Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 31 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 30 31
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got one on the way in 6.5 Creedmoor as well. Really hoping they start making these in fast twist 223 with a decent mag box length.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just got one in in 6.5 Creedmoor and the trigger drops at 2.5# every time I tested it (a bunch). The drop at comb is .425" and the heel is .235" measured from the center of the bore.

Neatest rifle I have seen in a very long time...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just got one in in 6.5 Creedmoor and the trigger drops at 2.5# every time I tested it (a bunch). The drop at comb is .425" and the heel is .235" measured from the center of the bore.

Well I am glad you like it. Cause the one I just bought is going to see you before it sees me. smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Please give a range report when you get a chance.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I would love to, but it is for another 24hr member (not alaska lanche) and he might be ready to shoot it when the fishing ends...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Well I am glad you like it. Cause the one I just bought is going to see you before it sees me. smile

They are a sweet little rig!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd buy one in 250-3000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I shot my buddy's 6.5 creedmoor out to 560 yards last week. The sale going on at Whittakers was enough for me to take the plunge for one in .308. I hope to have it sighted in within the next 10 days. Already have the scope, and rings, pic rail is on order. Needs to be ready for sure inside 2 weeks as we leave for Kodiak deer hunt come the 31st. smile

Last edited by alaska_lanche; 07/18/17.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fieldcraft is a Kimber killer, twice the rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35

Its putting two of my Kimbers on the chopping block likely.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the measurements - I called them and they acted like they never heard of such a thing....................

Happen weigh it?

One thing that held me back was a 2 position safety - that doesn't lock the bolt. I have a rifle like that and the bolt handle gets caught on 'stuff' and will come open. A rather inconvenient feature.

Last edited by bwinters; 07/18/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Supposing you have a Kimber Montana that is a sub MOA shooter ,(I do), how is the Fieldcraft twice the rifle? I don't like that the safety doesn't lock the bolt on the Fieldcraft, and I'm a little concerned that it has an even thinner barrel than a Montana. I'll probably buy a Fieldcraft anyway eventually but I really am interested in what specifics that make it twice the rifle the Montana is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well in .308 especially my .308 Montanas a 1:12 which limits me to 180s and less if I wanted play with longer skinnier bullets. Couple that with a mag box to actually allow you to run long bullets and actually seat to the lands...it just gives you more options.

Don't get me wrong I like my Kimbers and will def keep atleast 2 of the 4 I have as the fieldcrafts fill the niche they do (358 win and 338-06) but the current 308 win and the incoming 6.5 mountain ascent may be down the road so if anyone is interest. smile

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bwinters
One thing that held me back was a 2 position safety - that doesn't lock the bolt. I have a rifle like that and the bolt handle gets caught on 'stuff' and will come open. A rather inconvenient feature.

I agree, a two position safety that doesn't lock the bolt on a hunting rifle (especially one set up to be a lightweight hiking rig) is a bummer. It's an interesting rifle otherwise. I really like how they did the 18"threaded barrels, little weight but with a bell at the end for a proper 5/8x24 thread.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 07/18/17.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Well in .308 especially my .308 Montanas a 1:12 which limits me to 180s and less if I wanted play with longer skinnier bullets. Couple that with a mag box to actually allow you to run long bullets and actually seat to the lands...it just gives you more options.

Don't get me wrong I like my Kimbers and will def keep atleast 2 of the 4 I have as the fieldcrafts fill the niche they do (358 win and 338-06) but the current 308 win and the incoming 6.5 mountain ascent may be down the road so if anyone is interest. smile

OK,I'll agree that the twist rates and longer mag box are features that may be very attractive in some cases.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Better barrel and better stock on the FC. And subjective to buyer, but I like the Action on the FC better.

Plus Kimbers are known to have spotty craftsmanship.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the measurements - I called them and they acted like they never heard of such a thing....................

Happen weigh it?

Did not, but I will here in a few minutes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Happen weigh it?

Non-locking bolts do not bother me... it has a little resistance when opening or closing but otherwise bolt travel is very slick!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Happen weigh it?

The rifle, bare and empty weighs 5#4 1/4oz... The stock alone weighs 1#12 1/8oz which seems heavy to me... and the metal parts weigh 3#8 1/8oz. The bolt by itself weighs a slick 6 7/8 oz.

The bedding job is full length and perfect. A dial indicator did not wiggle at all during torquing.

The sling studs are not to my liking, I prefer flush mounts... but there is not much to bitch about with the rifle, except...

Looking it over more carefully... the guy that came up with the idea of using three different size screws for the trigger guard and action is an idiot! Problems in the field do not get fixed best by having three different hex bits required. When he dies and goes to Hell (a given!) he will spend eternity trying to fix things just two bits short of what he needs! That would absolutely get changed immediately if I get one.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Better barrel and better stock on the FC. And subjective to buyer, but I like the Action on the FC better.

Plus Kimbers are known to have spotty craftsmanship.

Just saying it's better doesn't really qualify it as such for me. If you were to say for instance that one stock was made from old Tupperware and the other was a Carbon Kevlar composite, then that would work, but just better won't qualify? How is one barrel better than another if they both shoot 3/4 MOA groups? Can you possibly list how they are checked more precisely for imperfections or something along that line? Looking for specifics please.

Page 16 of 31 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (338rcm, 204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,948 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,045
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.