Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Why do folks on YouTube that are reviewing a gun always want to show their "audience" (the viewer) that the gun is unloaded when they begin handling it? Are they afraid they're gonna shoot someone over a fiber-optic data line or something? I mean, I don't give a foshizzle if they blow their own brains out while reviewing a gun - no need to show me that it's unloaded.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's because they would get a million negative comments from basement dwellers saying that you should check first before handling the gun. Folks have to say something just to say something and look knowledgeable.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I think it's because they would get a million negative comments from basement dwellers saying that you should check first before handling the gun. Folks have to say something just to say something and look knowledgeable.

Yeah, I guess you're right.
What is it about guns that brings out the know-it-all in 90% of the male population anyway?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And 90% of the gun guys don't know a thing about most things guns.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Why do folks on YouTube that are reviewing a gun always want to show their "audience" (the viewer) that the gun is unloaded when they begin handling it? Are they afraid they're gonna shoot someone over a fiber-optic data line or something? I mean, I don't give a foshizzle if they blow their own brains out while reviewing a gun - no need to show me that it's unloaded.

The reason is that in the early days of YouTube, the posters wasted a lot of time and energy fighting off all the critics who would excoriate them for poor gun handling, and setting bad examples. So most developed the habit of doing this just to avoid having to waste the energy and time of dealing with this.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The reason is that in the early days of YouTube, the posters wasted a lot of time and energy fighting off all the critics who would excoriate them for poor gun handling, and setting bad examples. So most developed the habit of doing this just to avoid having to waste the energy and time of dealing with this.

Gotcha. The internet, while so useful, is a fawked up place sometimes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They want to show that they are safe gun handlers, and that guns are not inherently evil.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBREW401
..., and that guns are not inherently evil.

I sure hope Pelosi knows that.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And 90% of the gun guys don't know a thing about most things guns.

this . most of the U tube reviewers are dipshits . to me best one out there is hickcock 45

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It is also a matter of expectations. While one may learn some things watching a youtube video, I have yet to see one that I consider a real review that would shape my decision on a gun purchase. Many are entertaining and some are funny to watch and that is sometimes enough to promote popularity.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saleen322
It is also a matter of expectations. While one may learn some things watching a youtube video, I have yet to see one that I consider a real review that would shape my decision on a gun purchase. Many are entertaining and some are funny to watch and that is sometimes enough to promote popularity.

My thoughts as well. I watch some of them hoping for some insight into a firearm's performance or quality of build or its good and bad points along with some objective information - weight, group sizes with various ammo, etc., but most of them are "hey, watch me shoot my new gun in my back yard" videos. Some are decent and have useful tidbits here and there but you have to watch 10 or 12 of them to even start to get a complete picture of the firearm. I like Hitchcock45 and Jeff Quinn as friendly and personable presenters but even Hitchcock does little more than plinking without providing much insight into the firearms and I suspect Jeff never met a free loaner he didn't like. I will say that Gunblast's written reviews on line do provide the more detailed information I'm looking for.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[quote=saleen322] I suspect Jeff never met a free loaner he didn't like.

LOL. Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard him really bad-mouth much of anything. I do often find his reviews enlightening, however.
Interesting to note that neither Hickock or Jeff never spend time showing you the gun they are talking about is unloaded.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I agree, for most of US, it is pointless. But, you have to consider how many novice gun owners/handlers/wannabes watch those videos. I think it's still a good practice. I know I would teach my daughters to ALWAYS check that first. No difference in them teaching novice watchers the same.

It's important to remember a lot of younger folks don't have a mentor that can show them a lot of the things we take for granted now days.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They're a lot like magazine articles.

If it's specific i.e. trigger work on a Ruger Blackhawk, Glock 17, etc. then they are worthwhile.

If it's a "watch my new M&P go bang" it's about as boring as a Stan Trzoniec piece.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If you don't like it don't watch. There some entertaining guys on YouTube and there are more than our fair share of boobs. I don't watch the latter but I do want to know why the idiots feel so compelled to telegraph their mental deficiencies to the entire world. Whats the old saying, "its better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How do you know if you don't like it if you don't watch?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
[quote=saleen322] I suspect Jeff never met a free loaner he didn't like.

LOL. Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard him really bad-mouth much of anything. I do often find his reviews enlightening, however.
Interesting to note that neither Hickock or Jeff never spend time showing you the gun they are talking about is unloaded.

Are you kidding me? Hickock is constantly jacking his slide all the time. Oh yeah, it's unloaded alright.

I agree with your OP. Why would anyone need to purposely show the gun is unloaded in a gun test video - unless they are actually handing it to someone or about to do some work on it? Hickock often has several guns on the table. Some nit-pickers apparently want to watch him show each gun is unloaded - how often? Every time he picks one up? Every time he goes near the table? Is that how we train now? What happened to "every gun is always loaded"?

All I watch these guys for is to see if the gun functions, and maybe glean a little detail about the gun itself. I do not need or want the "beginner's guide" in every gun related video. There are gun safety videos on the 'net. Easy for any noob to find. Seeing that in every video would get old for them too. Guess if I was doing gun videos, I would be obligated to start each one with "this is not a gun safety video".

I see the same thing all the time regarding videos and photos of canoeing. Invariably, someone just has to scream - "No PFD!" "OMG", someone will want to do the same!" God save us from the safety Nazis.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i find some of them quite interesting.
Like the guy showing how to load a 71/84 mauser, and then showing it while shooting it.
or the guy that burnt up a ak74 full auto.
Or the guy from julia's auction house firing a lot of rather rare old weapons.
off topic, but what i really like on youtube are those battlefield pickup clips, where people are recovering weapons, personal stuff, and dead people from the old battlefields. There is one on there recovering mummies from the italian alps and finland. The bodies were frozen so the didn't decompose. It's quite something to see the effort made to recover and place in proper cemetaries.
As to the weapons, some of the spent shell casings found indicate even in WWII in some areas people were using black powder metallic guns, surprised at how well spread lewis guns were, and seeing a number of those little baby brownings in .25auto being dug out of the mud.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/19/17.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by deflave
How do you know if you don't like it if you don't watch?

That's an easy one to figure out.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do the same with books. The cover tells you all you need to know about what's inside.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,345
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.