Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For years U-haul had a limit of 45 on all their trailers. I guess they got tired of being laughed at and raised it to 55. 55 on a busy highway can be dangerous with as zillion cars trying to pass you at 70+. It's just a liability game Uhaul plays.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JMR40
I wouldn't limit my speed to 55. But about 65 is as fast as I want to pull any trailer. Since most trailer tires are rated for 65 that is a good limit in my opinion.
That..

FWIW, on the yearly trip to the Sturgis Rally with the toy hauler, I set the cruise at 65 (if on the Interstate) and that's as fast as I go - no matter if the speed limit's 70.. Also use TPM systems on the trailer tires. That's saved me several times from having damage to the trailer when (not if) I have a flat tire during the trip..

To the OP: does U-Haul supply spare tires/wheels with their trailers? I've never rented one so I have no idea.. I hope they do - and IF so, I hope you bring a jack and tools to change a tire..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's freeway speed limit is 80, trucks 70. We have some cars doing 80, many doing 75, trucks 65 to 70, and RVs from 65 to 80. There's a lot of passing, dodging, and dangerous driving. I think it was safer and just about as fast before they raised it from 75. A few days ago I had a guy in a motorhome doing close to 80 with a cell phone in his ear drift over and push me onto the shoulder. I sure wish he would have pulled into a rest stop where I could have discussed it with him.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Higher than 55 is OK physically; but, if an accident does occur, you are on your own and U-Haul (or other company) is off the hook entirely.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by JMR40
I wouldn't limit my speed to 55. But about 65 is as fast as I want to pull any trailer. Since most trailer tires are rated for 65 that is a good limit in my opinion.
That..

FWIW, on the yearly trip to the Sturgis Rally with the toy hauler, I set the cruise at 65 (if on the Interstate) and that's as fast as I go - no matter if the speed limit's 70.. Also use TPM systems on the trailer tires. That's saved me several times from having damage to the trailer when (not if) I have a flat tire during the trip..

To the OP: does U-Haul supply spare tires/wheels with their trailers? I've never rented one so I have no idea.. I hope they do - and IF so, I hope you bring a jack and tools to change a tire..

Off topic-
Lee, what brand TPMS do you have on the trailer?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
As with most things related to towing, "PULLING" is usually much less of a concern than "SUDDEN STOPS" or "Maneuvers". Checking tire pressure, tire condition, proper loading (tongue heavy) all go a long way toward minimizing tire failure and other excitements.

Open road with good forward visibility, 70-75mph probably not unreasonable. Crowded urban rush hour traffic, even 55mph might be "over driving" your ability to maintain control. Common sense goes a long way toward having an "uneventful" trip...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Take a look at the tire and axle set-up on these trailers. They are usually way stronger than the box. The axles look stronger than the axles on my toy hauler. 6 lug wheels on a 5 x 8 trailer? Those usually have 8 ply tires on them. I think U-haul builds them knowing they will be abused. However by stating on the contract that 55 mph is tops they got you if something goes bad.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is U-haul liable when an 18 wheeler plows into the back of one of its trailers being hauled at 55mph on an interstate highway with a 70mph speed limit?

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=FlaRick]Is U-haul liable when an 18 wh
No, that would be the driver and the trucking company, unless there was a posted minimum of higher than 55

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I agree that 55 is dangerous on the interstate that has a posted 70 mph limit. I would not rent a uhaul if you can't safely go over 55. P.o.s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Pretty short.....probably develop a death wobble pretty easy.

TOUNGE WEIGHT

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Next up-

Who tears the tags off their mattresses? The good, the bad, and the ugly, the real world ramifications of this dangerous practice.

LOL
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Put some weight in the bed of the Tundra. The light rear end is a lot of what went wrong with the guy and the Ranger. Moral is to look well ahead Is the price of a longer trailer higher? Any of them have surge brakes? Any time you get a trailer with a wheelbase shorter than the truck backing becomes a real headache. I only once had trouble with a trailer; canned ham behind a T100 ,hit a whoopee on solid ice at 40, counter steered about 4 times and the trailer went clear to the jacknife position. I thoutht I was gonna buy it but recovered. It was 2 am. so that helped. The little off camber spot is still there and brings back memories every time through.

I agree that 55 is a way to get rear ended, or cause trouble for other vehicles traveling at highway speeds.

TV this morning showed a U Haul behind a ? that plowed into a semi, didn't see more, but one killed.

Last edited by kennyd; 07/14/17.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How does Uhaul know what speed the trailer was pulled at?

Do the trailers have recorders?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

You never know...Pays to look under any vehicle you rent. GPS data loggers are cheap, small, and can be powered off of the taillight wire to keep them charged and they can run more than 30 days without being recharged..

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

Most large construction sites around here have Tattle-Tale transponders on every piece of equipment on the job, to protect against theft. (They also Mark the property, that Tattle-Tale is in use) and it would be very easy to track any trailer by it's transponder code, if it has one. If it were me, I'd install it inside the tounge, feed it off the brake light wires, and tie to the frame for an antenna.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've had no problems towing u-haul trailers at speeds I won't mention here behind my Tundra. I don't think uhaul really gives a schitt, just a CYA on their part.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,394
Posts18,469,959
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.