Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
hello gentleman its been a few years since ive been on the campfire as I was going through I few things in my life and time was somewhat short for some of the simple pleasures.the reason for my post is to gather some info from many of you on some of the lakes in Alaska which would be a nice place for a log cabin type home which has access by boat or snowmachine and is not to far from some civilization.somewhere with stores for regular necessities for your daily living where you could load up for a week or two and then go again if need be.not I would say off the grid to much but away from the masses and with not a lot of development.would like a hot shower and running water possibly satellite tv but could go with solar and heavy generator systems for electricity.i have looked at some lakes up there and done a little research but will do more and am hoping to get some from here.it would be my dream in a few years to possibly move to this beautiful area.hunting and fishing have always been a large part of my life and the lower 48 is becoming a place where the way of life is not what I want nor are so many of the people.people and this political climate and the extreme dumbing down of society are getting worse weekly and I'm getting out sooner than later.anyway thanks ahead of time for any help. ps larger lakes preferably for 24 to 28 boat.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd go salt

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd go salt

^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

I'd look at Southeast [Haines] or Kodiak.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kodiak would fit a lot of that, and it is only 41 minutes to Anchorage. I miss it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seldovia would be a good fit

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Retiring or needing to work?
Salt, or not?
How cold can you tolerate?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like Seldovia is a nice place.

S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thanks for the replys so far.i forgot to mention in my first text that I was looking primarily at southwestern,southcentral and maybe the southern strip off Yukon and bc.will be retiring and the cold is something that can be dealt with but not to extreme would be better.i am not against the rivers or salt.parents had a home retreat in far upstate ny in my early young adult years on a beautiful lake in the Adirondacks and it was truly spectacular.alaska would only be more multiplied by 10.so anything else gentleman as far as ideas appreciated.god willing want to hunt grizz and brown,moose,caribou and more.catch some fish especially salmon and meet some real nice like minded people who also enjoy a good beverage on occasion.just have to work on the wife a little more.shouldnt be a issue. thans again

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where was the Adirondack house? I discovered Tupper Lake area a few years ago and it is becoming a favorite for camping and flat water kayak trips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We're Closed.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
kid0917 we were on Schroon lake about 45 minutes above lake George.started going up there in 1965 and had the place until 85.many great memories and know people who spent time on tupper lake.as far as Alaska being closed stevelyn you cant keep it all to yourself lol

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Do your homework. It can be very expensive living in the bush. Flying in and out and shopping are killers. Not sure what you are thinking along the Yukon, Maybe St. Mary's would work, don't think I'd try Mtn Village, possibly Marshall but a lot of villages on the Yukon don't particularly care for whites. Plus you still need to be able to get around, boat, ATV, snowmachine, whatever.

I wouldn't mind Kotz or Nome, but it's been a while since I've been to either. It starts getting a might cool up there in the winter though.

Not much work in the villages if you need to make a few extra bucks. Alaska in general is going through tough times.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sloone
kid0917 we were on Schroon lake about 45 minutes above lake George.started going up there in 1965 and had the place until 85.many great memories and know people who spent time on tupper lake.as far as Alaska being closed stevelyn you cant keep it all to yourself lol

My gramma was born in Keene. I just spent almost a week in lake placid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Great Uncle owned the cab company in Lake Placid through the Olympic games and family still owns it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sloone

Cool! You must know of Olmsteadville. I bought my kevlar kayak there about 2 years ago. They been making the same model for about 40 years, but have added carbon fiber in recent years. Hornbeck Boats!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your on the river make sure to wave at everyone you meet grin

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thanks guys for all the responses.was at the 80 Olympics for several events including hockey game against Russia.it was pretty cool and yes the atmosphere in lake placid was great.thanks again.god willing I will make it up there and enjoy the great beauty and outdoors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything can be done with enough time and money. There are three types of people that live in remote Alaska. Those that are independently wealthy, those that take a vow of poverty, and those that sponge off the government. Forget about the romantic books or the lack of reality Alaskan TV shows, you need some serious money for the equipment and shipping materials and supplies to build a remote cabin and keep you in fuel and food. I'd venture to say no one in Alaska lives 100% off the land, so you will have to supplement what you harvest from the water and land with what you ship in for the grocery store. Now if you can't afford what it costs to live remotely, and there are no jobs out there, you end up in a bit of a quandary which is how many find themselves sponging off the government.

I highly recommend moving to Alaska and renting for two years to get a feel for the state and to research with boots on ground any prospective land you want to buy. You need to see what that land is like in summer, freeze up, winter and breakup. If you're location requires access across lakes or rivers, then you'll have approximately a month during freeze up and breakup when you cannot safely travel to or from your cabin. Many locations have issues with swampy land, poor soil and even by Alaskan standards difficult access. Areas that aren't so hard to get to run the risk of being broken into by meth heads or heroine addicts.

the lower 48 is becoming a place where the way of life is not what I want nor are so many of the people. People and this political climate and the extreme dumbing down of society are getting worse weekly and I'm getting out sooner than later.

I don't mean to be a downer but sadly in many ways Alaska isn't that different than the lower 48 in terms of people problems. Many people flee the lower 48 and bring their problems with them.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well summed up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
sloone Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
thanks to all again.it is a small world it seems at times.to 458 lott I realize as you have stated it is difficult to get away from the trouble and issues in society today.i am not a wealthy man but also have done better than some.it is sad to say but wealth can can take you places and let you live in places in this world that can isolate you from most of the population that causes over 90% of the crime and trouble.thats not me but I hope that within the next few years I will be able to get somewhere somewhat remote up there and live some peaceful,exciting and enjoyable healthy years hunting and fishing and just living the beauty of Alaska.will keep you guys updated.thanks again. ps lake louise didn't look to bad.any opinions on that and lake sustina and the surrounding area.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.