Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I have a 257 Ackley Improved and several years ago a friend helped me fireform 257 Roberts cases by loading X amount of powder into primerd cases, then putting loosely wrapped toilet paper in the cartridge mouth. Once fired, the cases were perfectly fire formed. Sadly my friend passed away a couple of years ago, and I've forgotten what powder and the amount to use when fireforming cases.I do know that the amount of powder in the case was small, something like 5 grains, but for the life of me, I can't find notes about the process. I have a batch of new 280 cases that I want to fireform using that process. Can someone from this brain trust help me out? It will be greatly appreciated.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Must have,been an extremely fast powder. Generally it requires an inert filler for weight above the powder, such as cream of wheat cereal. With that method, I used either Unique or Universal Clays and start about 8 grains and work up. Seems like about 12 grains is what it took but it is trial and error. You can always run some again if it wasnt enough powder to start.

I put the powder in, filled the case with cream of wheat cereal, then jammed some kleenex in the neck.

I actually built a PVC pipe trap to use indoors to catch all the debris and muffle the sound. It sounded like a dull thud, firing in a basement. You do have to watch your barrel temp. It heats up quick. I used a compressor with a small clear hose attached to a blower valve. Air from the chamber end cooled it nicely with no water or ice needed.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Laws of physics say it was a fast powder.

Ken - interesting idea. Care to show photos? Must have been firefirming many many cases.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Done it for 30+ years on my 280AI. I use 22.0 grains of Bullseye with a quarter square of tp tamped down hard on top of the powder with a small rod or drill bit. Point the rifle up and pull the trigger. It's that simple. It's loud and the barrel heats up fast though....only do about five at the time before I let it cool completely. Wear your ear muffs. If the shoulders only come out rounded rather than squared off, add a grain on the next round. That info came straight from Jarrett rifles when I picked up my rifle and it works beautifully.

Easier and cheaper...no bullets used.

Last edited by Godogs57; 07/23/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For 06 size cases 13 grains of Red Dot worked well going up or down a grain or two depending on how the shoulder looked. I would start at 10 and go up for the 257.

I used the Lee scoops for both powder and cream of wheat and it went really fast.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Laws of physics say it was a fast powder.

Ken - interesting idea. Care to show photos? Must have been firefirming many many cases.

I think I did 120 or so in one session. Pretty efficient once everything is in place.

I now use Nosler brass (generally get it once fired), so fireforming is a thing of the past. But, I did it for both the 25-06 and the 280 AI versions. No longer have the 25-06 AI. Saves a bunch of bullets, powder, range time, etc.

The pipe was about a 4 or 5 foot section of 4" PVC. On the one end I put reducing bushings to get it down to a size just above the barrel diameter. Then I also wrapped painters tape on the barrel, to keep the soot and crud from building up (stainless barrel, no sight)

On the other end of the pipe, I used a 4x3 reducing elbow, and then a vertical piece of 3" pipe, running down into a large plastic trash can with a hole cut in the lid for the pipe. I put about 6" or so of water in the can to help further catch the small dust. The pipe can't actually be under the water, or the force of the first shot will just produce a geyser, and blow the lid off the can. Clamped the rig to a wood work bench with pipe straps. Also, important to keep a clothes dryer running on air cycle or something to pull fresh air into the room. Interesting note- even with that, the process did trigger a CO detector upstairs. If I ever did it again, I'd do it in a garage with a window or door partially opened. Even in a city environment, the actual sound produced would sound no different than some kind of impact tool or nail gun.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks folks. I knew that someone could and would help me on this. It's much appreciated. T

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This is the formula:
Determine the weight of a full charge with a heavy bullet and slow burning powder. As an example say it is 60 grains. Then compute 20% of that weight. Using our example that is 12 grains. Use Bullseye, a very fast pistol powder. IMPT use pistol primers and only for the case forming and keep them stored away from your rifle primers. Do not use rifle primers for forming. Over the powder use cream of wheat cereal or wheat bran for filler and top off with tissue to keep the cereal in the case. Point the rifle skyward and torch it off. Increase powder charge to more fully form the shoulder but don't try for a perfect complete job. Clean the throat area of burnt cereal about every 5 shots. Use a nylon brush. The headspace of your brass should be set so closing the bolt is very snug. If necessary neck up to the next larger diameter and neck down to form a secondary shoulder. Then add powder as described above.

