Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i wouldn't even go to mexico 45 years ago. some of my friends did, got thrown in jail on trumped up charges, and the inmates stole their shoes, & belts.

they said they'd never go back. i was glad i had turned down the invitation to ride down there with them.

mexico must have some lovely places, geographically speaking. they can keep them.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gonehuntin: Other than a VERY brief stop at the mexican island of Cozumel by a cruise ship destined for the western Caribbean I have never been to mexico - never wanted to go there in the past and certainly never will travel there in the future.
I feel sorry for the few law abiding citizens of that drug addled, corrupt, backwards, third world schhithole of a country.
And its getting worse.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
But...where else can I get bad drugs and super chlymidia?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ribka
I go down to Baja del sur area of Mexico every year. I rent a car, rent a house from a local and fish and dive areas along the coast away from the tourists. Absolutely beautiful areas with great fishing and diving. I feel safe food shopping at local markets. Am careful what I buy and drink down there.

Safe if you know some Spanish, use common sense and have some situational awareness. I ve travelled all over the world and Mexico for the most part is not that bad if you avoid certain areas and use common sense. I avoid the tourist areas. Most of Mexico is Certainly much safer than Baltimore philly and Chicago . I don't want to go through being a scared little poosy crazy but I enjoy traveling to countries that something different to offer. Been

Is Mexico a violent [bleep] up country? Yep but still a lot of very beautiful unspoiled areas to experience before they're gone.

Our Department of State is. Joke when it comes to American citizens who are victims of crimes when traveling abroad.

ribka, I hear ya. If I didn't leave the country every time I heard someone who has never been anywhere say "Oh, it's dangerous there", I'd have never been to many of the fantastic places I've been. I just nod and say nothing. There's nothing I can say to them to change their mind. I've been going to Mexico for almost 30 years. I've been down there 36 times, almost always fishing at least some of the time there.

As you say, situational awareness is a big factor. I don't stay in heavily touristed areas anymore.That's not the experience I want, anyway. Watching people get falling down drunk at the pool bar is not my idea of a good time. I'm more of the get back to nature mindset these days when I go down there and I look for places right on the edge of that.

My favorite spot right now is Tulum. I rent a condo on the south edge of town, right on the edge of the jungle wilderness. New construction. The town is growing. Past that is jungle wilderness until you get to either Costa Maya or Chetumal, on the border with Belize. To fish, I always rent a small car and drive out to Tulum Beach and then south to S'ian Kaan, a World Wildlife Preserve. I buy their daily wristband and then drive 10-40 miles down a dirt road to park and DIY wade fish somewhere between S'ian Kaan entrance and Punta Allen (furthest point south on the dirt road). The places I go are incredible. No noise but nature noise. Many days I don't see another human all day. All this work gets me encounters with big permit, bonefish, snook and tarpon that may have never seen an artificial lure or fly. Getcha some of that and see how you like it. It's what keeps me going back.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I go down to Baja del sur area of Mexico every year. I rent a car, rent a house from a local and fish and dive areas along the coast away from the tourists. Absolutely beautiful areas with great fishing and diving. I feel safe food shopping at local markets. Am careful what I buy and drink down there.

Safe if you know some Spanish, use common sense and have some situational awareness. I ve travelled all over the world and Mexico for the most part is not that bad if you avoid certain areas and use common sense. I avoid the tourist areas. Most of Mexico is Certainly much safer than Baltimore philly and Chicago . I don't want to go through being a scared little poosy crazy but I enjoy traveling to countries that something different to offer. Been

Is Mexico a violent [bleep] up country? Yep but still a lot of very beautiful unspoiled areas to experience before they're gone.

Our Department of State is. Joke when it comes to American citizens who are victims of crimes when traveling abroad.

I strongly disagree with you.

You just think you are safe if you use common sense. What about the lack of common sense or strong sense of murderous intent of those that would kill you for what's in our pockets down there? Or kidnap you to demand ransom?

You are safe until you aren't. When that moment of realization hits, it's too late to take it back.

That applies to everywhere.

A quick look puts the murder rate of American tourists in Mexico at .84 per 100,000 visitors in the 5 year period between 2009 and 2013.

For comparison, the murder rate of Texas per 100,000 residents? 4.8

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the 1960s my Dad drove the family truckster station wagon deep into Mexico filled with our tourist luggage.
Somehow he managed to get lost in some city deep in Mexico and we found ourselves in a poor section of town.
The streets were V shaped. They sloped toward a gutter/sewer in the center of the street instead of being crown shaped where the water shed off toward the edges.
That deep gutter in the center had once had steel grates covering it, most of which had now been stolen.
Somehow my Dad managed to get the station wagon straddling the gutter and could not deviate from straddling it without dropping a wheel into it. We had no choice to to follow the gutter.
At one point young boys the same age as my brother and I grew noticeably excited at the slow moving vehicle and swarmed down toward us from both sides of the street.
My mother shrieked "Roll up the windows, Lock the doors!"
The boys hung from the rooftop luggage rack on either side of the station wagon.
We proceeded as fast as my Dad dared drive, a dozen people aboard, the vehicle still straddling the sewer/gutter, with 3-5 boys hanging from each side rocking the wagon from side to side as violently as they could.
Eventually the boys began to drop off and return to the block they had come from.
We came to a section where the grates had not (yet) been stolen and were able to maneuver the vehicle off onto the right lane.
After a while we were able to find our way out of the Mexican ghetto.

Good times.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner

You just think you are safe if you use common sense. What about the lack of common sense or strong sense of murderous intent of those that would kill you for what's in our pockets down there? Or kidnap you to demand ransom?

You are safe until you aren't. When that moment of realization hits, it's too late to take it back.

A quick look puts the murder rate of American tourists in Mexico at .84 per 100,000 visitors in the 5 year period between 2009 and 2013.

And the murder rate in that 3rd world schidthole is over 16%.

By all means take your chances.

BTW, how much time have you spent in Mexico, or on the Mexico border?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

spend your US dollars in America...........

screw Mexico.............

vacation in Alaska...............

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see no reason and have no desire to go to Mexico.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by MadMooner

And the murder rate in that 3rd world schidthole is over 16%.

By all means take your chances.

BTW, how much time have you spent in Mexico, or on the Mexico border?

Never been to the Border. WTF would I go anywhere near the Mexican border? It's mostly a schidthole. Fly over it and go to a nicer and safer part of the country. Mexico is a big place. Baja is great.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tikkanut

spend your US dollars in America...........

screw Mexico.............

vacation in Alaska...............

Alaska is awesome, but the marlin fishing sucks.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
What part of Mexico don't suck?

The part that washed away into the ocean.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 12,364 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,023
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.