Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

First a little background. I own an old Garmin eTrex Summit. It works fine. Simple to operate and reliable. I decided to upgrade to a unit that has Topo maps on the screen.

So I bought a Garmin gpsMap64st and I also bought the high definition topo maps. That was $500 down a rat hole. The screen is too small, the topo doesn't include names of features like mountain tops, creek names, etc., so it's difficult to locate your position on the topo map. The "Go To" function operates so slowly that it can actually send you off in the wrong direction. What a scam!

I'm back to using my little eTrex Summit. But I still want to get a system that combines GPS location with topo maps. A friend has a program on his smart phone but the company has announced that they are planning to discontinue servicing the program.

FIRST QUESTION: What tablet should I buy?

SECOND QUESTION: What program should I buy?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Can't help too much on the first question except to say that we own an iPad Air 2 and it's been just fine, but we don't use it for anything like you're suggesting. As far as programs, I've been using Gaia GPS for a little over a year on my smartphone and been pretty happy with it. The only flaw I've found is that if you're logging over a long period of time the app starts to get a little slow, it's probably a function of how often it's set to log location, but I haven't messed around with it enough to remedy the issue.

Last edited by ajmorell; 07/25/17.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OnX Maps. Works great on an iPhone. Satellite imagery with topo lines is nice!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prm
OnX Maps. Works great on an iPhone. Satellite imagery with topo lines is nice!

+1 On this. I have it on my android and it works great. You can plot points on your computer and save them and have them show up on your phone when you open the app. Turn everything off except the GPS when out hunting and the battery lasts pretty decent. Plus, while your out you have a phone too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 58 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.