Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a little trouble, but I got these photos of the work so far.
[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
Now I have to make the under-lug, both front and rear sling swivels, silver grip cap, and silver nose cap.
I am debating if I should install a pad or a checkered steel butt plate. Plates are classier, but a pad may be appreciated if I run 250 grain bullets at 2300 FPS. I will use 30MM scope rings for a Vortex scope, but I won't even buy them until I have the scope in hand.

GB1

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Very, very nice Steve. A true European Mannlicher design. Love it. Turkish walnut or maybe Claro? Hard to tell from the photo's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That looks awesome. Cannot wait to see it take shape.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
Had a little trouble, but I got these photos of the work so far.
Now I have to make the under-lug, both front and rear sling swivels, silver grip cap, and silver nose cap.
I am debating if I should install a pad or a checkered steel butt plate. Plates are classier, but a pad may be appreciated if I run 250 grain bullets at 2300 FPS. I will use 30MM scope rings for a Vortex scope, but I won't even buy them until I have the scope in hand.

I really admire someone who takes on a project like this. I can't wait to see it finished.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys.
smile

K22, it's Bastogne actually.

I hope to make a lot of meat for our freezer with this rifle in the coming years. It's one of the guns I had wanted for 3 decades. Now I am just going to build my own guns that I have put off for the last 30+ years. Not all at once, but over the next 2-3 years.

A 9.3X62 Mauser in British fashion, a Lee "Speed" in 303, and a 28 cal flintlock squirrel rifle are all on the list. When they are done I may go into another long period of time in which I make no guns for myself.

I have wanted these for many years and when they are done I can't really think of anything else that give me any motivation to make. (for myself)

After these are done I expect ALL the guns I make will be for customers and friends from then on. We'll see......

Up until last year, I had not made a gun for myself since 1994, (my 62 cal flintlock) and the last two I made for myself before that one was 1988 (a 338-06 Mauser and a 416 Taylor Mauser).

It's been said "the cobbler's kids seem to get their shoes last". Seems like gunsmiths fall into that trap too. My wife talked some sense into me at Thanksgiving time in 2015. So now I am doing a few of my own now and then.

Last edited by szihn; 07/25/17.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Curious why you chose the rear sight that you did for your 9.3? Wouldn't a British fashion bolt have a multiple folding leaves express sight?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No, Carbon12 not on the German or Austrian style rifles. Some German classics have folders, but not the typical British type.
The Germanic folders are usually like the ones on these rifles.
[Linked Image]My 270 8 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
These are the most common to see on German and Austrian sporting rifles made from 1900 to 1925.
but those rifles were also offered with the type I used, which are basically military style, but always with windage adjustment too. most Military sights on Mausers had no windage, will that being done at the front sight.

The British folders are more of the "parade style" as show here.
[Linked Image]416 Taylor Mauser by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]P2160005 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
[Linked Image]Custom CZ 375 4 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr
The + and - of the 2 styles are simply that the folders make you select the blade that is the closest to your target's range and do it very fast. The slide adjustable sights allow you to dial to the range almost exactly but are slower to adjust for range.
Neither is "better". You just choose the one you like.

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Doggone those are nice rifles. And you do some very nice work.

Since all of my deals on a 9.3x62 have fallen through I'm now going to build one. I just bought a 1640 (4100 lightweight) in 30-06 so the action and stock will be my base, now to find a 9.3x62 barrel or a 9.3x57 I can have chambered to the x62. I've considered a Lomar Walther and haven't ruled out yet, but would prefer a nice used one from a Husky.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dam szhin you undoubtedly have a gift for creating a work of art.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by krupp
Dam szhin you undoubtedly have a gift for creating a work of art.

Yeah! I feel like I need a cigarette after that !!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys,
But anyone that does something for over 50 years will get good at it.
Hey K22
PM me. I may be able to help you. Let's talk.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful work. The style of stock demands a metal butt plate. You could hedge buy adding mercury reducers if you can stand the extra weight or make them removable.

