-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I managed to get 120 once fired brass cleaned, sized, trimmed, and primed. Getting ready to load powder and bullets. That's when I noticed the reason the brass was so hard to size: they are RCBS Small Base dies! Had to read up on what that was about and it seems these dies FL size to a few mils UNDER SAMMI specs to make them easy to feed in tight chambers. Which I don't have.

Never even heard of those "small base dies". I bought them from a "not so forthcoming" seller who simply said they were 30-06 dies. Well they are, but dang they're not normal regular dies!

I'm trying to work up a load and I'd rather not keep using SB dies as I want to get to just neck size once fired brass as this is the only 30-06 I have. Thinking I'll jsut replace the SB dies, punch out and re-use the primers, and toss the brass. Why? I'm thinking the brass will rattle around in the chamber which can't help accuracy any and I don't want the expense of fire forming the brass back to size. I think I just wasted it all. frown

Is that the right thing to do?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think you're jumping the gun. Fill twenty with your pet load and see how they do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Thinking I'll jsut replace the SB dies, punch out and re-use the primers, and toss the brass. Why? I'm thinking the brass will rattle around in the chamber which can't help accuracy any and I don't want the expense of fire forming the brass back to size. I think I just wasted it all. frown

Is that the right thing to do?

You're overthinking this. Load 'em and shoot 'em, the difference is minimal.

Buy a new set of normal dies if it makes you feel better, but the ones you've sized are fine.

Buy a Lee Collet die too, life will be easier.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
+1 on the Lee collet die.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
GG, what type of lube are you using on your cases?

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is from RCBS at the following link ...

http://rcbs.com/Help/FAQ-s.aspx

Q: I see a Small Base Die Set listed for my caliber. Do I need these or should I buy a Full Length Die Set or Neck Die Set? How does each set differ?

A: The Small Base Die set is intended for use for ammunition to be used in auto, semi-auto, and lever action rifles so that the loaded round chambers and extracts easily. The Small Base Sizer Die sizes the case from the shoulder to the head of the case a couple of thousandths smaller than a Full Length Sizer Die. In certain calibers it also sets the shoulder of the case back a thousandth or two more than the Full Length Sizer Die. The Full Length Die Set or Neck Die Set is not normally recommended for ammo to be used in auto, semi-auto, or lever action rifles. The Full Length Die set is recommended for ammunition used in bolt action rifles, particularly for ammunition to be used for hunting. The Neck Die Set can also be used to produce ammunition for use in bolt action rifles. The Neck Sizer Die sizes only the neck of the case so it will hold the bullet firmly. It does not size the body of the case nor does it set the shoulder back. Neck sized cases will usually chamber for three or more firings, depending on the powder charge and chamber dimensions. However, over a period of time, a slight drag will be noticed when the bolt is locked. At this point, cases will need to be full length sized and the shoulder set back so they will chamber and extract easily.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Small base dies resize to min SAMI specs not under. It sizes to new brass specs . That brass will work in any .06. Usually you use them for semis, and pumps. Full Length regular dies sizes to a spec that would fit any .06 also,but not quite as much as small base. You could still use them to partial size just like a full length size die , but set the die such that you just barely kiss the shoulder or less. Unless you have custom chamber cut to minimum,you will never see a difference in an off the line hunting rifle .At the most,you will see shorter case life, just as you would if you full length resized any brass vs neck sizing

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've a pretty good supply of 30-06 ammo made up of range pick up brass run through a small base sizer. It was shined up and inspected for obvious defects but not really sorted. All of it was loaded with 48 gr of imr4895 under whatever 150 gr bullet was cheapest and lit with cci primers. Mostly this was used for offhand practice in an M1, but it has been known to find its way into a scoped sporter from time to time. The worst it's done is around 2" for a 3 shot group. I'd not worry much about accuracy issues.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

RCBS or Lyman. Have both. Have had no "hard re-sizing" with 30-30 or 308. Just these 30-06 with SB dies. They be tight!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've ordered set of NORMAL dies. Already have a Lee Factory Crimp Die, which I like on the 30-30, 308, and 348 Win.

Just for chuckles I'm going to load up some Remington brass sized with the new dies and some of the "undersized" Federals. Same COL and powder weight. See what difference it makes. Be at least 2 weeks before I can get back to the range. frown

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 06/29/17.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
BTW. If anyone needs a SB , .06 die, I have a one for sale

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Me too!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A set of small base dies was The Cure for a buddy who loads for his M1 Garand.

I've never needed them for my bolt action rifles.

Guy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

RCBS or Lyman. Have both. Have had no "hard re-sizing" with 30-30 or 308. Just these 30-06 with SB dies. They be tight!

Imperial Sizing DIe Wax is your friend.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
gun geezer p.m. sent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Buy some Imperial Sizing Wax or Hornady Unique. Major improvement.

Some of it's tragic,
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.