Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Okay, if you have to have a Windows machine and want cheap/frugal, any Lenovo Thinkpad that still runs is a tough machine with decent quality parts.

But your best bet for "long-term" amortization is still a Macbook (standard or pro).

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, all. My son will be a freshman majoring in Engineering. The college's website recommends Windows or Apple, but it does say that there are certain programs in use that will only run on Windows OS. The student can either run Windows on a Mac or use these specific programs at the school's computer lab.

Their latest recommendations published in a new student orientation guide go beyond even what's listed on the College of Engineering's website. The new student guide recommends processor speeds and memory size (Intel core i7, 16GB+ RAM, 512GB+ SSD hard drive) that makes any laptop fitted out with these specs relatively expensive.

My son is footing at least part of the cost, and he is leaning toward the MS Surface Pro. My concern with this particular model is that it looks to be a little on the flimsy side with its extendable kickstand and thin, detachable keyboard. He's played with some of them at stores, and he seems to be impressed with the Surface Pro's ability to recognize handwritten notes on the screen and organize them into MS One Note. He claims that even fairly complex handwritten math problems are recognized and organized. Better yet, the computer has the ability to solve the math problems and provide a step-by-step explanation as to how the problem is solved. I'm not sure if that's accurate, but that was my take on what I was being told.

Here is a cellphone pic of the recommended specs from the new student guide:

[Linked Image]

Edited to add:

My experience with Windows seems to be that my work computers, which are updated, maintained and supported by a professional IT staff work well. My Windows home computers that are maintained by me (or not) seem to run OK for about a year or so and then get bogged down and hinky.

I've heard from Mac owners that the computers seem to remain stable and run well for longer periods of time.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 07/23/17.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I use a Windows PC (at work), Linux PC (at home), and a Mac (at home) virtually every day. I totally agree that the PCs are ok when they are maintained by a dedicated IT department. The Macs just simply work without any effort much on my part. There is no question that I would get him a Mac.

Your last line has been my experience with them for the last 15 years.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I use the 17" laptops here in the house. They are quiet, work well and I can see over it and watch the TV here with my wife.

I have four of them I am on a HP-17-p 120wm. now. There are two Toshiba Satellite L75's closed here ready in this room when I need them and another 17 in my basement workshop.

Number one requirement of a laptop is to be able to see over it to watch tv with the wife.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've done a lot of typing over the years and I can make a standard sized keyboard smoke. However...when I try to type on a smaller board, I'm lucky to get 5 words/min with under 30 mistakes. I just can't adapt to the downsized ones. At home I use a 17" laptop with remote keyboard, mouse, and 22" monitor. I just unplug all that stuff and take the computer when we travel. All the USB stuff is plugged into a hub so there's only 1 USB wire to pull out.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by achadwick
I have had very satisfactory results from my HP laptop.

Me too.

I always buy HP. My great uncle was a very early investor in the company, and got out because he could not see the value of such a company.

I think of him every time I use my computer.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Only one answer fits.....Apple. The only laptop which will last for 4 years of school.

Doc

I've had my fill with Windows and Dell. A few years back I bought a MacBook Pro - best decision ever. Finest firewall protection there is imo. Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been using Toshiba Satellite lap tops for years. Bullet proof.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Having used a bunch of laptops and been around people that do for business, I've yet to meet anyone who went Mac that ever went back.

Just get the Macbook Pro and be done with it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use and support HP's at work. No complaints.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me too.

I always buy HP. My great uncle was a very early investor in the company, and got out because he could not see the value of such a company.

I have an HP. My wife has a Lenovo. They have different processors that are rated to be the same speed but the Lenovo is at least twice as fast.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Originally Posted by GuideGun
Depends on his program of study.

There are a lot of software packages that are only for Windows, so keep that in mind. They can be a pain to get to run correctly with an emulator on a Mac.

1+

A hard science major- Dell

Liberal Arts- Apple

My son graduated with a "Hard Science bachelors degree"... Only used Mac OS computers..

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Having used a bunch of laptops and been around people that do for business, I've yet to meet anyone who went Mac that ever went back.

DD,

How difficult and/or expensive would it be to run MS Windows on a Mac? I assume I would have to buy some version of Windows 10 to do so. Also, does it noticeably affect the computer's performance to be running two OSs simultaneously?

Thank you.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

DD,

How difficult and/or expensive would it be to run MS Windows on a Mac? I assume I would have to buy some version of Windows 10 to do so. Also, does it noticeably affect the computer's performance to be running two OSs simultaneously?

Thank you.

DD can answer better than I, but I have never found a need to run any MS software on my Macs. So much is either web based or on both platforms that I don't find a need for it except for one particular program that I am on the developer to resolve. I have to use a PC for my race cars which have a MS only program for altering the tuning. This is a dedicated HP laptop for my race cars that never sees the light of day on the internet.

Everything else I can run on my Macs flawlessly. With the availability of MS Office for Macs the gap has closed dramatically for me. I also don't like learning new stuff all the time. Macs and Linux adhere to keeping the look and feel pretty much the same upgrade after upgrade. If you don't mind learning how to navigate a new operating system all the time or you are ok fearing the next OS upgrade then MS based PCs are for you. I have never feared an OS upgrade on my Macs.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
How difficult and/or expensive would it be to run MS Windows on a Mac?

Piece of cake. You just need to buy a copy of Windows. Using Bootcamp, only one OS is actually running at once so there is no performance hit. You do need more disk space to hold the second system. You can read the general procedure here: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-windows-10-macbook

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm typing this on an 8 year old Toshiba. But it is giving some problems. The guy who does my computer repair says Toshiba is as good as HP or Dell. But he can repair Dell or HP a lot easier and cheaper. A few months ago I thought mine was shot and I ran across a great deal on an HP. But until this one completely dies I still use it as well as the new HP.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Only one answer fits.....Apple. The only laptop which will last for 4 years of school.

Doc

Oh, I dunno about that. My son's Dell has lasted him 7 years, so far. 6 in college. My daughter's Toshiba has lasted her 6 years and still working. My Toshiba has lasted me 5 years and doing well. My youngest's Lenovo was a mistake.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me too.

I have an HP. My wife has a Lenovo. They have different processors that are rated to be the same speed but the Lenovo is at least twice as fast.

Your HP might need a tune up.....maybe check the alignment and change the oil too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After a quick Google search, it looks like a Windows 10 Pro license cost $200 ($179 for a student). Being that my son is already leaning toward a Surface Pro, I'm not sure we want to spend an additional $200 on a second OS. He could probably get by without it and use the school's computers on rare occasions when needed.

I just don't have a good feeling about the Surface Pro's longevity. Anyone have long-term experience with a Surface machine?

Most, if not all, of the money for the laptop will be coming from my son's HS graduation gift haul. This makes cramming my choice down his throat without discussion a bit more complicated....

Last edited by CoalCracker; 07/24/17.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don't know if this will help in your decision;

CNET 13 in Laptop Reviews by highest rated LINK

PC Magazine Best Laptops of 2017 LINK

Personally, I'd go with either a Dell XPS or an Alienware.

Oh, and buy whatever you get from Costco. They have THE best return policy AND offer an extended 3 year warranty that will come in very handy for a college laptop.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 14,366 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,221
Posts18,543,833
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.