But for bench work with just about any rifle or especially those with more dunch then a 7RM I use a shooting shirt, jacket or sissy pad as I have had a couple of incidents when I got carried away and shot too much before a big hunt only to develop a flinch. Had to learn this lesson several times but a flinch will quickly undo that last smidgen of accuracy you gained by shooting additional rounds. With rifles of 458 and over I will even use a sand bag as a shoulder pad and shoot standing up if possible.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah I think you may be right. I am leaning toward the steel butt plate. But I am still going back and forth in my mind on that detail.

I would not add any weight to the stock. The idea of this rifle is to make it light and handy. I am not recoil sensitive, but I also see no virtue in a rifle's kick. The 9.3X57 is factory loaded to very low pressures and has a light recoil, but it's not "kickless". Factory loads fire bullets about as fast as a 30-30 170 grain, but weigh 116 grains more. Coming form a rifles only 12 Oz. heavier than a typical 30-30, it's easy to see that such a rifles will have some recoil. The 9.3X57 dates to a time that many of the rifles it was made in were of the 94 Mauser type and therefore the European specs for the loads keep the pressure down to under 38,000 (Or so I am told)
In a 98 Mauser, the pressures can be safely brought up to 58,500 like so many other shells used on the 98 system. Same bolt face and same action. So should I desire a more powerful load, I can load my ammo up. But if I do, a steel bullet on a 6-3/4 pound gun may be a bit "brisk" to say the least. I may settle on a 250 grain bullet at about 2400 FPS. We'll see soon enough.

Here is the latest. I am hogging out the forward parts.

Last edited by szihn; 07/27/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
K22, I sent you a PM.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am dealing with this by using a leather lace on pad. These look appropriate to me on a classic rifle as long as you don't add the Bubba buddy to it. I like the shorter length of pull for wearing heavy cloths and the longer for summer time and range use.

Like the side panels on this one in spite of what James Howe said about them and a double Schnabel would be appropriate too. Haven't shot the 9.3 but used an 8mm some and they are all very useful rounds and not just for woods hunting either. Cartridges like this and the 358 win just seem to have an air of authority about them and usually there is no mistaking when you hit home with them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Trejano, you are correct about the 8X57. It's a wonderful shell. Not really better than the American classic, the 30-06, but about as good. I killed my deer and my elk with one last year, and I don't buy into the idea that the 8X57 is a "close range cartridge". In fact I am of the opinion that anything the 308 can do the 8X57 can do a bit better, and I am a 308 fan. But credits need to be give when it's due. Flatness of trajectory can be nice, but it's not vital for long range shooting. Heck, the 308 Match loads are not super flat, but ask our nation's enemies is it's worthless at range, and see what they think of USMC and US Army snipers using 308s.

Here is what my 8X57 does regularly with 200 grain bullet.
[Linked Image]PC070001 by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

And with the 170 grain Hornady SSTs is shoots 2X smaller groups that this one in the pic above, but I have found the 170 SST is not ideal for elk, so I am only using them in the future on deer and antelope. It killed a nice sized 5X5 bull last year, but penetration was not as good as I wanted.

I don't own a 358 Win, but I have made a few for customers. I made one for a man who hunts in Western and south western Wyoming with it and has for many years now, and he tells me it's wonderful for elk and moose and he's also killed most of his antelope with it now for the last 18 years or so. Again, I have to reject the notion the 358 is a "only close range shell". It is only if it's owner can only shoot well at close range, or only uses it at close range. My friend has killed many antelope with his, and he tells me many were out past 300 yards and a few were a bit over 400.

I hope to have some details to give in the use of the 9.3X57 and the 9.3X62 in the coming years. I have well over a Dz kills with my 9.3X74R and I can tell you with certainty what some of the bullets can do. I am hoping to add much more information in the coming years.

Last edited by szihn; 07/30/17.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great infor. and awesome rifles....

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
mr szihn you are a fine crafsman i make knifes for myself an family so i realey enjoy seeing an apseate other peples work

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 44mc
mr szihn you are a fine crafsman i make knifes for myself an family so i realey enjoy seeing an apseate other peples work

Ant tat da truff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys.
smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 79 invisible), 2,810 guests, and 1,368 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,724
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.