Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I bet it'll be nice! Can't see where you'd go wrong with any standard/medium sporter contour that finishes .6ish or a bit more at 25.

I've always been fond of the look of Remington tapers, especially the KS. Kinda between a MR and a sporter. Though I'm sure some would get their nuts twisted over it being on a P64 Win action. Lol.

Gunner,

I had to read through the comments first and have to agree with Mooner. My first inclination would be to dupe a KS contour. In fact, when I get to it, that's exactly what I plan to do with the 700 magnum action sitting in my safe.

Other than that it would be a Bartlein 2b or 3 if fluted.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/Zyg3GaKQqqqSr1whg6dqQSjnDdq98oKVXLrHPLeKpIm

Still trying how to post pictures. Photobucket screwed us.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/08/17.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I found this on another post.I like it.You download your photo and it gives you a lot of links below it.Just click on the box to the right of the link you choose and it will copy,then you just paste it.So easy,like photobucket. postimages.org/login?logout

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by baldhunter
I found this on another post.I like it.You download your photo and it gives you a lot of links below it.Just click on the box to the right of the link you choose and it will copy,then you just paste it.So easy,like photobucket. postimages.org/login?logout

Thank you. Checking it out now.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Gunner, so I built mine pretty much off of Bobs rifle. I used a P64 Magnum action, Echols Legend EDGE shell, I started with a 2B which Kevin Weaver contoured down to copy a Krieger #2. I had the barrel cut at 25". Mine was Cerrakoted Midnight Blue as well. With the 3x9 SWFA SS and TPS alloys it goes 8.5 lbs. Its a little heavier than what Bobs was, probably more the scope than Anything plus I used Blackburn BM which is heavy stuff.

I think the 160 Accubond is a great choice but the 7mm is flooded with awesome hunting Bullets. You can't hardly go wrong with any of them.

10-4 Beretz, I saw pics of your rifle and like it a lot, mine with the #3 barrel but wearing a lighter 3.5-10x40 may top out at around 9lbs which is more than fine with me, still 7lbs lighter than a bull barreled 45-110 Sharps. smile

The 160 AB will be a nice place to start, I can't think of a better more proven straight hunting bullet with a descent bc than the 7mm 160 gr AB, if it doesn't shoot, I'll look elsewhere, with the 154 IB's being at the top of the list, I need a Mashburn about like another hole in the head, but hey, all the cool guys have one ;]

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I bet it'll be nice! Can't see where you'd go wrong with any standard/medium sporter contour that finishes .6ish or a bit more at 25.

I've always been fond of the look of Remington tapers, especially the KS. Kinda between a MR and a sporter. Though I'm sure some would get their nuts twisted over it being on a P64 Win action. Lol.

Gunner,

I had to read through the comments first and have to agree with Mooner. My first inclination would be to dupe a KS contour. In fact, when I get to it, that's exactly what I plan to do with the 700 magnum action sitting in my safe.

Other than that it would be a Bartlein 2b or 3 if fluted.

Thanks Bob, and noted, a #3 fluted may be a consideration if it doesn't look to flashy screwed to an old M-70 action.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Gunner, so I built mine pretty much off of Bobs rifle. I used a P64 Magnum action, Echols Legend EDGE shell, I started with a 2B which Kevin Weaver contoured down to copy a Krieger #2. I had the barrel cut at 25". Mine was Cerrakoted Midnight Blue as well. With the 3x9 SWFA SS and TPS alloys it goes 8.5 lbs. Its a little heavier than what Bobs was, probably more the scope than Anything plus I used Blackburn BM which is heavy stuff.

I think the 160 Accubond is a great choice but the 7mm is flooded with awesome hunting Bullets. You can't hardly go wrong with any of them.

