Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We have a Generac 22k that uses natural gas. I got it because of my wife's health which has improved some, Thank God. We paid $7500 for it installed. The contractor poured a nice pad. For the 22k you may need a gas meter with a higher flow rate.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
let me tell you a story about 2 guys that were best of friends there whole life until one bought a generac.

these 2 families lived side by side in va beach for 40 years. the 2 boys from each family became best friends. a few years back there parents all died off leaving the boys both houses. one decided to buy a generac generator for the house,a 25k unit was put in between the 2 houses. first time the power went out and the generator came on the best friend next door started complaing that it was to loud and he couldn't sleep. the guy hat owned the generator then spent a small fortune building walls around it to keep the noise down. the friend still complained and took him to court and one the case. the judge made him get rid of the generator. now its setting in my brotherinlaws garage after he bought it for 1500.00. i may buy it and put it on my house.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Get a Kohler

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Guessing power outages of much length in cold weather could empty the average size storage tank pretty quick using LP as fuel for home heat AND a backup generator at the same time.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srwshooter
let me tell you a story about 2 guys that were best of friends there whole life until one bought a generac.

these 2 families lived side by side in va beach for 40 years. the 2 boys from each family became best friends. a few years back there parents all died off leaving the boys both houses. one decided to buy a generac generator for the house,a 25k unit was put in between the 2 houses. first time the power went out and the generator came on the best friend next door started complaing that it was to loud and he couldn't sleep. the guy hat owned the generator then spent a small fortune building walls around it to keep the noise down. the friend still complained and took him to court and one the case. the judge made him get rid of the generator. now its setting in my brotherinlaws garage after he bought it for 1500.00. i may buy it and put it on my house.
Those things can get really noisy, especially if "between the 2 houses" puts it 10' from your bedroom window. OTOH, how often does the power go out so it kicks on? Is it often enough to really be an issue?

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
They kick on weekly to "cycle"

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Do you need a whole use unit?

I suppose it depends if you are in an area that power goes out alot. But I add up your loads. I have clamped both legs of my house at 9 amps. Stove propane. Dryer is electric. But you can air dry clothes, or tumble on low heat.

Air compressors take alot to start. Probably won't need one, but never know when you get a flat.

I hunted out of a camp with a well, and they ran it off a small generator. Not sure size, but not a whole house. What sucked was all the gas it went through. How many people have enoug full gas cans at all times?

Not sure the draw on central air, that may want you up sizing, especially down south.

A monster unit is nice luxory, but you can do quite a bit without one.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by joken2

Guessing power outages of much length in cold weather could empty the average size storage tank pretty quick using LP as fuel for home heat AND a backup generator at the same time.

Heat is not a huge draw. They will mine up every 3-4 weeks in the winter, and usually has 25-40% in it They can only fill to about 80%.. Obviously you can't time the outage to a full tank. You can get 2nd tank or bigger. Some do it to buy when price low.

How much will the generator eat, is a question. It comes down to how smart you are, and how much the rest of the family listens to you. Turn it off during the day. Fridge will stay cold for a long time when shut. Its a cooler.

Last edited by Zerk; 07/25/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 20K Generac propane wired right to priory load panel...Electric goes on within 10 seconds of the power loss...It is fed by a 1000 gal buried in the ground tank...Test cycles weekly and it's on a service contract every six months to make sure there is never an issue. Best $10,000 I ever spent on the house!!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A friend is the facility and maintenance director for a local college and doesn't have anything good to say about Generac standby generators. Koehler (sp?) and Honeywell are much better according to him. I have a portable 5000W generator that I back feed when the power goes out once or twice a year. We're running mostly gas in our house for water, stove, furnace and I went to LED for all our lights but that little generator will power everything we need in our house (3500 sq/ft). There's a selfish pleasure in having the porch lights on and watching TV in a black out storm.

οΏ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.οΏ½ οΏ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have natural gas on the property, so installed a Generac unit. One repair for a burned out panel in 10 years. Tried to get Kohler unit, but could not find an installer willing to travel to the boondocks. change oil & filter + air filter once a yr and exercise weekly and you are golden.
My gas well is starting to lose pressure, so, I may switch to propane. Propane will produce about 10% more power than natural gas.