I taught a buddy this method. He was not a very mechanical sort. He was forming 460 Wby brass up to 510 Wells. His cases were not fully and perfectly formed so he decided to use a heavier filler rather than increase the powder charge. Anyhow he did manage to perfectly form 100 cases. Sadly he had to replace the barrel because he was adding a little sand to each load. TRUE STORY. He took his big rifle to Zim and missed a buff standing broadside at 30 yards. He also missed an entire elephant at the same distance. Eventually he detached a retina and went back to playing tennis. No kidding.

Last edited by RinB; 07/25/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd use a Visa card, and buy 280 Ack brass. But then, I absolutely hate to have to fireform brass. Probably why I only own one rifle that requires it. A 219 Zip Imp. If I could buy brass for it, I would!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd use a Visa card, and buy 280 Ack brass.

TFF. To say that it caught me off guard is an understatement. I may need a new keyboard after reading the above. ! laugh

FWIW, I'd do the same or buy some 280 Rem with the flavor of brass you prefer and fireform those.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I'd use a Visa card. I just checked the loading-supply websites where I order most of my stuff, and only one didn't have .280 Ackley cases in stock. Nosler must have made a recent run.

I've found the Nosler .280 AI brass to be very good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I love my Nosler 280 AI brass as well. However, it has become impossible to find.

I mentioned this earlier on the Campfire, but I attended the recent NRA meetings in Atlanta. The first booth/display I went to was Nosler's. I asked them when, if ever, will they market 280AI brass again? I referenced a press release from months ago that said they were coming down the line, so to speak, and soon. So far, nothing.

The Nosler rep kind of gave me the "eye roll" look and said they had "No idea when we'll get some....if ever". The "if ever" caught my attention. I asked him to expound on it, asking if that round was outsourced. He said it was indeed outsourced and it may never appear again in Nosler inventory. Take that info for what it's worth...but it did come straight from Nosler.

I have 2 1/2 boxes of Nosler AI brass on hand and when I got home, ordered a box of plain ol Nosler 280 Rem brass. I'll use the old Bullseye trick again sometime in the future I suppose.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Nosler 280 Ackley brass came and went as fast as you can read this sentence.

Sold.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it's going fast, but I just checked and it's still listed as in stock at Graf & Son and Midsouth Shooter's Supply.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler
I'd use a Visa card, and buy 280 Ack brass.

TFF. To say that it caught me off guard is an understatement. I may need a new keyboard after reading the above. ! laugh

FWIW, I'd do the same or buy some 280 Rem with the flavor of brass you prefer and fireform those.

Glad it made you laugh! smile It was intended to be both humorous, and serious. I truly do detest fire forming. If the rifle were not so darn cool, and accurate, I'd send it down the road. Just can't part with it!

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, it certainly made me laugh - and made a mess. Even after a good cleaning I have a couple of sticky keys!

I got the both the humor and truth in your message. I'm not fond of fireforming either, but with multiple 280AIs I find it necessary. Even though each chamber was cut with the same reamer and the same head-space gages used, fireforming allows me to dedicate brass brand X to rifle X, brass brand Y to rifle Y, and so on. That's not to say that I haven't bought my fair share of Nosler 280AI brass though.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Cabelas, Brownells, and others have it in stock. There is plenty of demand to counter the inaccurate reports of one "rep"

By the way, it is made by Norma. So, if Nosler wants to really lose out on it, they can drop it, and let Norma sell it directly, just without the fancy packaging.

Last edited by KenMi; 07/28/17.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by KenMi
Cabelas, Brownells, and others have it in stock. There is plenty of demand to counter the inaccurate reports of one "rep"

By the way, it is made by Norma. So, if Nosler wants to really lose out on it, they can drop it, and let Norma sell it directly, just without the fancy packaging.

Fantastic news....glad you posted that. That rep was sure depressing for me that day. Thanks for coming through Norma.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would love to see Nosler offer it in the new unprepped bagged version like they just started with some small caliber brass. Many reloaders do all the same steps for all brass anyhow

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"but with multiple 280AIs I find it necessary."

Oh man, you are a rifle looney! smile

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,700
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.