Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good info - was looking at them the other day.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aron's sandwiches are bagel, pb, and bacon. I've tried them and they're darn good and high in fat/protein which keeps you going past what the carbs give you. You might take a look at this as well. Pricey but really good and more nutritionally sound than MH, Alpineair, Backpackers pantry.

https://www.heatherschoice.com/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alukban
I love bringing jerky.

With the MH saved for dinner, I snack on the jerky pretty much throughout the day when out camping.

I make my own and only very lightly salt it. That's it. I leave any and all the fat on. The aged fat on the jerky puts it on a different level of satisfaction, calories, and ultra beefy flavor.

I'll dehydrate whole steaks at 160°F for 48 hrs and then crumble them down to whatever size I want.

[Linked Image]

Alukban, any tips for drying steaks? How thick should they be before drying? Any favorite cuts?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I used to do it in an oven but bought myself a real dehydrator last year.

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z915M4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will dehydrate any and all cuts (venison and beef) with just a light dusting of salt - nothing else. I find that spices get in the way of the flavor of the meat. I will tend to buy bottom round roast when it is on sale because is goes down to about $3/lb.

When I do slice the meat myself, I do it with the meat partially frozen to make it easier to slice thin (<1/4"). When the meat is partially frozen, it squirms less. Sliced like this, it takes a full 24 hrs to dehydrate using the above machine set at it's highest temp of ~165°F. It will be reduced to about 25% of its original weight and will crumble readily.

When I get the butcher to slice the meat "thin", I will end up with up to ~1/2" thick slices. These will take ~48 hrs to dehydrate to about 25% of original weight. The whole thing is easier when the butcher does the slicing smile

I LEAVE THE FAT ON and it tastes absolutely glorious. All of the aged, beefy flavor is in that fat. I will store it in Ziploc freezer bags in the freezer and can eat them directly from the freezer because they don't have much water to freeze and thus harden - duh wink

[Linked Image]

I discovered the leaving the fat on thing when I started doing biltong in a cardboard box with a fan. I had never had beef so rich and flavorful. It was the gawd danged "dehydrated fat". Fat does NOT dehydrate, I know. It was aged in the process of dehydrating the rest of the meat.

I dunno if it can poison me or what not. Big boy rules apply. Do this at your own risk, etc, yadi-yada.

Biltong
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by alukban; 07/06/17.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Warm weather can affect the use of dairy products described below. That said:

Salami, butter and string cheese on the big crackers like ry-krisp.

Mix peanut butter, crumbled bacon and whatever sweet syrupy thing you like, put it in the Coghlan food tube, and squeeze out a line to eat with a bite of bagel. Might need to warm it in a pocket for a bit first...

A block of cream cheese to be chunked onto whole wheat/cinnamon/raisin bagels...

Logan bread - search here for recipes, soak the grains first, and aim low on qty of baking powder...

I eat cold food and don't bring a stove unless game size dictates the packout will be more than one trip, or if I have the kids with.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Al!! I plan to try some in my electric smoker, I can easily get the temp to hover at 160. And put a little smoke on it, to boot!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When you get around to trying that fat and you loves it... say a little prayer to God for creating all the delicious creatures smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Will do, thanks again.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alukban
When you get around to trying that fat and you loves it... say a little prayer to God for creating all the delicious creatures smile

First batch just went in the smoker. Not a ton of fat, but enough to test your theory. Lightly salted only, of course.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.