Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
slammer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I owned one Kimber rifle in my life - many moons ago. I bought it online and was anxious to get it and try it out. When I cycled the bolt, and it was in the locked down position, it would jiggle around so much that I couldn't get past that and sold it without ever shooting it. I also remember reading at that time that accuracy was hit or miss. So that is my experience with Kimber- one rifle, with a sloppy bolt that I never fired. So with that said, are the bolts still sloppy and jiggly or do they lock down tight? Also how is accuracy now a days?

Last edited by slammer; 07/22/17.
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 7 for 7 in the kimber roulette game. Never had an issue, bought 2 new and 5 used online. My worst issues were undisclosed damage from the seller: chips out of montana stocks, extra hole drilled and tapped in the reciever for scope bases (very crudely) etc.

They've all shot fine. Better than guns weighing twice as much, which is what you are paying for... the weight.

You can't put 20 rous through them in 30 minutes from the bench and expect to hold accuracy, but 2 or 3 rounds in 5 minutes and letting the rifle take a break before the next group really shows off what these guns are capable of.

I like to do a cold bore shot and then a second and third pretty fast, just to simulate hunting conditions as my first group, then let it cool, and do other load testing at 1 minute intervals between shots and then letting the gun rest for 10 minutes. (It helps to have multiple guns that need shooting so you don't get bored to death sitting there) I'l usually end the session with a similar rapid 2-3 shot group.

I also put alot of body pressure on the stock, and pull the forend down either with my hand or with sling pressure. With guns that light they will jump when fired if not held firmly and that effects accuracy. The idea is to try to apply the same pressure every time, probably not possible, but its something to work toward.

Ive gotten lots of them to shoot MOA with factory ammo with these techniques, techniques that take into accout field conditions andmy hunting situations,, sometimes offhand, multiple shots rapidly at groups of hogs etc.

Best of luck to you, I honestly believe feature for dollar, there is no better rifle out there... period. Like any higher level product though, it takes a little more work on the users end to be able to get the maximum benefit from the product.

Last edited by Mjduct; 07/22/17.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It seems the guys that love these rifles are mostly amateur gunsmiths and enjoy modifying there rifles. I have spun the roulette wheel twice and was 1 for 2, the good rifle was a Mod 84 Classic in .308 Win, this rifle functioned fine and shot MOA, My other Try at Kimber roulette was a Montana in the same .308 Win, this rifle had feeding and extracting issues and was a 4 MOA rifle with its favorite factory ammo.....If you are a handloader (which i gave up many years ago) you will have a much better chance of discovering a load it will shoot, as for other issues if you are a shadetree gunsmith you might deal with some minor issues that a given rifle might have.....I like rifles that shoot MOA and function like they are supposed to right out of the box like the dozen's of NIB factory rifles like the Tikka T3/T3X, Browning X-Bolt, CZ 527 and even Remington 700's I have owned over the last several years.......Good luck if you decide to try your luck at the wheel, I hope you get a winner..........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same old recycled garbage.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've owned 2 Montanas. I think they are the best value for the money. However, I WOULD NOT buy one site-unseen. For me, those days are gone.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I own one, and it's my favorite rifle. Light weight and mine shoots around an inch with all factory ammo so far. And for some lucky reason it goes about half moa with nosler trophy grade ammo. I think the quality is there, and the new ones are the best to come out of yonkers.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wouldn't buy any rifle without the ability to do the simple things I've done to my Montana to get it to shoot very well. Saying you have to be an armature gunsmith for those simple things is about like saying you need to be a mechanic to change your oil,or rotate your tires. Most issues are simple things that any rifle should have checked.

Shouldn't have to do anything to a $1200 rifle..bla,bla,bla. It's like saying you shouldn't have to service a Porsche because it costs $90K. You might not have to do anything to the Barrett but you are paying them $400 not to have to. I spent all of $50 on mine in bedding compound and a few hours of my time enjoying doing what I like doing anyway.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have had several Montanas and they have all shot well. I admit that I am a rifle looney and the only one that I still own is a 300 WSM, but that has been one of my favorites.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I like rifles that shoot MOA and function like they are supposed to right out of the box like the dozen's of NIB factory rifles like the Tikka T3/T3X, Browning X-Bolt, CZ 527 and even Remington 700's I have owned over the last several years.......Good luck if you decide to try your luck at the wheel, I hope you get a winner..........Hb

The Kimber Montana is a true lightweight. ULA started it, and the Forbes (RIP) and the new Barrett are similar.

Beyond weight, the brands you mentioned don't offer the features that are important to me so I am not too familiar with their products.