Last edited by Stoneybroke; 07/25/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Generac standby generators are great. Just run them once in awhile.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put one in a few years ago. Went cheap with transfer switch and 8KW unit running on propane. Handles the water well, fridges, freezer, lights & ceiling fans in bedrooms, TVs, and fireplace blowers. Not everything but enough to keep us comfortable winter or summer.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I put a 35kw Generac NG unit on a custom home a couple years ago, and my father has a 22kw LP unit he had put in about ten years ago. They both have worked perfectly.

I just finished a larger home, and put in a fairly large Cummins "light commercial" unit. I get the impression the Cummins are better for heavier use, especially when you get into the larger models, but I've only heard good things about Generac.

β€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our son had a job of checking fuel on a generator at a cell phone tower during an outage years back. You could barely hear it running. I wish I could recall the make, it had a Japanese diesel engine.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a 22kw unit when I retired. My Wife said the response time to outages was not acceptable anymore. Guess she was spoiled by having a bucket truck parked in the driveway 24/7? I was all electric so I had to have gas ran to the house. It was close enough that I qualified for a free service but the plumber charged me $175 for his part. I did the electrical myself. I got into it for a total of around $5600. Lots of my neighbors have them but a few have had trouble, including me. It seems that they throw them together at the factory and depend on the warranty guy to fix them. Mine would not program due to a faulty control panel. Took about a week to get that fixed. Then the motor blew up the next time it started and took about a month to get that fixed. Been running fine since then. The neighbors that had trouble are getting good service also, once whatever problems were corrected. 22kw will comfortably carry my all electric house but I did caution my Wife to not wash, dry, cook, wash dishes all at once if she did not have to. Just common sense!

lightman
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Factor in maintenance costs as well as that of the generator itself. Find out how far to the closest factory-certified repair center and how much they charge for service calls.

We installed a Cummins-Onan whole-house unit, and it's a great genset except for the cost of repair. Installed the unit myself except for the electrical hookup (local power company requires a licensed electrician to do the hookups to the transfer switch). Even the electrician said that it's the nicest, well-thought-out generator and transfer switch that he's installed. And American-made (except as it turns out, some of the electrical components). Not much scheduled maintenance needed, and I do the oil and air filter changes myself, which minimizes the costs for routine maintenance.

Worked great for the first four years. Then the genset failed following a big storm. We're out in the country and there's no factory dealer in the area who services these. Cummins had a shop about 1-1/2 hours away, and since the unit was still under warranty they sent out a technician. Turned out to be a circuit board on the genset had failed; part was still covered but labor was no longer under warranty. A couple of weeks later, they installed the new part and had it running like new. But there was a trip-charge of $1000 to come visit and diagnose the problem.

A year later, the unit failed again after another big storm. Different tech came out and this time it was a circuit board in the transfer switch. Two weeks later tech comes out with the part -- wrong part. Seems someone had seen the earlier failed circuit board and placed one on order for the genset instead of the one needed for the transfer switch. Couple of weeks later, another tech comes out with the new part and gets me up & running again. Cummins did not charge for the second trip (when they brought the wrong part) but I did pay for one service call ($1000) and for the part and labor, as the units were no longer under warranty at that point.

So when making your decision, factor in the hidden costs of unscheduled maintenance, particularly after the warranty expires. I'm still very pleased with the system, but had definitely not budgeted for the trip charge.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe a big set should be installed on a trailer with a plug-in so you can haul it to down when needed.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Maybe a big set should be installed on a trailer with a plug-in so you can haul it to down when needed.

That COULD work, if you had both the transfer switch and the genset on the trailer, so that both could be moved for evaluation and repair. You would also need a way to disconnect the power cables, control panel cables, and the propane line (which would need to be purged when you return and re-connect).

There is also the cost of the trailer, maintenance (tires and bearings), tags and annual registration, and (in some states) personal property tax. One would have to consider their own unique situation and do the math to determine whether your proposed solution would be cost-effective in the long run.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,013
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.