Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great find, what a beautiful rifle! Have you considered adoption? smile

Jeff

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That gorgeous creature lays nested in her dark lair, awaiting the light to shine again on the opening of her case.
It feels again the thrill of warm appreciation and the little shiver that it inspires, in those lucky enough to handle and revere a true work of rifle makers art.
Folks are inclined to say,"If that Rifle could only speak",....It does, but it's a soft, seductive, and elusive whisper....

words fail,

.....the stuff of legend, this.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
That gorgeous creature lays nested in her dark lair, awaiting the light to shine again on the opening of her case.
It feels again the thrill of warm appreciation and the little shiver that it inspires, in those lucky enough to handle and revere a true work of rifle makers art.
Folks are inclined to say,"If that Rifle could only speak",....It does, but it's a soft, seductive, and elusive whisper....

words fail,

GTC

Greg,

I can't go along with the "words fail" part above!

You wax particularly eloquent today -- everything else you wrote is bang on though!

John

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
buckstix;
Good morning sir and thanks for once again sharing a wonderful piece of history/sporting arm with us.

I can't think of any superlatives that haven't been already used, so I'll just say it's about as cool as they come. cool

Good luck hunting with it this fall and thanks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

words fail,

GTC

You Silver Tongued Devil you! Thats enough to make me squirm in my BVDs....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
<snip>

GTC

You Silver Tongued Devil you! Thats enough to make me squirm in my BVDs....

By the Lord Thundering Jeesus, Ingwe!

Now I have a mental image of you in your underwear! I need some mental eye bleach! sick grin

I think I will scroll back to the top of this thread to try to replace that image with something more pleasant...

John
PS: top of the morning to Dwayne too!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sorry John...but Ive seen exactly four rifles in my life that I would consider exquisite , and one was a utility grade Rigby magazine rifle...

If I could handle the one in the OP the list might expand to five!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mornin' Canada !
Mornin' Sweden !
I'd like to get that fine rifle under a good industrial X-Ray scanner, and see beneath that wood, and just how that "joint" is secured to the metal.
There's some poetry there, too, I'd venture.
GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mornin' Canada !
Mornin' Sweden !
I'd like to get that fine rifle under a good industrial X-Ray scanner, and see beneath that wood, and just how that "joint" is secured to the metal.
There's some poetry there, too, I'd venture.
GTC

If I am not mistaken, buckstix is the guy who lathe-turned a barrel with a bore bigger than your arm, built a muzzle-loading mountain howitzer with it, loaded it with grapeshot, and went deer hunting. He then posted pictures of the perforated carcass after his hunt! The guy has style!

If he is the same guy, I'd think he also might have have the financial resources to get the rifle scanned. I hope your post interests him in doing so -- I want to see the pictures too! laugh

John

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Not exactly sure what you are wanting to see in an x-ray ? ? ? ? ? Please explain.

And Yes, I'm "Buck Stix" the Cannon Guy. ..... http://buckstix.com/howitzer.htm ....... to see how to Hunt Whitetail Deer with a Mountain Howitzer ...

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome!!!

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Not exactly sure what you are wanting to see in an x-ray ? ? ? ? ? Please explain.

And Yes, I'm "Buck Stix" the Cannon Guy. ..... http://buckstix.com/howitzer.htm ....... to see how to Hunt Whitetail Deer with a Mountain Howitzer ...

And, seems I remember you with another exquisite rifle.

I'm surprised that The Rev., after seeing and reading your wonderful post, didn't need to change his Depends.

Maybe that's why his post was extra short... shocked

Congratulations, again...

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm a Mountain Howitz type too, buckstix.

Re: x-raying the piece,.....I'm curious as to how the Mating "Faces" that bear on one another are attached, and interface (no pun intended) with one another,....in other words, WHERE, and to WHAT exactly do those double recessed screws thread into, and how those fixtures are attached to the receiver and the barrel,....Given that it's undoubtedly a top end rust bluing job, and not hot salts, I'm guess in that the fixtures are probably soldered to the reciever and barrel,.....than and again, maybe dovetailed and pinned.

Hope I'm making some sense here,.....and very much look forward to reading about your ongoing accuracy testing, with the rifle left assembled.

GTC

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Re: x-raying the piece,.....I'm curious as to how the Mating "Faces" that bear on one another are attached, and interface (no pun intended) with one another,....in other words, WHERE, and to WHAT exactly do those double recessed screws thread into, and how those fixtures are attached to the receiver and the barrel,....Given that it's undoubtedly a top end rust bluing job, and not hot salts, I'm guess in that the fixtures are probably soldered to the reciever and barrel,.....than and again, maybe dovetailed and pinned. GTC

Hello crossfireoops

Thanks for the reply.

If you are referring to the flat metal plates on the forend and on the end of the stock, they are simply screwed to the wood on each, the stock face and forend face, with wood screws. The plates do not touch the receiver or the barrel, only the wood. Its the barrel and the receiver that "match-up" to each another. Its the same principle as a typical barrel being screwed into the receiver, except they are not "torqued" together. The two surfaces, barrel shoulder and receiver face, are "lapped" to each other and they simply mate with hand pressure. The metal plates "cap" the wood, and the retractable pin provides an anchor to the barrel to keep it locked in place and not unscrew during use.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yessir, that was what I was referring to, and thanks for the quick answer.
One more question,.....are those plates a stainless steel, or are they nickle plated ? Guess they might be a Nickle Silver,....

GTC

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
.....are those plates a stainless steel, or are they nickle plated ? Guess they might be a Nickle Silver,....GTC

The plates are ordinary steel that has been blued. You can see the drag lines in the photos.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'm surprised that The Rev., after seeing and reading your wonderful post, didn't need to change his Depends.

DF

My hands were shaking so much that it took me thirty minutes to type what I did!!

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

My hands were shaking so much that it took me thirty minutes to type what I did!!

RM

I figured buckstix had done a job on you with his post of this super fine and historic rifle.

And, it's just up your alley...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Original John Rigby 275 Take-Down - a recent acquisition

Hello All,

I wanted to take a moment to share with you my excitement about my most recent acquisition - an Original John Rigby Rifle in 275 HV caliber. (7x57mm)

I always wanted an original Rigby rifle in 275 caliber, and I am so very pleased to have finally found one, and this one is a Take-Down model.

The rifle was built using an Oberndorf Mauser Action with its original serial number indicating it was manufactured in early 1924. The action is an "Intermediate Action" that Mauser made specifically for their 7x57mm cartridge. This action is also a very unique one because it has a "single square bridge" at the rear of the receiver, a feature I've not yet found on any other .275 Rigby rifle. The rifle is topped with a 4x scope with a cross hair/post reticle in a German Akah lever-detachable side mount. (similar to a G&H side mount)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is certainly something special, congratulations.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Don't ya just love the sleek, classic lines of that beautiful rifle.

DF

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.