Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cra1948
Been wearing the same Rolex for 48 years now. It's taken quite a beating and never failed me. If this goes the way most watch threads do, you'll soon have the Rolex haters chiming in to tell you what POS they are. Jorge and I like ours though, after nearly a half century each.

Rolex haters ???? Only on the internet.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a Seiko somewhere, and a NRA special they sent me some time ago. Both are without power, and I use my phone like most people these days.

I also have an old Breitling that needs refurbing, but shudder to think what that would cost now.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Got a Seiko somewhere, and a NRA special they sent me some time ago. Both are without power, and I use my phone like most people these days.

I also have an old Breitling that needs refurbing, but shudder to think what that would cost now.

I have 2 Seiko kinetic watches which do not work, one I sent back to Seiko for a new capacitor and drive. I am giving it to my Son snce it has to be worn everyday .

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Pappy send me that Breitling and then you won't have to worry about refurbishing!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For functionality, Casio G-Shock series.

Depending on the features you want, expect to pay $80 and up.

You get a functional watch that is mostly indestructible, I average one about every ten years. The last two still work, but the straps finally broke, and the replacement band is out of production.

It's not going to appreciate value like the investment watches, but it won't die either.

If you need "bling", the G-Shock can be had in OMG colors and combos - Amazon has many examples.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/14/17.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wear a Navy Seal Lumnox, but have several watches including a Movado i paid a thousand for just to wear with my Tux's on special occasions

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Timex with the velcro band for 25 bucks.

Jewelry is for women.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Timex digital about 35 bucks. When the battery dies then I replace the whole watch. I do have a Movado for dress but rarely use it.

living the good life every day
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think I paid 65 bucks, or so, at Wallyworld in Waterloo. It's Timex Indiglo with a date feature, typical watch otherwise. However, it's been running for over nine, 9, years, Original battery. Yup, takes licking and keeps on ticking.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Citizen Eco Drive.

I only wear a watch when I'm hunting. I had an old Timex years ago and the battery died one day right when I was headed for the woods. It was about 10 years ago. So I took it to this little Mom and Pop jewelry store that I've dealt with. They know me and the oldest son is a hunter. He was out of that particular battery, so he showed me a watch, no frills, cloth wrist band, the face glows in the dark and an Eco Drive. Never needs a battery because it's solar powered. I think it'll run for up to 3 weeks on a full charge, but if it's exposed to any light on a regular basis, it'll never stop running. It's the best watch I've ever owned. I think I paid about $100.00.

I think this is it, $79.10 on Amazon.

Citizen Men's BM8180-03E Eco-Drive Analog Japanese Quartz Green Watch
4.5 out of 5 stars 1,913 customer reviews
| 88 answered questions
Price: $79.10 & FREE Shipping. Details FREE Returns

Last edited by StoneCutter; 07/14/17.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Anything more than a times is a waste of money

I can't wear a cheap watch. Never could... Ever since I was a kid, and cheap watch won't last but a little while. Usually a week. Something about my body electricity or whatever stops them.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger
I buy a Timex Ironman ($35) every three or four years. I did so when I quit being a gentleman once I retired.

Same here. Walmart Timex, lasts for years, tells time. What else do you want?

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by electram
Never really wore a watch. Then I wore a digital for a number of years until the strap broke and the light died. Been without again for about a year.

Saw one that looked real sharp. Looked it up online. Holy Schitt....several thousand dollars. But looking around there are a lot of cheap watches, but also a whole lot of very expensive watches.

Is a watch a worth investment? Women spend enough on bling....really a watch is one of the few pieces of jewelry a guy will ever wear.

It's equipment or gear, not Jewelry. wink Paying for better equipment or gear is a guy thing.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by electram
Never really wore a watch. Then I wore a digital for a number of years until the strap broke and the light died. Been without again for about a year.

Saw one that looked real sharp. Looked it up online. Holy Schitt....several thousand dollars. But looking around there are a lot of cheap watches, but also a whole lot of very expensive watches.

Is a watch a worth investment? Women spend enough on bling....really a watch is one of the few pieces of jewelry a guy will ever wear.

OK, so you’re about to go into a long, deep tunnel—one of the few that can end up costing you more than shooting.

