Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
carlos111,

I am a WORLD CLASS wood butcher, I would never attempt to make my own stock but I thank you for the thought. I won the one on ebay, now waiting for it to show up.

VA,

It is a .50 cal, the same cal & type rifle I took my ona and only Elk with back in '99.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
T, try "Track of the Wolf" muzzle loading parts folk for any small parts you need for the T/C. I buy quite a lot of stuff from them for my T/C's including Green mtn barrels....some of the best around at moderate prices.
From the looks of the lock there was very little damage other than the wood, the Renegade for those of you not in the know is a hawkin with mostly Iron or steel trim rather than brass as on the Hawkin. The 50 cal barrel should be the same size on both Hawkin and Renegade. Get hold of some Birtch wood Casey Plum Brown and make a real nice rifle.

Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 50 cal barrel should be the same size on both Hawkin and Renegade.
Bullwnkl.

It's not.....the Hawken barrel measures 15/16ths" across the flats.....the Renegade is 1" across the flats..........

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, I did the "Gun-Kote" on the metal parts (GASP!) but wanted an all weather rifle when done. I think they look pretty good if not traditional. Still waiting on the stock, it has a rubber butt pad and I am hoping the stock is not altered so I can put the original back on.

Thanks for the "track of the Wolf lead Bullwnkl.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, some carefully applied air dry Gun-Kote and an Ebay stock and the old girl is back together for the princely sum of $56.00 and several hours work. Don't really care for the rubber butt pad but need to reshape the stock for the original steel on.

What Y'all think?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think it came out awesome. Looks new. You plan on taking it out in the deer woods this year?

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Damn, TLEE, that looks GOOD!

Best bet, on getting a non-padded stock, is to trade it/sell it for a non-padded version.

That said, with a full house load and a heavy Maxi-Hunter, you'll like that pad much more than the curved steel option.

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
bearstalker, plan on busting some piggies with it, it is overkill on our deer down here!

VA, I only shoot Hornady 385 grain HBHP's and round ball over 90 grains of FFg so recoil is not really a problem.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T,

Any chance you would post a picture of how the stock is inletted for the trigger? I am converting my renegade from a single trigger to the double set like on your gun. It would be nice to have something for reference when I start removing wood.

thanks......Jeff

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here ya go, if you need more info just holler.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you sir, that will work just fine.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thank you sir, that will work just fine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have the Metal but plate and double set triggers on my 54 Cal. Renegade. If you shoot heavy conicals like maxi hunters etc, you will appreciate that padded but end. Black and blued my shoulder last season just trying different bullets.I'm actually thinking of putting a Sims limbsaver ( grind to fit} on this season. As for the double set triggers, mine are to damn touchy, you breathe on it and it goes off. Nice job on the Renegade TLee, it sure looks purty

Live each day like it's your last. It just might be.
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
That is why I told VA "I only shoot Hornady 385 grain HBHP's and round ball over 90 grains of FFg so recoil is not really a problem."

I don't like to shoot anything that hurts at both ends! smile

Old cat turd!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
well done , very nice restore job

[Linked Image]
T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank you Sir.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How does those Hornady 385 grain work out for ya ? Good penatration and knock down ? Must leave a really nasty hole . Have a couple boxes of the .390 Gr.to try out this year. Know I'm definitely staying away from them buffalo bullets shocked

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I had real good luck on a 900# Elk a few years ago with one. 68 paced off yards right through the boiler room, both lungs and the heart from a dead broadside shot. He took a start and two steps and went down on his nose. Lost a couple pounds of rib meat on the hit side, slug stayed just under the skin on the off side spread to about 75 caliber. I was pushing it with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and lighting it with a #11 CCI magnum cap.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ouchy bet that hurt. Won't be shooting anything that large myself , just whitetails. Should go clean through them.

T LEE Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The only Whitetails I have shot with one I used patched round ball and kept the shots under 75 yards, drop em like a sack of spuds if hit right.

Old cat turd!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.