Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have inherited a 4"x12"x11ft piece of American Black Walnut. Flat sawn. Has been in an unheated garage for past 10 years. I will take moisture readings with a Delmhorst pin-type moisture meter in the near future. The piece is basically straight grained. With only two small visible knots in the first 9 to 10ft.

I am considering cutting gun stock blanks for a few relatives (kids, grand kids) for the sentimental value. I understand that being flat sawn and straight grained these will be very functional stock blanks, but, not showy. I am O.K. with that. Question to the group is how to layout the blanks? Wood on one edge is 30* to 35* rift. Wood on the other edge is 15* to 20* rift. Options that come to mind:

1) Layout blanks across full width of the slab so that grain runs parallel to top of barrel channel/fore arm.
> Pro: max utilization of the wood.
> Con: All stocks will have some rift sawn grain pattern. 50% of stocks will have rift in the upper portion of the stock.

2) Similar to #1, but angle blanks so that grain runs down thru the wrist.
> Pro: stronger wrist section. Still reasonable utilization of wood
> Con: Still have some amount of rift grain pattern in all stocks.

3) Take a 1" trim cut off one edge, and a 3" trim cut of the other edge to center the flat sawn portion of the grain pattern. Then layout blanks with grain running down thru wrist.
> Pro: Minimal rift grain pattern. Strong wrist section.
> Con: least utilization of wood.

4) I have considered taking a 3" section out of the very middle, planing and gluing two pieces together to make a 3"x8" blanks that are perfectly quarter sawn, albeit with a glue line in the butt stocks.

The other piece of information is that I have a thin blade band saw mill. So I can also make trim cuts to take the 4" thickness down to 3", etc. Not looking to over think or over engineer. Just the the first (and possibly only) time I've been in this situation. Looking for input. Again, goal is nice clean functional one piece rifle stocks.

Thank you !

Edit: Zero sap wood...

Last edited by Orion2000; 07/16/17.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm no expert, and this is just my opinion, but I always laid mine out with the grain running parallel to the wrist. My brother use to be a builder for commercial buildings in SW PA ,he would go in and cut all the timber, take the walnut and have it sawed into lumber. The 3" slabs, he would put in his barn to dry. I usually got some that were 20 years old, 3"x14"x 12 feet.

Yes ,you have more waste,but I think it makes a stronger stock. Out of maybe 10 stocks I have made, I have never had one break or crack.
I'm sure the real pros will shed more light on it than I can

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always believed (still do) in laying out the best blank in the board first, second best next, and so on, but I do not use unfigured wood. Saddlesore is absolutely correct in running through grain through the grip which will also make the grain rise in the fore end.

I see no particular problem with rift saw grain in a plain, straight-grained stock.

Because the wood is so thick and you appear to have some good equipment you could get considerable increase in yield by resawing at an angle. That would be if you are only going to get blanks 4" thick.

I would also be looking toward putting the knots in butt stocks to create a little interest.

And lastly, a lot of stocks can be cut from blanks under 2 inches.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Option 2 or 3 line the grain up in the wrist. I would make a blank pattern preferably out of clear plexiglass and lay this out with the best grain alignment in the wrist and see what you have. The angles may change Willy Neely and orientation could get reversed on some but this way you get the best grain in the wrist and most blanks out of the board.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I appreciate the input so far. This will be a longer term project. Much to think about. Thank you....

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is good image of the grain running thru the neck a ML stock I did.

[![TC hawkin.jpg](https://s20.postimg.org/ro6iwqyfx/TC_hawkin.jpg)](https://postimg.org/image/ro6iwqyft/)

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/17/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
SS, Appreciate the picture. As Sitka Deer stated, I am O.K. with the grain rising thru the fore end as with your ML. I personally like a more open grip like your ML, so, will not need quite as much "cant" to the grain to make it flow thru the wrist as with the more closed grips.

Question to the group: The other lumber that has been planed out of the same log has a really nice dark color to it. Anyway to maintain / promote that dark color when having a rifle stock cut / carved / finished ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
SS, Appreciate the picture. As Sitka Deer stated, I am O.K. with the grain rising thru the fore end as with your ML. I personally like a more open grip like your ML, so, will not need quite as much "cant" to the grain to make it flow thru the wrist as with the more closed grips.

Question to the group: The other lumber that has been planed out of the same log has a really nice dark color to it. Anyway to maintain / promote that dark color when having a rifle stock cut / carved / finished ?

Nothing is required to keep walnut dark... it does that all by itself. Do not keep it in front of a window with full hot sun for months and it will not fade.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore

[![TC hawkin.jpg](https://s20.postimg.org/ro6iwqyfx/TC_hawkin.jpg)](https://postimg.org/image/ro6iwqyft/)

I didn't know the pioneers preferred waffle style pads.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Be sure and keep the root ball.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I didn't know the pioneers preferred waffle style pads.

Just the sensitive ones! wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Be sure and keep the root ball.

Betting the root ball is long gone... board has been stored in a garage for the past ten years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sold some walnut 3 years ago and did nothing with the root ball, it is still in the ground. Is there any value to the root ball now? I assume it would have to be dug out somehow?
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is where the best wood is... probably some value left... but may be too late. Yes it has to be dug out.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yes, the root ball for my project is long gone. Regarding figured wood in the root ball. First you have to hope that the logger left enough stem above ground for the fore end. Root ball has to be dug out, generally with a back hoe or excavator. Then cleaned and pressure washed to remove dirt, rocks, debris. Then, whittled on with a chain saw to get to a manageable size/shape. Then find a sawmill willing to dink with it. Then hope that it is sound wood when it is sawn and opened up. Then hope that it does not split, crack, cup, warp, or twist while drying...

OTOH, this project is about hopefully creating a few multi-generational heirlooms to honor the memory of a very special man who had a profound impact on our family. Uncle Bill was a quiet humble man of God, who was also bull strong, hard working, reliable and carried himself with a certain amount of understated class. He just passed in January at the age of 98. The block of wood came from his wood shop. My goal is that the stocks will be just as strong and just as reliable as he was, and also have some of the same understated class...

Last edited by Orion2000; 07/22/17.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.