Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Inguinal, done around 2000. Cut open w mesh type.
Back to work in 2 weeks.
Pain killers for 2 days.

My surgery was due to a botched prev surgery, where doc went exploratory and ripped me.

Pain was for 3 yrs, pretty brutal. Dunno if that from initial surgery or hernia repair (or just a combo).
Did feel a pop after 2 yrs and my pain went down 50% the next day.
Suspect mesh/scar tissue abrading nerve............the big nerve that goes to nuts.

All better, wife a size 1...............and she leaves. Too funny.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/01/17.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just had umbilical hernia surgery about 9 weeks ago. Doc was able to push it back in with her fingers easily and said, "That's a good sign". I asked what that meant and she said that it probably wasn't pinched off which could lead to gangrene (my word, can't remember her term). No mesh was needed. I was in and back out of the hospital in about 5 or 6 hours.

Pulled my back the day before surgery, and was in a lot of pain, but tried to suck it up as everything had already been coordinated with work, insurance, and the hospital. (Didn't bother to mention my back to them.) When they wheeled me in to the operating room, they asked me to slide over from my cot onto the operating table.. OH that hurt!! Several nurses were making pre-op small talk and one was unusually quiet. When the quiet one suddenly started talking up a storm to me, I thought to myself, "Keep your eye on this one, she's up to something". Next thing I knew, I woke up in recovery.

Found out they won't release you until you pee. I'd been holding it for awhile as my family and the nurse were hanging out talking to me in the recovery bed. Finally I had to go. After I did, the nurse told me that I could leave now. I said, "You mean you've been waiting all this time for me to pee?" He said, "Yep". Heck, I could have left at least an hour sooner had I known that.

They put a tight belly band on me and said not to take it off for something like a week, and it was okay to shower with it on. They gave me Percocet, IIRC, for pain. I took it for about a day-and-half at half the dosage they suggested I could use. I wish someone would have suggested stool softener prior to all of this as I couldn't take a dump for almost 3 days. I read, after it was too late, that this a pretty common reaction to the medication given for surgery and pain.

Was on a 20 lb lifting restriction for the first 2 weeks, then 60 lbs for the next 4 weeks. I felt pretty good by the end of week 3. Doctor told me that at 6 weeks I'd be as good as I was ever going to be healing wise, but that the scar tissue will be hard, but soften to normal by about 9 months.

Went back to work after 6 weeks off. Wish I could have had another couple weeks off to enjoy myself, but if my job didn't involve straining, I could have realistically been back at it in three weeks.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had a burn in the repair side once in a while, for a few more yrs...........odd feeling, tight.
Was in excellent shape when surgery done. Now I'm older/fatter and the burn is gone.

Last yr I ripped open the other side, could feel guts pushing on it when I did heavy stuff at work. No big ol' garden hose pop out like other side did.
But that odd burn/sickly feeling, pressure and stuff not acting right.

I decided to take it easy and have not had it burn or felt pressure on that spot for over 6 months.
Small ones can heal....................maybe.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
ghemry, the word is strangulate, where the abdominl a muscles close tight around the intestine poking through.

I've had 3 hernia repairs.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hookeye
Inguinal, done around 2000. Cut, open type.
Back to work in 2 weeks.
Pain killers for 2 days.

My surgery was due to a botched prev surgery, where doc went exploratory and ripped me.

Pain was for 3 yrs, pretty brutal. Dunno if that from initial surgery or hernia repair (or just a combo).
Did feel a pop after 2 yrs and my pain went down 50% the next day.
Suspect mesh/scar tissue abrading nerve............the big nerve that goes to nuts.

All better, wife a size 1...............and she leaves. Too funny.

Sounds like an adhesion tore loose.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by uno
... had to have revision surgery to put my transverse Colin and about half small intestines back inside, needless to say I did not use the same doctor. Check you Physicians experience and success rates with the type of repair being done!

1) This ^^^^ Before I had mine done, I went to a friend who was a traveling home health nurse. Asked her which general surgeon she saw the least number of, in home, post op, issues with ? There was one who was at the top of her list. That's the one I used. No issues on my side. Find a friend or acquaintance in the local medical field and have a candid side bar conversation.

2) As also said above, give yourself time. I had an office job at the time. Figured I would go back to work one week post op. Tried to bend over to tie my show laces at the one week mark. Wrong. Couldn't do it. My dad used same surgeon a year later to correct a double hernia. Initial outcome was good. However, he started feeling frisky the second or third week and buggered something up working around the farm. Took him almost 6 months before whatever he buggered up resolved itself and stopped hurting. It takes how long it takes...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,432
Posts18,507,574
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.