10-4 Beretz, I saw pics of your rifle and like it a lot, mine with the #3 barrel but wearing a lighter 3.5-10x40 may top out at around 9lbs which is more than fine with me, still 7lbs lighter than a bull barreled 45-110 Sharps. smile

The 160 AB will be a nice place to start, I can't think of a better more proven straight hunting bullet with a descent bc than the 7mm 160 gr AB, if it doesn't shoot, I'll look elsewhere, with the 154 IB's being at the top of the list, I need a Mashburn about like another hole in the head, but hey, all the cool guys have one ;]

I've really never been disappointed with the 160 AB. It has crushed everything it's been shot at so far between myself and friends. It might be my favorite Accubond just out of sheer use and it is usually pretty accurate as well.

I just can't help but try some other Bullets since there are so many good ones out there. One Mashburn shooter is running 120 TTSXs at 3600 from his rifle and smokes elk and bear pretty handily too. Tons of options.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The 160gr Accubond is a way better bullet than the 140gr Accubond.I like the 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips too.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dober really liked the 150 Ballistic Tips in his 7mm MSM. From what he says it was almost unfair how well they work over a pile of 7828...

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I've really never been disappointed with the 160 AB. It has crushed everything it's been shot at so far between myself and friends. It might be my favorite Accubond just out of sheer use and it is usually pretty accurate as well.

I just can't help but try some other Bullets since there are so many good ones out there. One Mashburn shooter is running 120 TTSXs at 3600 from his rifle and smokes elk and bear pretty handily too. Tons of options.

10-4 Beretz, with an 8 twist I'll be looking at 160 grains first with the option of going up in weight, need to check, but the heaviest offered LRX Barnes may be a contender too.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be thinking RL33 and 175 Hornady ELD-X, 180 ELD-M, 180 Scenar. Might as well use those cubic inches of case space:) The Scenar is well proven on elk, bears and deer for us. The 180 ELD is getting some rides this year.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got some 175 ELD. Just formed and loaded some fireforming loads in RWS cases. Hoping to get out and shoot them tomorrow. I haven't decided which bullet I wanna run just yet.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'll sure give em some hard thought men, my level of retardation kicks into overdrive when I start thinking about heavy game hunting with accurate target bullets. eek shocked

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'll sure give em some hard thought men, my level of retardation kicks into overdrive when I start thinking about heavy game hunting with accurate target bullets. eek shocked

I might try something different out once I get one solid hunting load developed and in the book. Right now I've got a bunch of 7mm Bullets but not enough time.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
YUP, 'time' the thing that gets in our way constantly, do any of you men like the 168/175 gr Nosler accubond long range bullets?

If they'll shoot accurately and hold up to short range crashes into big game, they seem to be the best of both worlds, albeit the b.c.'s being slightly inflated I'll bet.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I haven't tried them Gunner. I probably should give them a whirl and see what happens. I've got the twist and enough powder room to push them pretty quick.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 beretz, indeed, much speed with the Mashburn, if they're kinda fragile they may be better 280/280AI projectiles.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The old cloverleaf tang M-70 300 H&H action and Conetrol rings and bases on the way to Redneck, along with a #3 Brux SS 8 twist 28" barrel '630" at the muzzle.

200 sticks of Norma 300 Win Mag brass along with a set of dies on the way to me, this is coming along just fine, now to find a stock and a scope. smile

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The old cloverleaf tang M-70 300 H&H action and Conetrol rings and bases on the way to Redneck, along with a #3 Brux SS 8 twist 28" barrel '630" at the muzzle.

200 sticks of Norma 300 Win Mag brass along with a set of dies on the way to me, this is coming along just fine, now to find a stock and a scope. smile

Sounds great.

IIRC, last time, you starting with a scope, building down from there... laugh

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/20/17.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd be thinking RL33 and 175 Hornady ELD-X, 180 ELD-M, 180 Scenar. Might as well use those cubic inches of case space:) The Scenar is well proven on elk, bears and deer for us. The 180 ELD is getting some rides this year.

Vihtavuori n-570 is a coarse stick powder that just about won't run thru a powder measure. I remove the drop tube, throw a charge in a powder scale pan, weight each load.

But, in rounds like that it has some great numbers. Check out QL if they have that round in their program. Burn rate close to the old 870 powders, but it's a double based, high energy, dense powder. I wouldn't be surprised if n-570 out performs RL-33.

Powder Valley had it last time I checked.

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,668
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.