But if any of those brands offer a rifle within a couple ounces of 5lb, please weigh in.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nope, not 5lbs 2oz's like the Montana in .308 weighs (I am a .300 Win guy anyway) but I went to Kimber's site just for chitz and giggles and glanced at the specs for their Montana in 30-06, it weighs 5lbs 10 0z's...the Tikka T3x Superlite weighs 5.9lbs in the same 30-06, and to My genuine surprise a Kimber Montana in .300 Win actually weighed 6lbs 13oz's compared to My T3X Superlite's that weight just 6lbs and zero ounces in .300 Win, it seems the Kimber Montana is only a true lightweight rifle if you get one in short action....I also prize lightweight rifles but weight is not My #1 priority in a rifle, its out of the box no gunsmithing required accuracy ( I dont want to buy that Porsche then have to rebuild the motor to make it run right) #2 in My book is rock solid 100% reliable function....lightweight is probly 3rd on My list of most important criteria in a bolt action rifle...Was it Townsend Whelen that said "Only accurate rifles are interesting"?........I couldnt agree more........Hb

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would take a Tikka anyday

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hb

Some people have accuracy problems. Others don't. Hard to identify the issue. Shooter or rifle.

But I struggle to get by the Tikka tupperware and plastic. Just aren't my preference.

Of course I know a lot of guy's replace the bottom plastic, and put them in Mickeys, but now we're really rebuilding the motor.

The Kimber 300WM is built on their 375H&H length action (like Remington, Winchester and others). Tikka can't chamber a full length magnum. They don't offer that action length.

That's why Tikka can't compete in the weight department. The action is one-size-fits-all (except full length magnums).

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
WA, It looks like if weight is your main concern in a bolt action rifle and your a short action guy the Montana is indeed a lightweight rifle but if you like a little more horsepower in a cartridge like Myself the Montana really isnt that light, the Tikka is as light (or quite a bit lighter in a standard magnum). If I really wanted a lightweight rifle I would consider the Barrett, I dont care for a blind magazine rifle but My guess is the Barrett Fieldcraft would most likely function properly and be a good shooter right out of the box. ...I also quit spending money on expensive aftermarket stocks as I found them a colossal waste of My money, I found zero benefit in these carbon fiber and fiberglass stocks as none of my rifles performed any better after a stock change.....At the end of the day its your money so spend it anyway you want, its what I do 👍...........Hb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Not purely a featherweight lover. In fact I like the Kimber Classics better.

I appreciate both SA and LA cartridges, but not really a belted mag fan. I did take a flier on an XBolt in 28 Nosler, that at about $400 plus ship and transfer was too cheap to pass (with the $50 rebate).

I think the Barrett looks great, and based on early reports they shoot very well. But generally it's about $300+ more than I've had to pay for the Montanas (and I do like the CRF and 3-position safety of the Montana).

Maybe more perception than reality, but when I handle a laid-up stock it feels like quality. And of course, it's pretty much compulsory on a really lightweight rifle.

I've probably owned at least 20 Kimber rifles, starting with a two-digit 8400 in 300WSM, both Classics and Montanas, and never had a problem getting them to shoot very well.

If I was a 300WM fan, my choice might be different.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I can say that some of the Kimber wood stocked rifles I have seen are some of the most beautiful rifles you will ever lay eyes on, But I might have a hard time hunting with such a beautiful piece, I would cry if i scratched it....Lol......Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are they only offering wood in the classic selects now? I just looked at their website and don't see any classics. Could be missing something while surfing with my phone....

Have a classic select 257 and a classic 308. Absolutely love them both. Perfection in my eyes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I just read on another thread here that the "mauser" safety on a Kimber is noisy. Has anyone experienced that with their Kimbers? The guy who said that seemed really knowledgeable on just about everything mentioned, including reloading.

Mine seem to be fine on my Kimber rifles, but maybe its a recent cost cutting thing. Any thoughts?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had one Montana in 270 WSM.
Oone of the worst centerfires I have ever owned, both before and after I sent it back to Kimber
I can't discuss today's quality cause I have not touched on in years, and that ain't changing.

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Fotis
I would take a Tikka anyday

Agree. Can't say enough good things about them.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm essentially 0 for 3 on Montanas. First was a .308. Could NOT get that thing to stay under 2 MOA reliably. Probably tried upwards of 200 different loads through it. Second was a .280 AI. It shot ok at 100 but the groups fell apart down range. The current rifle is a .257 Roberts. Accuracy is better, not good, but the chamber is f-u-c-k-e-d u-p. It is impossible to resize brass so that it both feeds and does not cut the case heads off. It's either a real fight to close the bolt or, with the teeniest adjustment of the FL die, excessive headspace. I sent it back to Kimber and their response was essentially "f off", it fed and shot Remington 117 grain round nose factory ammo so they felt I should just sit down and shut up.

All 3 of those predate the sub MOA accuracy standard (it ain't a guarantee, read carefully).

I still think the virtues outweigh the negatives and if I keep going back to the well, I'm going to eventually get a good one. Fingers crossed.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,590
Posts18,492,128
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.