Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
In your opinion what is the minimum number of threads required on a large ring 98?

Picked up a couple of actions from a 'Dead Gunsmith' auction.
I purchased them for parts and had planned to sell or give away the bare actions.

The front ring has been cut back notably.
I believe these were Turk GEW actions.
Ring was (probably) undercut during Turk conversion to attach the handguard.
When that undercut was removed by the 'smith it left the front ring short.

If they are past safe minimum, I'll just cut them up to get them off my books.

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The guy that showed me how to thread always said at least 5.

Some will say that if all are not there they can them,but it will work.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If only the handguard ring was removed, the number of threads available did not change. The handguard ring did not supply any support anyway.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Kp321
If only the handguard ring was removed, the number of threads available did not change. The handguard ring did not supply any support anyway.

When Turkey re-worked GEW 98's, they did not have a handguard ring.

They undercut the front of the receiver to create the ring. Thus removing some threads.

Then the 'smith machined off the ring and a small bit more to true the front.
The 'smith didn't remove much, but it added to the amount the Turks had already taken.

Last edited by Red_Hill; 07/20/17. Reason: Clarification
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The guy that showed me how to thread always said at least 5.

Some will say that if all are not there they can them,but it will work.

Understood. I'm not really interested in building anything on these Turk actions.
I have 35-40 'better' actions. Bought these as my spare parts were getting kind of thin.
Before I give these to someone to work with, I want to be confident they are safe to use.
If not, they'll get torch cut.

I asked this question on another forum (Acc. Rel.) and received this answer.

speerchucker30x378 said:

I dug into my notes (I think this came from Kreckler, Rudy Van Owen or old Gus Crites 35 years ago.

The minimum number of threads for a barrel steel, low pressure vessel (45,000 PSI) is .250 ÷ by the pitch of the thread in inches.

The minimum number of threads for a barrel steel, high pressure vessel (55,000 PSI) is .300 ÷ by the pitch of the thread in inches.

So, for cartridges like the 7x57 etc.
.250 ÷ .083 (pitch of 12 TPI) = 3.012 threads total.

For belted magnums.
.300 ÷ .083 (pitch of 12 TPI) = 3.61 threads total.

Common sense also sort of tells me that those numbers would be the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM ! SO, govern yourself accordingly.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I read an article years ago where one of the gun writers removed one thread at a time and fired the rifle to see at what point the rcvr and bbl came apart. One thread.

I don't remember what caliber or how many shots.

I'd not advise going that low..... smile.

I think one of my .30-06's might be running 4, after a barrel setback, but I'd have to look. Which I will, probably over Christmas break, when I try a take-off .270 bbl I bought for it, a few months ago.

No problem in the 30 plus years I've been whacking game with it. I definitely would not go lower than that, and of course, you can't have too many!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built a 30-06 on a Turk (ATF) 1954 action that was a GEW 98. I had no problems with it and a buddy has the rifle now and loves it. It had 3.5-4 threads on it.
If you have an abundance of actions, I would lean toward the lower pressure rounds, but it is not mandatory.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got some Parker Hale Mauser barrels that only have 5 threads and are in 300 Win Mag. The bores look lapped and they shoot well. I tried to get others to use them. I say, "You can put over 1000 foot pounds of torque on the barrel, but you only need 100 foot pounds and it will not shake loose, you don't need all those threads. I can compare bolt thrust to the thread strength. I will show you the calculations."

None of this does any good. There are those who think with numbers and those who don't.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks all for the information.

I am letting them go to others disclosing the turned down rings, comfortable that if they are used, they will be safe.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, AlanF, 12 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 815 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,663
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.