Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) — When a dog that had already bit one of them charged a group of deputies, two of them opened fire. Authorities say they did not see the teenage boy standing some 30 feet (10 meters) behind, who was struck down by a bullet that apparently bounced on the concrete and hit him in the chest.

The 17-year-old, who had helped to restrain the dog after the first bite, died at a hospital an hour later, turning what began as a mere early-morning noise complaint at a party in Palmdale into a freak tragedy.
The same Los Angeles County deputy that was bitten by the dog was also hit by a bullet fragment Thursday but survived. He was treated at a hospital and released.

The dog, which survived the shooting, was later euthanized.

The boy's mother, Roberta Alcantar, said his name was Armando Garcia-Muro, the eldest of four siblings about to start his senior year of high school. She said he loved dogs and planned to go into construction.

"He was a very loving person,"Alcantar told the Los Angeles Times.

Sheriff's Capt. Christopher Bergner called it an "extremely, extremely unfortunate incident," adding that it didn't appear the deputies saw the teen in the dark before they fired.

After the male pit bull first bit the deputy, Garcia-Muro restrained the dog behind the apartment complex that is also home to his mother, his aunt, and a neighbor who owns the dog. Then it broke loose and charged again.

http://www.kivitv.com/news/national/deputies-firing-on-charging-dog-hit-kill-teen-boy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tragic story. Another pit bull involved. Just an ordinary dog, until they aren't.

Last edited by ShadeTree; 06/24/17.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This story just doesn't ring true, the dog has bit a Deputy, now the kid has caught and is holding the dog when he breaks away and goes after the Deputies again, the kid is a neighbor but not the owner?? Guess the dog doesn't like uniforms must remind him of the dog catcher.??? I remember when I was delivering milk in LA CA, would come up scratch the dog's ears go in put stuff in fridge come out and find mailman kicking at the same dog I would call him off and mailman would deliver the mail and take off. Is it the uniform or is it that too many people are just giving of a fear scent that causes the dogs to react. In all the time I delivered I was bit only once and I knew that dog would try and it also knew I would kill it if it tried but was kept in the house. One morning they forgot to take the dog in, it never made a sound just came up behind me bit and ran. I just think there is more playing out here than meet the eye. JMT you may see it different . Cheers NC

Last edited by northcountry; 06/24/17.

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
One thing that is playing out is that we non professionals know that bullets ricochet, travel through things, and carry way past 30 feet.

As for pit bulls, the owners have as much or more to do with the dog's personality than the breed. 40 years ago it was Alsatians, Dobermans, and Rottweilers who were the bad dogs. I have a greyhound/doberman/shepherd/? who is protective of my wife. What of cops had to come here?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kennyd
One thing that is playing out is that we non professionals know that bullets ricochet, travel through things, and carry way past 30 feet.

As for pit bulls, the owners have as much or more to do with the dog's personality than the breed. 40 years ago it was Alsatians, Dobermans, and Rottweilers who were the bad dogs. I have a greyhound/doberman/shepherd/? who is protective of my wife. What of cops had to come here?

Many breeds of dogs are naturally protective. You can't make your dog stand down if you need to?? It will just tear loose from you and attack anyone even though you are telling it NO and to back down? I would sure hope not. That's just one of the differences with a lot of pit bulls and the normal dog. Once their brain kicks into attack mode it's gonna take a bullet or 2 men with breaking sticks prying their jaws apart to get them off the victim. They are NOT a normal dog. I'd venture to say the police officers knew that, that's why the first reaction was to start firing.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Only thing anyone knows for sure is that officers again were in panic mode and started firing recklessly!

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Only thing anyone knows for sure is that officers again were in panic mode and started firing recklessly!

Phil

And you know this how?

Simply shooting a dog means they are in panic mode?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Seward police officer shot a black bear in town with a 12 gauge slug. It ricocheted off a rock after passing through the bear and popped a bystander in the chest. No penetration, just a serious bruise...

He was not panicing either.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever one should think before they shoot. Once they shoot the bullet has no mind to think. It can kill whatever it hits.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 06/24/17.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Local news covering the story states the boy was 40 ft away when caught the ricochet bullet. Also reported it was dark out and the Deputies never saw the boy walked from behind the home into the line of fire.

The Deputy that had been bit also caught a piece of ricocheting bullet.

Ted
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sounds like a happy ending. The more people that die in California the better, right?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fester
Sounds like a happy ending. The more people that die in California the better, right?

grin

Um.... depends on which ones.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
😉

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
My dog does not attack, barks and stays close to wife. We have had several instances in this area alone where LE has shot dogs that were retreating just like they are taught, remove all threats. As for being bred for protection, the mutt I have comes from the breeds usually used for such. I worry because she weighs 95 pounds, looks mean with those big teeth, and does not like touched by strangers and does not seperate from the wife if there are unknown people around. There is a good chance I will not be home when the wife needs help because of her health. There are 4 or 5e neighbors who will help control and take care of her but look at this outcome here, neighbor was killed.

Last edited by kennyd; 06/24/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH

PALMDALE, Calif. (AP) — When a dog that had already bit one of them charged a group of deputies, two of them opened fire. Authorities say they did not see the teenage boy standing some 30 feet (10 meters) behind, who was struck down by a bullet that apparently bounced on the concrete and hit him in the chest.

The 17-year-old, who had helped to restrain the dog after the first bite, died at a hospital an hour later, turning what began as a mere early-morning noise complaint at a party in Palmdale into a freak tragedy.
The same Los Angeles County deputy that was bitten by the dog was also hit by a bullet fragment Thursday but survived. He was treated at a hospital and released.

The boy's mother, Roberta Alcantar, said his name was Armando Garcia-Muro, the eldest of four siblings about to start his senior year of high school. She said he loved dogs and planned to go into construction.

Sheriff's Capt. Christopher Bergner called it an "extremely, extremely unfortunate incident," adding that it didn't appear the deputies saw the teen in the dark before they fired.

After the male pit bull first bit the deputy, Garcia-Muro restrained the dog behind the apartment complex that is also home to his mother, his aunt, and a neighbor who owns the dog. Then it broke loose and charged again.

http://www.kivitv.com/news/national/deputies-firing-on-charging-dog-hit-kill-teen-boy

What, exactly, did a cop do to you (or not) that drives you to search the internet all day for Charlie Foxtrot's that can be twisted controversial?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by 700LH

What, exactly, did a cop do to you (or not) that drives you to search the internet all day for Charlie Foxtrot's that can be twisted controversial?

Story is on a local channel news, Why are you so sensitive about it?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a sensitive guy.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm a sensitive guy.

bastid, coffee out through the nose all over the keyboard! Who's gonna clean this mess up?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty uninformative article. We'll see what really happened. Maybe that's the gist of it.

Ain't no dog worth a human life. Pay attention to what's behind you, especially over a damn dog.

It's some gay schitt to obsess over police shootings and post them on the internet. Chickenschitt, homo behavior. A banner 700LH waves with pride and with fervor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
They are NOT a normal dog. I'd venture to say the police officers knew that, that's why the first reaction was to start firing.

So if it was a German shepherd in a snarling fit of rage on the attack, officers would not have fired?

Do LEOs have specifically different procedures for savage PBs vs other imminently life threatening
dangerous dogs?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.