-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 31 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 30 31
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the info here. Been going back and forth between getting one in 7-08 vs .270 as an all around deer and sometimes elk rifle. Currently have both cals in Montuckys so there will definitely be some duplication and probably the sale of one of them. I'm concerned the barrel is too light in the short action and bulky in the long. The montuckys have similar barrel profiles with different length and shank length between short and long action. The description above says the short action barrel profile is sub #0 and the long is more like a #2. I'm hoping someone has seen or handled the long action and could give me some info on what they thought comparing the short and long actions.

Also wondering if SAS has some input on them and when they are expected to be at the shop.

Thanks,
Craig

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SAS, I would buy 1, maybe 2 LH's, depending on caliber offering.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did I read the website right? 243 1 in 7" twist?

That's sweet!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and my test rifle shoots 115-grain Berger VLD's very well at close to 2900 fps, using Ramshot Magnum.

A few more comments for people that asked other questions. Apparently many don't really know how and why the Fieldcraft appeared.

Forbes Rifle went under pretty quickly. Melvin Forbes was one of the original partners, helping set up the factory and overseeing the production of the first few dozen rifles, but when the people at the Maine factory started making rifles on their own, the quality went downhill quickly, and Melvin demanded his partnership be bought out, because he didn't want anything to do with the operation. After that the quality went downhill even further, and Forbes soon declared bankruptcy.

Barrett eventually bought out the remaining assets of Forbes, which included some rifles and actions. They took a close look at everything and decided to build a similar but not indentical rifle. Which is why the Fieldcraft resembles the Forbes/NULA, but differs in a number of ways.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wasn't aware of that - good info to know.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did they give you a custom serial number too?

Last edited by Sitka deer; 07/20/17. Reason: Typo

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Damn it man........you Whitakers guys are making it hard on a guy to keep money in the bank account.........that rifle appears to be all the Kimber Montana should be if done right............

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How does the stock compare to a NULA as far as dimensions and overall feel? I may have missed it somewhere here in the thread already; I apologize if so.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep!

Must be good to be King!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

It's VERY similar to the NULA stock in all dimensions, including the comb sloping slightly downward. The grip's slightly slimmer, 5" in circumference vs. 5-1/4" on the NULA's in our safe. LOP is 13-3/4".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Unfortunately, I was told the left hand models are a ways out. Barrett isn't ignoring the left hand crowd. It's just a major undertaking and a major financial commitment. Lots of tooling and expense.

Before I say any of this, please keep in my I have a left handed son -- so I have a personal interest, but...

best estimates suggest left handers are about 8% of the firearms market. Our numbers reflect that and we sell in excess 20,000 long guns a year. I realize those numbers are probably not accurate. Young shooters are given right hand firearms and stay that way for life, few companies offer a complete left hand selection of firearms, left handers can't get exactly what they want so they compromise, etc., etc. Lots of factors negatively impact those numbers.

This may sound selfish, but left hand guys better hope Barrett moves a ton of right hand Fieldcrafts. The rifle needs to be a major success before the capital is generated to produce left hand actions, stocks, etc.

Maybe that's a question that can be answered? How many preorders would it take to get the ball rolling?

It's unfortunate that they mislead the buying public about it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, John!

Thinking I need to offload some toys and get a Barrett headed this direction.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think they mislead anyone. It's still happening. It'll just take a bit.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Unfortunately, I was told the left hand models are a ways out. Barrett isn't ignoring the left hand crowd. It's just a major undertaking and a major financial commitment. Lots of tooling and expense.

Before I say any of this, please keep in my I have a left handed son -- so I have a personal interest, but...

best estimates suggest left handers are about 8% of the firearms market. Our numbers reflect that and we sell in excess 20,000 long guns a year. I realize those numbers are probably not accurate. Young shooters are given right hand firearms and stay that way for life, few companies offer a complete left hand selection of firearms, left handers can't get exactly what they want so they compromise, etc., etc. Lots of factors negatively impact those numbers.

This may sound selfish, but left hand guys better hope Barrett moves a ton of right hand Fieldcrafts. The rifle needs to be a major success before the capital is generated to produce left hand actions, stocks, etc.

Maybe that's a question that can be answered? How many preorders would it take to get the ball rolling?

It's unfortunate that they mislead the buying public about it.

Go eat some pudding.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
SAS, I would buy 1, maybe 2 LH's, depending on caliber offering.

Given that the wrist is slightly slimmer, I will commit to take one LH as well to get the ball rolling...

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I don't think they mislead anyone. It's still happening. It'll just take a bit.

Umm. OK.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have some left handed friends looking at this rifle and hoping too. It just may be however that they need to recoup a portion of their investment before investing again. Just a thought,but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anybody seen a .270 or .25-06?

RS

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I have some left handed friends looking at this rifle and hoping too. It just may be however that they need to recoup a portion of their investment before investing again. Just a thought,but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'd probably plunk down some cash to get on the LH list...for a 30-06. smile

Page 18 of 31 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (257 mag, 35, badwolf, BDR1, beefan, 9 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,057
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.