Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 57 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 56 57
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Was in the big woods, this little guy walked out and wouldn't stop til he was at end of Jeep trail.
150 yards w 200gr XTP.
Figured I had two sight settings, guessed wrong on the first (went over). He turned 180 degrees and I whapped him.
Went into CRP so fetched a pop, got my hunting bud and followed the BT.
Windy as heck out on the CRP slope. Was calm back in the woods.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 07/26/17.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My last SBH.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hookeye; 07/26/17.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

[Linked Image]

The reappearance of this thread gives me both a chance to practice with a new image sharing system (postimage.org), and to do so by posting an image of my latest .44 magnum - a Hawes Western Marshall made by J.P. Sauer & Sohn in Germany in 1968. A more pleasing to the eye revolver, probably, than my Herter's guns, but seems just as well made. Sort of (?) resembles a Ruger vaquero to me. 6.5" barrel, case head recesses in the chambers, 3 screw action with no transfer bar, no real rear sight - AND brass grip frame + nice wooden grips, I suspect rosewood but maybe walnut?.

The grips and frame are much smaller than on my Herter's, very similar, again, to a Ruger.

Functions like a new revolver, shoots pretty good. I like it (as I do about anything .44 magnum!).

Mike

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Paul 105.

That is excellent info and thanks for sharing it.

That kind of data posted here will no doubt be of value.

Many may not have noted but since we started this little thread a few years back, we have had a little north of 700K views.

Just a guess, but I am thinking a lot of non members are finding their way here and besides just looking at all the awesome pics of great guns and leather (like your Milt Sparks rig) they are also referencing data to compare against their own.

Who would have guessed we would have had 700,000 views?

I would say that is a testament to how practical the .44 Magnum is as an "all around" Outdoorsman's sidearm. cool

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I think we need to start a 38 special thread. It's the one I carry the mostest.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I logged off and looked at my post. I can see it, even though it's from Photobucket. I wonder why I have not been affected by the change in policy. I haven't paid them a dime, nor have I been asked to. What gives?

Gift horse, so I guess I shouldn't look it too close in the mouth.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Paul 105.

Many may not have noted but since we started this little thread a few years back, we have had a little north of 700K views.

Just a guess, but I am thinking a lot of non members are finding their way here and besides just looking at all the awesome pics of great guns and leather (like your Milt Sparks rig) they are also referencing data to compare against their own.

I would say that is a testament to how practical the .44 Magnum is as an "all around" Outdoorsman's sidearm. cool

Mackay,
I think it is all of us 41 fans racking up the counts. I mean a Smith N frame, or a SBH, or a Redhawk is just as pretty to look at in 44 as it would be if chambered in the vastly superior 41 caliber. grin

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Paul 105.

Mackay,
I think it is all of us 41 fans racking up the counts. I mean a Smith N frame, or a SBH, or a Redhawk is just as pretty to look at in 44 as it would be if chambered in the vastly superior 41 caliber. grin

speaking the truth
last year i bought a 3inch model 29, mostly because it was a lew horton and looked like the model 57 3inch i had in a superior caliber.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you can lead the horse to water?
i am up to two three screw blackhawks now in the .410 caliber.
On the other hand chatting with a gunwriter today i know about some guy up north that likes to shoot those things at elmer keith ranges. the 44 that is.
probably would do better if was using a 41

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
On the other hand chatting with a gunwriter today i know about some guy up north that likes to shoot those things at elmer keith ranges. the 44 that is.

Lotsa Gunwriters out there today. Anybody we know?

Do they know the famous RJM? cool

As awesome as the .41 is, sticking strictly with .44 magnum chambered guns and simply loading 3 levels of loads (light .44 Special equivalent, medium "all around" and elk/Mack Truck/ Dinosaur) has proven to be about ideal (for me).

BTW, I was up in Keith Country last weekend at a friend's who is a well known trainer in the gun industry for a social gathering/shoot and a couple of us did lob a few rounds at some steel up on the hill.

Part of the shoot was a revolver shoot, but instead of my usual .44, I decided to run a 4" pinned and recessed Model 19 that my dad gave me as a B-day gift a few years back. We ran an old school qual course. It was loads of fun. Normally I am just shooting Jacks with my .38, and I had never actually put the Model 19 on paper. That thing was a tackdriver and the DA was dang smooth. I need to carve on the left grip panel though, as it is not set up for speedloaders.

Guys also ran the MARSOC qual course with rifles, but since I just had back surgery the week prior, and the wife threatened to kill me if I re-injure myself, I opted out pretty much all of the rifle stuff.

Fun times!

Speaking of lobbing rounds at long range, here is a pic the RJM took, when he came to visit. the gun is my 4" 29-2.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Lotsa Gunwriters out there today. Anybody we know?

Do they know the famous RJM? cool

As awesome as the .41 is, sticking strictly with .44 magnum chambered guns and simply loading 3 levels of loads (light .44 Special equivalent, medium "all around" and elk/Mack Truck/ Dinosaur) has proven to be about ideal (for me).

BTW, I was up in Keith Country last weekend at a friend's who is a well known trainer in the gun industry for a social gathering/shoot and a couple of us did lob a few rounds at some steel up on the hill.

Part of the shoot was a revolver shoot, but instead of my usual .44, I decided to run a 4" pinned and recessed Model 19 that my dad gave me as a B-day gift a few years back. We ran an old school qual course. It was loads of fun. Normally I am just shooting Jacks with my .38, and I had never actually put the Model 19 on paper. That thing was a tackdriver and the DA was dang smooth. I need to carve on the left grip panel though, as it is not set up for speedloaders.

