Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have seen and read so many great things on the tikka and have been missing the t3 300wsm I had a few years back...Couldn't take it any longer - so I am officially back on the Tikka Bandwagon. (Technically have a 22-250 on order as well)

Ordered up a T3X Lite stainless 270 wsm from Whittakers (hundreds cheaper than local even with shipping). Next stop was Stocky Stocks were they had a sako classic in olive swirl for the T3. (Sako Classic is my favorite mcmillan pattern) Lastly is optics - found a demo model NF NXS 2.5-10X42, going to put in in talley ringmounts.

Spent a little coin today - but I think I will have one heck of a shooting, lightweight, longer range gun. This setup has intrigued me for a while and I figured it was time to go all in! Should be a good mix of lite but not too light. Solid rugged scope.

Going to play with 145 grain hornady eld x and 140 accubonds

HR IC

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

money well spent for an outta the box game rifle..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very nice rig! I would also add some Gen 2 machined aluminum bottom metal and stainless action screws from Mountain Tactical and a stainless bolt shroud from Glades armory......Enjoy!......Hb

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I ordered one of the Stainless T3X lites from Whitaker's myself the other day. 308 for the boys new hunting rifle. For the price they are at Whitaker's it was a no brainer. Mine will be at the FFL early next week but I will be in Florida for work till the end of the week so Ill pick it up next weekend

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just bought my 4th Tikka 6 months yesterday from Whittakers yesterday. Another 300 WSM. The 300 WSM I got 3 months ago just shot 178 ELDX at 3180 fps sub MOA to just beyond 800 yards last week. This 300 WSM is actually going to be a donor to convert into a lighter weight 7 SAUM project. Darrick has "saved" me a lot of money wink

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Very nice rig! I would also add some Gen 2 machined aluminum bottom metal and stainless action screws from Mountain Tactical and a stainless bolt shroud from Glades armory......Enjoy!......Hb

What's the difference in the Gen 2?

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of all the rifles I've sold, it's the one I'd like to have back....what a dumbass

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I joined this bandwagon a few weeks ago. I bought a Tikka T3x Lite in .308 and worked with it for a couple of weeks. Now that I replaced the rings that slipped under recoil with a Picatinny rail, I was so happy with it at the range today that I bought a stainless steel T3x lite. Now I am pondering what to do with my older rifles.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

Originally Posted by 01Foreman400

The Gen2 bottom metal is a little sleeker with a more narrow trigger guard, I have T3X rifles that I have installed both Gen1 and Gen2 bottom metal, both are excellent but I like the Gen2 a little better.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 16bore
Of all the rifles I've sold, it's the one I'd like to have back....what a dumbass
No big deal, just make a run down to Sportsmans Warehouse and buy you another Superlite....Ha!......I am seriously considering a run up your way to buy another Superlite, this time a 30-06 but I called the other day and the only one they have in 06' is on display and I'd rather wait and buy one thats still in its factory box......Hb

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Going to be a nice rig.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have and had several tikka's 338 win mag and 300 win mag and never ever had a problem with the factory rings.
FYI and

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a few Tikkas 223, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag. They are what I like and shoot the most.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by StrayHorse
I have a few Tikkas 223, 270, 30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag. They are what I like and shoot the most.

I know exactly what you mean as I shoot My Tikka's by far more than any of My other rifles........Hb

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by GrimJim
I joined this bandwagon a few weeks ago. I bought a Tikka T3x Lite in .308 and worked with it for a couple of weeks. Now that I replaced the rings that slipped under recoil with a Picatinny rail, I was so happy with it at the range today that I bought a stainless steel T3x lite. Now I am pondering what to do with my older rifles.

Sell them to upgrade your glass.

Either scope or new Binos. smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by GrimJim

Sell them to upgrade your glass.

Either scope or new Binos. smile

I will probably part the old rifles out. It should be easier to sell the McMillan Edge stocks and the Remington 700 short actions with Jewell triggers and Williams Firearms bottom metal separately, I think. The .308 barrels all have custom chambers reamed to minimum dimensions. That's the reason I bought the first Tikka. My reloads started getting stuck in chambers and I needed a rifle with a factory chamber so I can shoot up boxes of reloads that never quite performed. While shooting a load with 150 grain Sierra Prohunter softpoints and IMR 4166, the first Tikka consistently averaged about 1" center to center for three shot groups. I could not get the older rifles to do that with 150 grain Sierras. They would shoot 180 grain round nose bullets well and one with a 10 inch twist will put five 150 grain Accubonds in an inch (I will keep that one!). I can pay for the Tikkas with the proceeds.

My optics are Meopta MeoPro 6x42 German No. 4 reticle for scope and Swarovski SLC 7x42 for binoculars. They are about right for what I need.

I was worried about the LOP but the Tikka's trigger is further forward in relation to the action than the 700; the distance from the scope to the recoil pad is the same and the Tikka stock is straight with no drop at heel. The scope picture is very comfortable. The Warne Mountain picatinny rail and TPS rings offer a lot of flexibility in scope position.

I really appreciate the Tikka factory trigger. I have been alternating between 700's and Tikka's at the range and there are no issues transitioning back and forth between the Jewell trigger and the T3x trigger.

The bottom metal is not as nice as the Williams but as long as the magazine is well seated the straight line feed is more reliable than the double stack feed. The shorter bolt throw is nice too..

Last edited by GrimJim; 07/20/17.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would look at the mountain tactical bottom metal and stay away from anything atlxworx makes or sells. That POS company sold me A7 bottom metal that would not latch the magazine, turns out they didn't design it right so I had to grind mine just so it would work. mad

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.