Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
If you are concerned about the stability of the trailer, rent one slightly larger longer. You will appreciate more width and a taller ceiling anyway to facilitate getting your motorcycle inside and securing it properly.

Sorry - slight correction.. Longer trailers definitely pull better with less chance of 'sway'...(loaded correctly, of course).. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by tzone
I'd go the speed limit.

Realistically, check the tires and see what they're rated for. 75 may be pushing it on smaller trailer tires.
Trailer tires (ST) are most often rated for 65 mph. I would NOT go over that. And the note on the trailer re:55 mph is just a way for them to transfer responsibility onto you if you have a crash and is found to be over that limit..

Every U-Haul trailer I see is goin' at LEAST 10 over the tire limits and usually 10 over the road's speed limit..

Yep, read the tires. I would NOT exceed the tire rating.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Folks,

I'm renting a uhaul 5x8 enclosed trailer next month to tow a motorcycle(dirtbike) from Texas to Colorado. I'll be using my Tundra(4.6L) as the tow vehicle. The total weight of the trailer, including bike and gear will be appx 1350 pounds. Uhaul states the max tow speed as 55 mph. I know this is probably due to liability, but assuming the tires are in good shape and properly inflated, trailer loaded with weight biased towards the front, dry road, etc. what is the max speed you'd recommend? Would 70-75 mph be out of the question, or should I back it down a bit? I can't imagine driving 950 miles at 55-60 mph, but if anything beyond is creating undue risk, I'm ok backing it down.

What do you guy's think?

You'll be fine. Hundreds of those trailers are drug up and down the interstates everyday at speeds greater than 55mph. Would I bomb down a mountain going three digits? No. Cruise 70ish across texas and Colorado? Sure.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've pulled trailers close to a million miles going to rodeos all over the west. From 1 horse single axles to 36' stock trailers and some tractor trailers. Load them tongue heavy and put 10 pounds more air than the tires are rated for. Keep them level or tongue low when loaded. A few of the trailers like your renting are prone to whip so if the above doesn't help get a bigger one. Speed doesn't seem to affect this at all.

YMMV, Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've hauled a number of U-Haul trailers many times between 70 and 80 mph without a problem..
Just use common sense and drive appropriately for the traffic conditions..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Most utility trailers have ST rated tires that max out at 65 MPH. Much higher, they will start to over heat because of the sidewall flexing. Can you get away with going faster---maybe. A blowout at 70 mph on a trailer is fun to watch if it happens to someone else. Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, speed that is.

Kevin
NRA Lifetime Member
Retired, Fulltime RV'er
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's been my experience nothing good comes from being in a hurry with a trailer, forward or backward.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remove their 55 mph sticker !!!! Haul ass ,them little tires will spin right off the rim !!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
I pulled a few of them across the country several times for moves when I was in the military. I can testify that they do just fine at 85 grin

Same here....coast to coast. One trip was under 50 hrs.....67 Camaro both times.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Load it properly and rock on, 55 is silly, on interstate.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tow any speed you want, but don't plan any successful liability claim against u haul if the trailer self destructs and your bike gets totaled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
CHeck hitch, chains, tires, pressure, bearings.

Drive sensibly. 55mph is dangerous on interstates down in America.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First rented a U-Haul (4x6) to move to AZ from PA in 1961, and my 54 Chev with the OHV 6 hardly would turn more than 60 - so we chose 55. Since then I have rented many, many and learned quite a bit about U-Haul. They build them strong, use good materials and have a well-proven design. And, seems they use better tires than those we usually get at tire stores for our light trailers. All of the above is to their advantage - avoidance of road trouble means good rep and repeat customers. There is a reason why you see so many sailing down the Interstates - running fast - without problems.

Apply the advice given above by some experienced trailer guys (size, loading, tongue weight, etc.) and have a good, safe and speedy trip.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Happy_Prospector
Most utility trailers have ST rated tires that max out at 65 MPH. Much higher, they will start to over heat because of the sidewall flexing. Can you get away with going faster---maybe. A blowout at 70 mph on a trailer is fun to watch if it happens to someone else. Remember: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, speed that is.

I'm probably one of the few guys that had a blow-out with a U-Haul trailer on the freeway, and walked away.

I rented a U-Haul tow-dolly, different than the trailer, but same limitations. Started in Alabama with decent, but worn tires on the dolly, and 56 Chevy sedan as the load. By the time I made Tennessee, one of the tires had to be replaced, it was shredding the tread. I asked for an inspection of the dolly and was told it was "good to go". I was given two new tires and rolled on.

By the time I reached Oregon, the tires were down to 25% tread and badly cupped. I had a half a day to go, screw-it, press on. Mid-day on the freeway, the right dolly tire blew, dragging my pick-up into the guard rail, and the load. We bounced down the guardrail, and I did as best I could keep the two vehicles straight. The pick-up finally caught the guardrail or a post, bounced to the left, and we came around 180 with the tow dolly pushing us forward.

When everything came to a screeching halt, the pickup was sitting in the right lane looking back down the freeway at oncoming traffic, the tow dolly hitch was wrapped under the rear pickup axle and the 56 Chevy was sitting up against the guard on the dolly facing in the direction of travel, beside my door.

Point being - check the equipment, and make sure it's performing as it should. I should have turned the defective one in when I reached Tennessee, or used an auto transporter. If it doesn't look right, don'y accept the rental.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most, but not all, ST tires have a 65mph speed rating. I have some of the new Goodyears made in America and they are an ST with an 87mph rating. Having lost a tire tread while towing, I can tell you it isn't fun and frequently causes some pretty bad damage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure they're aired up. Check the bearings. Make sure your tongue weight is good. But if you dump that thing going over 55, you better have a rider on your insurance.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have a drive on trailer for a 51 Willys Jeep the wife has.

Buddy was in a hurry to get home from NM hunt once...

I"ll just say that it hit 3 digits for quite some amount of time, but he claims it never hurt the trailer because the trailer or tires were never on the pavement at that point....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I towed the same trailer from AL to AZ, and I had it crammed to the gills. I averaged about 75 most of the trip(I was glad to leave AL). No issues, but I made sure it had good rubber before I left.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn't limit my speed to 55. But about 65 is as fast as I want to pull any trailer. Since most trailer tires are rated for 65 that is a good limit in my opinion.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
plug in Sammy Hagar

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 219DW, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.