Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Went to cash a check today for some work I'd done, at the bank the check was drawn on. They said since I don't have an account there, they were going to charge a fee for the service. I said not thank you, but how is that a service when their customer wrote the check on his money in their bank? Now the money is mine and I am simply collecting it? I declined and let them know that is a good reason why I won't have an account there. They said it's common practice, by have never run into it before.

Does not seem like this should be legal.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think I have cashed a check in the last 30 years. If I take a check from anyone else to my bank they will cash it, if I have enough to cover the amount already in my own account. I just deposit them and then all is well. I would think a fee to cash a check is common, that does not mean I would like it either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was still on the Police Department, I encountered the exact same situation. I had the exact same response as you did.

Apparently, it is a common practice, but it's still BS.

What I really wanted to do was to open an account, deposit the check, withdraw the money, and then close the account. All in a 5 minute period.

Wouldn't do it then because I was in uniform, but now, being retired, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same thing awhile ago,it was a small fee,but I declined,went back another time (same bank) for a MO and they wouldn't sell me one w/o an account??
Told the teller I would just go to Wally world where they were half the cost anyways,and never come back.
Some places "rule"themselves out of business.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear that banks more in fees than they do on interest.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I pulled my business account from a bank for that reason. They were charging employees to cash their paychecks.

Saw the branch manager a while after that, and he wasn't pleased I pulled the account without talking to him. He didn't want to understand that I wouldn't put up with that.

Pulled my farm accounts out of Wells Fargo when they started to charge to receive cash. They seemed very suprised I'd close an account, over that. Heck with it. My accounts generate over 1K in fees a year, mostly from wire fees and such. Several thousand more in debit card fees and such. If that ain't enough, too bad.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I used Citibank for 25 years until they started charging $25 per month fee because I did not keep a Minimum balance of $8k at all times. That is $300 a year to provide poor service!

Told the manager to kiss my butt since there were 3 banks within a mile that had free banking, 6 if I counted credit Unions.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went to close a checking account, girl said there was a fee ( forget how much) Promptly ask her exactly how much was in that account, then wrote a check for cash for 10 cents less and walked out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went to Wells Fargo the other day (where we bank) for a cashiers' check to pay a guy for a rifle, the thieves wanted $10 so I said I'd do a money order, they said the money order is $5. Told them to forget it and went to Kroger and got the money order for 59 cents. I hate banks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone notice how it's the major banks that have the complaints on this thread. Wells Fargo, Citibank. I do my banking with a locally owned bank---top notch service.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by readonly
They said it's common practice, by have never run into it before.

Some of them have been pulling this for 20 years. Used to be, when a customer paid me with a check from one of those, I'd make them add the extra fee to the amount of the check.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
IRS does not want any income to be untracked.
Banks want to hose you for every 'service'.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've run into something similar. If a business isn't willing to help me unless I'm an account holder, I never return. The ones that are more than willing to help without an account are the ones I'll remember and consider.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Had a similar experience...but...they wanted me to put my thumb print on the check. I went into Red Neck mode right there. Their reason was that "I" did not have an account there. I took it to the manager. He had someone in his office. There were two people waiting in front of me. I asked them. "Are you going to give them a finger print to open an account here?" They were noticeably embarrassed. The manager came out and I gave him the full speal. Didn't change their policy, but I bet they added an addendum for dealing with Red Necks.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

1099 will take care of the IRS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How can that fee be legal? A check is an order to the bank to pay an amount of the=ir depositor's money to the payee. Charging a fee is defying the order. If they want to charge a fee it should be on the writer of the check.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We use US Bank.

As long as they keep up the great work I will never go anywhere else. We have our mortgage through them and have had multiple car loans through them as well. 100% of our credit is also with them (even though we don't have a dime of credit debt). They have great rates and even better customer service. Our local branch is inside our Kroger, which is even that much more convenient.

Because we have a "platinum account", our checking account is 100% free. They cover any and all ATM fees for cash withdraws irregardless of the network, even a $8.99 fee from an ATM in Vegas blush

Never a charge to cash a check, never charge for cashiers checks, etc.

Side note - I HATE Wells Fargo. The few times I have had to go into one of their branches I have been treated like a criminal.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

Fee's is how banks can launder large amounts of cash without getting caught.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't had an account at a bank in years. All of our business goes through our credit union, they treat us like people.

[Linked Image]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We use Chase and have zero issues with them and the good folks at our branch.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 14,384 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,992
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.