A watch consists of a case, a set of hands, a strap, a face, and a movement. The movement is the stuff inside that makes it all work--everything else is basically cosmetic and can be altered pretty easily. Broadly speaking, there are mechanical movements and electric movements. Mechanical watches are either automatic (self-winding) or hand-wound. Electric watches either have a battery or are solar powered, in which case they still have a battery, it’s just not replaceable. Electric watches are by far the cheaper of the two, starting around $50. The better ones can be more accurate and have far more features than mechanical watches. If you want bang for the buck, electric is the way to go. These watches are comparable to black rifles and polymer handguns.

Mechanical watches are more expensive. Decent ones start around $250, with no upper limit on price. The higher prices are due to the materials used to build the case, hands, strap, face, and movement, on the level of decoration applied to the movement, and on the time required to build the movement, although some of the better movements (Rolex, Omega) are mass produced. At the top of this heap are the so-called “great houses”, five or six companies that make and decorate their own movements entirely by hand in-house. These are the equivalent of Purdey shotguns or Holland & Holland double rifles. New prices start around $25k and have no upper limit.

Watches with in-house mass-produced movements are next. These include Rolex, Omega, Panerai, Seiko, and a few others. New prices start around $3k. The best of them are equivalent to a Dakota 76 or a Wilson 1911. Most are the equivalent of a Winchester Model 70 or Ruger Model 77. Seiko is a standout in this category, as they offer watches that rival Rolex and Omega in terms of looks and construction, as well as rugged watches that the working man can afford, use his entire life, and pass on to his kids. Seiko also makes highly regarded electric watches, especially anything built on the Seiko 5 movement.

Some brands use a movement that someone else built. Most of these use (in descending order) a Swiss ETA movement, some other Swiss movement, a Japanese movement, or a Chinese movement. These are often copies of watches in the first two categories, and many of them have features and cosmetic aspects inspired by more expensive watches. They start around $400 and can be an excellent value, especially if they have a Swiss movement. For some reason, the Germans are leading the pack in this category right now, including Sinn, Steinhardt, and a couple of others. Hamilton makes great watches in this category, as do Bell & Ross and Tudor.

I believe that the third category offers the best value in terms of durability, accuracy, and not looking cheap. If I were in the market, that’s where I’d look.

Finally, there’s https://www.watchrecon.com/. Thank/curse me later.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread is already an excellent example of The Infinite Continuum of Snobbery.

Pick a point on an infinite line, whichever point appeals to you most, and stand there. Now look to one side and sneer at all of the low class slobs who don’t dress as nicely as you do and who only know the cost of things but the value of nothing. Now look to your other side and sneer at the overdressed show offs who spend their money foolishly on stupid things that don’t do anything better than your things.

Everybody in the world would be far better off if they were me.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The best outdoor watch for the money is the Navy Seal Lumnox

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
This thread is already an excellent example of The Infinite Continuum of Snobbery.

Pick a point on an infinite line, whichever points appeals to you most, and stand there. Now look to one side and sneer at all of the low class slobs who don’t dress as nicely as you do and who only know the cost of things but the value of nothing. Now look to your other side and sneer at the overdressed show offs who spend their money foolishly on stupid things that don’t do anything better than your things.

Everybody in the world would be far better off if they were me.

That's sure true about more than watches!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, it is. I coined the phrase about something else but it applies across a vast spectrum of ego identification.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Watches are jewelry these days made absolete as tools by cell phones and other devices. I dont even wear one hunting or fishing anymore.

Not everyone drags a smartphone or GPS along everywhere they go or while hunting. But your point is valid for many.

Originally Posted by AH64guy
For functionality, Casio G-Shock series.

Depending on the features you want, expect to pay $80 and up.

You get a functional watch that is mostly indestructible, I average one about every ten years. The last two still work, but the straps finally broke, and the replacement band is out of production.

Correction, they used to be indestructible. My first lasted a long time under tough conditions, but the next three didn't last nearly so long. The very last broke a few months after I bought it and Casio wouldn't cover it under warranty. No more Casios for me. You can sometimes find generic replacement straps.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Refurbed bertucci. Check the list.

I rock my Bertucci in the worst of conditions and it keeps on kicking ass. Titanium Field Watch. Like, $160 if I remember correctly.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,070
Posts18,521,648
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.