Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Someone stole a news station’s SUV in Downtown Albuquerque while the crew was gathering footage for a story about crime in the area.

Michelle Donaldson, KOB News Director, said the crew watched as the vehicle was stolen near 1st and Central.

The crew was in the area reporting on recent concerns about crime and safety by the local business Lavu when they became part of the story.

“I have a rule, that you can never be the lead of your own newscast,” Donaldson said. “So this violates that rule.”

KOB had recovered the vehicle within a half hour without police assistance by following the GPS tracking device that was on board, she said.

“We went to that location and recovered our own stolen vehicle,” Donaldson said.

She said the thief was no longer with the SUV and it had already been damaged. The SUV was locked and the keys were not left inside. Donaldson said she is not sure how the thief started the SUV.

“I’m relieved that our people are okay and I’m relieved that we’ve recovered our property, but I’m very angry that somebody can walk up to a parked, locked, vehicle in front of you in this city and drive it away,” she said. “It’s a helpless feeling to know you cant do anything about it.”

Lavu recently wrote a letter to the city expressing concerns about safety in the area for their employees and detailing recent incidents that involve alleged thefts and muggings.

“We were doing a story about those concerns, and the city’s response to those concerns when, ironically, we became victims of crime ourselves in exactly the area they’re talking about,” Donaldson said.

Donaldson said even though they have done many stories on Albuquerque crime, especially this year, it doesn’t make it any easier to accept.

“When it happens to you it’s personal, no question about it,” she said. “We spend our days telling other people’s stories, now it’s our story.”

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is really scary to park a late model pickup downtown these days!

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The border states are prime shopping ground for thieves, within a few hours the stolen vehicles are in Mexico.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Often, in a couple of days - in parts and pieces.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I left Albuquerque 43 years ago because of the crime.When my son found dropped off body on the irrigation ditch ,I figured that was enough.Guess it has only gotten worse. SE corner of Colorado Springs isn't much better though

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
they went over the list of cities that have those honors last week on the radio....

pretty much all of them were cities in states, that border Mexico...

who would have thought.,...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mexicans and car theft , whooda thunk?
ya know, if it weren't statistical data somebody would suggest this was racist.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think it can be racist unless they stole the auto from a black. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
mudhen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the car thieves are trying to feed a habit--meth, heroin, opioids, or all three. For the rest it's just a game--something to do for fun, thrills and to impress their friends. There is little negative reinforcement. If they are caught they will be quickly arraigned and released, and the chances of actually going to trial are pretty small. Some of those arrested have been arrested dozens of times and they are still out on the streets, day and night, looking for entertainment and a little excitement. It has apparently become a cultural thing among some teens and young adults.

It's the same with other varieties of property crime, as well, all of which have become epidemic. It used to be if you lived in the northeast heights, out on the west mesa, or up in Edgewood, you wouldn't have to worry much, but now it seems to be everywhere.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is really scary to park a late model pickup downtown these days!

Not an issue if it's a 6-speed manual. No one can drive it.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sixteen or so years ago when our big Dodge was rather new, my wife dropped me off at Peterson's in Albuquerque and drove to Coronado Mall. Some time later she called the shop and asked them to get me on the phone - told me that when she returned to the truck there was no lock in the door - just a hole. "Did I do something wrong to cause the lock to fall out?" Asked if the horn was blowing and lights flashing - "no, why". Now, this is a very, very smart gal - but pure of heart - and attempted theft did not enter her mind. Used the remote, got in and started it - no internal damage and no other issues. I did have one interesting time replacing that lock.

Reported it to Mall folks and the APD - their basic response was - "miracle you still have it - most are across the border really quickly". Then, again, it's a six speed manual - so maybe Manuel saw that and gave up on the theft.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 38 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.