Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
WL205 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't know how many shipments I've sent via USPS over the years but its been a bunch. Until this week I've been fortunate to have avoided any package/shipment mishaps. Earlier in the week I shipped 300 projectiles to a buyer in CA. We agreed on a price that included shipping. However, I never purchase additional insurance for the packages I ship unless the buyer and I have discussed it. So these go out in a small flat rate box, packaged in three plastic bags with 100 ct in each. Yesterday, the buyer calls and texts me saying he got the package, its empty, and appears to have broken open and the contents are gone. He also said that the post office put it in some sort of bag with a "sorry" note. I found it strange that the entire contents would be missing since they were in three separate plastic bags inside the box. I also used packing tape all over the box to reinforce it as I never trust those boxes with their single adhesive strip. I looked on the USPS site last night and confirmed that the person receiving the shipment would be the one to file the claim. Also, it appears that you can make a claim for a value even if its not insured, apparently you just have to prove its value by some means like a payment receipt. I called the buyer and told him what I found out, how I felt it was unfortunate, and wished him luck.

Thought I'd share the experience with you all.

Jared

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obviously it wasn't packaged good enough. If it were me I would refund his money. He paid you and he never got his merchandise. You're on my never do business with list.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SFRB includes $50.00 insurance. Better than nothing....

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by mrchongo
SFRB includes $50.00 insurance. Better than nothing....

+1

Get the buyer $50 (out of your pocket) and make the USPS claim reimbursable to you.

After that $50... proceed as your conscience directs you.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had a very similar experience- package was going from California to Alaska. Package, a flat rate small package, was ripped open by the corner and contents missing.price was less than $50, but the buyer got the $50 insurance money.

Last edited by robertham1; 07/14/17.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So for your poor shipping and packaging the buyer is SOL?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WL205
I called the buyer and told him what I found out, how I felt it was unfortunate, and wished him luck.

Thought I'd share the experience with you all.

Jared

The only thing you shared with me is that I will for sure NEVER deal with you. I've had a package lost in the mail. I sent the buyer a FULL refund. You are the reason it's hard to trust people to do the right thing anymore.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it were me, I'd reimburse the buyer, get what I could get from USPS and move on. I consider an item mine until it reaches the buyer.

NRA Endowment Life Member
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup! Refund his $$ and you file claim for $50. Had this happen with some brass. I refunded buyers money and got the $50 from USPS.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the same thing happen when I bought some bullets from a fellow campfire member from Florida. Most of you know who I'm talking about.Just received the empty box. I contacted him just to let him know how brutal usps handlers can be. He sent me out another pack of bullets at no charge. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No reply from OP. He must not of expected that response....................................C'MON MAN, do the right thing.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Contact your office and have them file an MRC search. They'll know what that means and will likely find the contents.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I had a similar situation; USPS flat rate box was damaged upon delivery with a portion of the contents missing. The buyer received replacement product, cash refund for the damaged goods, and an apology with no questions. For me integrity is everything. As for filing a claim with USPS, the bureaucracy outweighed the benefit. At the end of the day the buyer was satisfied and I could hold my head high.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
WTF is a projectile? BB's, pellets, peas, boolits? I think the shipper files the claim since he is the one with the shipping receipts. Anytime I ship small stuff including bullets I use a vacuum sealed food saver bag and include a card with my return address in the bag before I seal it, 100% no issues even if the bags fall out of the box. And no, I wouldn't do business with you either if that's the way you handle an issue.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the exact same thing happen to me with several hundred bullets. Had to go to the post office to pick it up, they had put the mess in a basket with a sorry note, and was told it was hazmat and supposed to ship accordingly. I lost quite a few but was happy there were any at all. The problem is with the packaging. The bullets act as a heavy liquid and must be divided up in smaller boxes if you expect them to make it to their destination. A bunch of tape isn't going to help. I'd give the guy his money back also.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Also, there aren't very many substances with a mass similar to lead, can't help but wonder if the "handlers" don't give certain heavy little boxes special treatment just to see what trickles out...

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
WL205 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok. So I guess my line of thinking is wrong with this. I assumed the post office would be responsible for the handling of the package and that was why they have insurance and a route to file a claim. After looking into the claim process it appears that the individual receiving the package files the claim. I don't want to screw anyone just doing what I thought was how it should be handled by him filing a claim. And then you throw in the possibility of scams and even more reason it seemed that it would be handled by him with usps. But it appears I have totally missed the boat on this.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
When I ship bullets or heavy stuff in a flat rate box I also use those tyvek type bags that are usually with the flat rate stuff at the post office and address them as well, more than once I've had stuff arrive with remnants of the original box and contents still contained in the bag...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
USPS will not pay. They will claim "insufficient packaging."

They did the same with me when a padded envelope, tapped up, inside a box, tapped with heavy duty packing tape and reinforced strapping tape...all voids inside the box filled with newspaper arrived empty, opened. One end was open...all layers of tape cut at the same point, and contents gone. But it was insufficient packaging on my part, so said USPS.

BTW, I refunded the sellers money as soon as they informed me of the empty box. That is just how one does business.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sold some bullets and the package came open, contents lost. At the time I sold the bullets I was broke and needed the money BAD. Sale was just over $200, and I had $240 to my name. I sent the buyer his $204, leaving me with less than $40. I felt it was the right thing to do, regardless of my financial situation. I made it just fine.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 11 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.