Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
When I get too old to go on foot or on a mule, I will leave the wilderness to younger folks whom I hope will appreciate it as much as I do. But I will still feel good about the protection that a wilderness designation gives to some of the best and critical wildlife habitat that remains.

A big +1.

Not accepting a donation of private property that would unlock a public parcel because the owner wants it to be designated wilderness is just stupid. And results in the land remaining inaccessible by anyone.

If I was the owner trying to donate the land I'd tell Zinke to KMA. A piece of property that controls access to a landlocked area is a valuable commodity, and the owner is damn generous to donate it.

Last edited by smokepole; 07/24/17.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sbhooper
We do not need more wilderness and national monuments. Very few national monuments are open to hunting and in some cases-such as Wyoming-wilderness is closed to non-residents, unless they hire a guide.

In the past thirty years almost every new monument designation or monument/national park expansion has included hunting as part of the conditions. From the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP to Bears Ears NM. Not every one, but the big majority.

The designation of monuments allows for a different management scheme. The short explanation is in almost every case it will help wildlife habitat.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
So now the goal is to make wilderness areas handicapped accessible? Wow....

In the 90's, when the USFS and BLM (that's the Bureau of Land Management for you urban types), were required to create Travel Management Plans the motorized vehicle groups attempted to use the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to argue against road designation that limited the motorized crowd to designated roads and trails only.

It was amazing, people who I knew all my life bought an ATV and suddenly claimed they had a "disability".....even a couple guys I played softball with.............

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by sbhooper
We do not need more wilderness and national monuments. Very few national monuments are open to hunting and in some cases-such as Wyoming-wilderness is closed to non-residents, unless they hire a guide.

In the past thirty years almost every new monument designation or monument/national park expansion has included hunting as part of the conditions. From the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP to Bears Ears NM. Not every one, but the big majority.

The designation of monuments allows for a different management scheme. The short explanation is in almost every case it will help wildlife habitat.

Casey

In Brown's Canyon all existing land uses(including hunting and grazing) and roads were maintàined, and even some new roads were part of the overall plan.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

It was amazing, people who I knew all my life bought an ATV and suddenly claimed they had a "disability".....even a couple guys I played softball with.............

Casey

Not surprised. Same thing happened here in LA when they legalized crossbows for senior citizens and handicapped hunters. And then, IMO, LA saw that if they legalized crossbows for all that they could make more money.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
Thnx Mudhen.

At the moment I don't have an opinion - except on large tracts, wilderness with only FOOT/pack animal access,
that restricts many people - older hunters - opportunity to hunt.

What's the % of hunters today who are serious PACK IN hunters. I know some do, but IMO they are a small %.
I understand there are many factors involved -- that's why I don't have any strong opinion.

Jerry

I have a VERY strong opinion.

I'm now locked out of my lifelong antelope and saghen spots, so the feds can save the feral horses and designate "wilderness study areas". A couple of years ago I walked in and shot my antelope, but I couldn't get it packed out...just too old now and busted up. My wife had to come in cross country on her 4-wheeler to get me and the animal. I was only 1/4 mile from a now closed road I have used for almost 60 years, and we had to do something I don't like doing to retrieve the meat.

YES, this closes out senior hunters from many of their old haunts. We still get out and walk as much as we can, but the closures have locked the door on us effectively.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 75 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,776
Posts18,476,982
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.