Guys also ran the MARSOC qual course with rifles, but since I just had back surgery the week prior, and the wife threatened to kill me if I re-injure myself, I opted out pretty much all of the rifle stuff.

Fun times!

Speaking of lobbing rounds at long range, here is a pic the RJM took, when he came to visit. the gun is my 4" 29-2.

[Linked Image]

the gun writer is pretty known, but doesn't go on here. Everybody has their own ideas but i was kind of giggling at some pictures. Some type of course on big bears in alaska, showed a 454, two speed loaders, and ammo on the belt. I was wondering if it was for sasquatch's family. I really started for the most part, shooting a lot that is, with a 4inch model 19. Ammo was about 1.50 a box through the sheriff's department, so i could shoot a lot of it. I still have mine, plus a few others i acquired, new in the box. Mostly i have fired wadcutter's through the service revolver, reserving magnums for the 28. My 19 is very smooth probably from using it so much, but it's still tight. The grips i have work with speedloaders.
In the day, and i am not anything special and not bragging, we use to have what was called a "mexican quail shoot" To mimic a traffic stop where people come boiling out. Stand in a circle, back to the firing line, six steel targets left to right, numbered one through six. varied ranges, you had to shoot in order, plates were mixed, and keep shooting till you hit in order one through six. Range from about five yards to 20yards or so. Had to do a tactical reload so 12rounds fired. At the time it took me about 8seconds to run it with all 12rounds hitting the six plates with ammo in the gun, then doing it again with a reload from a speedloader. the allowed time was 15seconds. I still love that model 19. With 170/180grain hard cast lead, it really smacks stuff. People have the idea that handguns are always short range, just not true. I bought my first ruger super redhawk in44magnum for long range stuff years ago. Banging targets at 10 to 20yards got boring. Interesting enough, in the 70's the courses i took through the sheriff's department, we shot some of it out past 50yards. I still like to bang at stuff way out there like walking in artillery.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/28/17.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I realize this is a 44thread, but had grandkids over last week and their gramma, my wife came up in conversation. years ago we were driving one of my flat fender jeeps on the desert in low range, just bumbling along. A Jack was pacing the side of the jeep on her side. I handed her my model 19 and said shoot it. She didn't say anything, just took the revolver, and shot the poor rabbit on the run about 15 or 20 yards out. I stopped the jeep and asked her why she killed it. Her answer was well you said to. I replied yeah, but i didn't think you could. She inherited from me a model 66 which when you had to requalify for the ccw she would often outshoot patrol deputies. She was the first one i conned into shooting that ruger superredhawk 44magnum, with 180grain bullets. Didn't fase her at all. She didn't know it was suppose to be a boomer.
In actuality she prefers those heavier revolvers, easier on her hands.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

i do the same thing both with 41magnum and 44magnum. Mostly 240grain 250grain pills at 1000fps for normal use. In either caliber.
but i do load lighter than that, and have cast 310grain for the 44mag. They are uber as a former poster would have said. As to 41, i blame my enabler rjm for getting me started there.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The grips on this old 629 were a gift from your Enabler.

While I am normally not a fan of rubber grips, I am a very big fan of these. For one thing, they fit my hand exceptionally well, plus the actual material has just the perfect amount of "give" to it, and I REALLY like the retro 1980s look. It matches the gun perfectly to my eye. It is probably sacrilege to some, but I took a set of Herretts Ropers off, and put these Camo Pachs on! shocked laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Love those grips Mackay.

29-2:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

While I am normally not a fan of rubber grips, I am a very big fan of these. For one thing, they fit my hand exceptionally well, plus the actual material has just the perfect amount of "give" to it, and I REALLY like the retro 1980s look. It matches the gun perfectly to my eye. It is probably sacrilege to some, but I took a set of Herretts Ropers off, and put these Camo Pachs on! shocked laugh

[Linked Image]

i think it was the enabler that cued me in to a six inch 57 on gunbroker, that happened to be in a pawn shop not far from me.
I ended up buying the gun, but took OFF those grips and put a set of the target grips on.
on the other hand i have a 85 production 5 1/2inch blued 41mag redhawk sitting in front of me with a set of hogues on it. i felt the factory grips just felt skinny.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
speaking of 629s, My old Mountain Gun will be going hunting again this fall.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Hard not to like a .44 like that Sam, or the one Travis is showing for a nice belt packable hunting gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4 inch barrel does all I need. With my old eyes, hunting with this revolver is a close range proposition . I get plenty of close range opportunity here in Florida. Swamps, creek beds, and palmetto thickets. Close and fast shooting. It does a fine job on feral pigs with those 240 grain cast bullets.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

[Linked Image]

I love those grips, McKay, but take my opinion with a grain of salt because I'm not an aficionado in that I'm the guy who prefers Hogue finger groove grips to all others on my Smiths and I still call them grips because stocks sounds stupid and a little snobby because the rest of the world knows them as grips.

.41s are awesome, .44 specials are incredible but .44 Mags are near a spiritual experience. Owning a .44 must be a little like what my Texas Aggie friends must have felt like upon receiving their diplomas: though you are normal or maybe inferior that object gives you boost in self confidence, real or imagined, that when you hold it makes you feel superior.

Page 43 of 57 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (280shooter, 222Sako, 325wsm1, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.