-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone come across the speeds of the two vessels at the time of the collision? I think I saw the merchant ship was doing 12-14 knots?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RufusG
Has anyone come across the speeds of the two vessels at the time of the collision? I think I saw the merchant ship was doing 12-14 knots?

Not sure about the Fitzgerald, but it looks like the Crystal was doing 17.3 knots.

See:

[Linked Image]

Can't find any AIS tracking data for the Fitzgerald. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it wasn't transmitting any AIS data at the time (but that doesn't mean it wouldn't have been able to receive the Crystal's AIS data).

See:

http://www.vesselofinterest.com/2017/06/mapping-acx-crystals-collision-with-uss.html

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm sure one of the swabbies will correct me if i am wrong, but don't they have somebody manning a radar screen or something that should have seen that big fuggen boat way ahead of time?

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm sure one of the swabbies will correct me if i am wrong, but don't they have somebody manning a radar screen or something that should have seen that big fuggen boat way ahead of time?

The whole crew was preoccupied completing their online "Transgender Empathy " course...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

rem, I chuckled at 300 mags answer . . . sad but true . . . but yes there are plenty of crew and an officer on watch on the bridge with a radar screen showing all surface targets. There has to be something way out of the ordinary going on here.

I remember the USS Belknap Uss Kennedy collision in the Med that led to the court martial of both ship's captains. That was during pre-planned maneuvers, though. They towed the Belknap into Naval Station Rota Spain. I remember driving down to the pier one night, while on guard duty, and seeing that ghost ship, totally dark and eery, while all the other ships were lit up like Christmas trees.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/uss-belknap-collided-aircraft-carrier.html

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
kinda what i figgered but i'm an AF guy so what do i know?

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kinda what i figgered but i'm an AF guy so what do i know?

It's just like airplanes but with one less dimension. laugh Unless it's a submarine, then it's just like airplanes with the canopy spray painted black.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

rem, I chuckled at 300 mags answer . . . sad but true . . . but yes there are plenty of crew and an officer on watch on the bridge with a radar screen showing all surface targets. There has to be something way out of the ordinary going on here.

I remember the USS Belknap Uss Kennedy collision in the Med that led to the court martial of both ship's captains. That was during pre-planned maneuvers, though. They towed the Belknap into Naval Station Rota Spain. I remember driving down to the pier one night, while on guard duty, and seeing that ghost ship, totally dark and eery, while all the other ships were lit up like Christmas trees.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/uss-belknap-collided-aircraft-carrier.html

Any idea why the Belknap turned?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by g5m

My recollection is that the formation was in the process of doing some maneuver to port and the OOD misjudged the distance to the carrier and just got way ahead of himself.

ETA:
Actually, he got way behind himself. See page 17 of the pdf:
http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/investigations/USS%20KENNEDY%20AND%20BELKNAP%2075%20PT%202.pdf

Last edited by RufusG; 06/24/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by g5m

Belknap was executing a Corpen port turn to maintain position on the Kennedy which had gone to flight quarters to recover. Belknap was approximately 1500 to 2000 yards starboard beam to the Kennedy when the Officer of the Deck (a Ltjg - 02) order a full left rudder, into the Kennedy. The Kennedy, at flight quarters (during hours of darkness) had turned on their red recovery lighting, so they were not visible to the inexperienced (maneuvering with carriers) bridge team. The Captain of the Belknap was not n the bridge, and was acquitted of all charges during his court martial, as was the captain of the Kennedy. The Belknap Captain did receive a Letter of Reprimand for failing to adequately train his bridge watch team in proper seamanship maneuvering with a carrier. Eight fatalities.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[bleep] happens, but with today's technology's this kid of [bleep] shouldn't ever happen... I've brought up a few Navy collisions in the past in threads here, but the Hum-Dinger is that that took place right close by here in California at Point Honda!

Link

Link

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody is without fault (legally) in a marine accident, unless not under-way legally.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the responses to my question.

And here is a new article saying the Fitzgerald didn't respond to warnings:

http://news.trust.org/item/20170626101937-6xsul

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The following are excerpts from the June 27, 2017 Yokosuka, Japan memorial service for seven sailors who died aboard USS Fitzgerald on June 17, 2017. Speaking are Adm. Scott Swift, commander U.S. Pacific Fleet and Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, commander U.S. 7th Fleet.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Preliminary report about the results of the collision, not the cause.

http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...t-of-the-fitzgeralds-catastrophe-at-sea/

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pure and simple, the cause was negligence by both parties. The captains' careers are toast in both instances. May not directly be their fault in either case, but it's their responsibility.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/17/17.

1Minute
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision
By Reuters August 17, 2017 | 6:40pm
Modal Trigger US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision

WASHINGTON – About a dozen U.S. sailors are expected to face punishment for a collision in June between the USS Fitzgerald and a Philippine cargo ship, including the warship’s commander officer and other senior leaders of the ship, the Navy said on Thursday.

USS Fitzgerald crew made 'slew' of mistakes before deadly crash: report
Admiral Bill Moran, deputy chief of naval operations, told reporters that the ship’s commanding officer, executive officer and master chief, would be removed from the vessel because “we’ve lost trust and confidence in their ability to lead.”

Moran said that in total close to a dozen sailors would face punishment without detailing the exact punishment. (Reporting by Idrees Ali; Editing by Sandra Maler)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision
By Reuters August 17, 2017 | 6:40pm
Modal Trigger US sailors will be punished for USS Fitzgerald collision

WASHINGTON – About a dozen U.S. sailors are expected to face punishment for a collision in June between the USS Fitzgerald and a Philippine cargo ship, including the warship’s commander officer and other senior leaders of the ship, the Navy said on Thursday.

USS Fitzgerald crew made 'slew' of mistakes before deadly crash:
YaTHINK?? As most of us said from the get-go....

Although part of the crew punished might be the lookouts, it's more than possible that they dutifully informed the watch officer of the ship and that officer either hesitated to act, ignored the contact's bearing or was simply sleeping on the job...

I recall an op we were doing out at sea with a plane that was supposed to 'sneak' up on us while on the surface. Once spotted by the lookouts we were to dive as fast as possible and timed to see how quickly we got to periscope depth.. Nathan Hall spotted the plane and relayed the contact and position to the OOW who then called down to the OOD in the conning tower and asked if we should now dive...!!!!!!! Of course that delayed the dive by about 10+ seconds - and guess who got reamed by the Capt? Why, Hall, of course...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Although part of the crew punished might be the lookouts, it's more than possible that they dutifully informed the watch officer of the ship and that officer either hesitated to act"

That "should" all be recorded in the Ship's Log.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The co, xo and the command master chief were all relieved of their duties.
Reportedly some court marhalls may follow

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1337Fungi, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.