Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Didn't see one on the website. Couldn't remember if you were a Savage guy and a lefty or just a Savage guy.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by verhoositz
Looking at the idea of spending $3-$400 net net in a "budget" rifle in something beside a Ruger American. RAR's jusr leave me cold about like a Remmy 710.

The Howa deal at Whittakers comes to mind, and I got a EMail blast recently from the guys in Abilene for a Rebate deal on AB III's with the usual limited amount of inventory that both IMO are a much better rifle than a RAR.

What would ya'll buy in a do all everyday shooter 'tween those 2 ... or is there a better something out there I'm missing in the designated price range. Most likely will be a 7mm something or even a 270, since I've been shooting them since 1969.
Ron .

I hit the Howa deal at Whittakers myself. 6.5 Creedmoor. It doesn't suck.

I also got a deal on a Savage 16 lightweight hunter in .308. It's under 6.75 pounds with 4.75x Weaver Grand Slam mounted in Talley lightweights. Not a bad "budget" mountain style rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a steal at PSA on those Vanguards!

The Marlin X/L/S 7 rifle is a great buy for those on a limited budget

You know JB keeps mentioning the TC Icon as does another friend of mine, you might want to try one out.

I think the Savage deal at CDNN is a safe bet as well.

So many good affordable rifles these days.

I don't know much about the ABolt III, in general A Bolt's don't get a lot of love on this site. I've owned a few A Bolt II's and known many friends that did as well, never seen one that wasn't accurate.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am surprised also by the 24HCF's lack of interest in the Browning ABolt III's at CDNN. Traded into a SS ABolt 300Wmg about 10 years ago that shot pretty good with what little time I put into it, and absolutley HATED the trigger. It went down the road PDQ...but this last minute short term extra pop in the discount on 270's is grinding on my reluctance against buying one of the Stalker closeouts...and of course it's all in the name of experimentation. At 6 3/4 lb's. it answers my complaint about the Howa's being too heavy too. We'll see what they got left in stock first thing manana, and go from there.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]
I'm having good luck with my tc venture in 308

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Went and reclaimed a nib Marlin XL 7 SS 270 I'd stashed that a friend of a friend had wanted and did'nt want to pay for it as fast as I did....that was going to be the funding for another brand in a 7mm of some sort to pair with the M70 XTR Mauser I picked up last fall. Adv'd the NIB Marlin on another site for a couple weeks and got no takers...so I'll scope it up and go from there Thanks all for the comments and input.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Of the current crop of econo rifles on the market, I favor the Marlin X7 / XS7 rifles. My real preference though is for used commercial mauser variants. There are plenty of sub $400 Zastava variants (Interarms MK X, Parker Hale, Charles Daly, etc) as well as FNs ( JC Higgins, Westernfield) and Husqvarna ( Check Simpsons Ltd).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by weagle
Of the current crop of econo rifles on the market, I favor the Marlin X7 / XS7 rifles. My real preference though is for used commercial mauser variants. There are plenty of sub $400 Zastava variants (Interarms MK X, Parker Hale, Charles Daly, etc) as well as FNs ( JC Higgins, Westernfield) and Husqvarna ( Check Simpsons Ltd).

I'm pretty sure that I get to Simpsons, LTD., in Galesburg, IL, more often than 99% of the people on this site and I would have a really hard time recommending that anyone buy from them without visiting the store and holding the firearm in question. Their website descriptions tend to be a little "inconsistent", in that you probably have less than a 50/50 chance of getting a firearm that is in sync with the website's description. That said, just like anyplace, there are occasionally firearms priced for less than their real value, but just like anyplace, those situations are typically few and far between.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marlin X7 HB 223 and Remington 783 243 are two that I own and like.

http://mysticprecision.com/2016/01/remington-783-the-best-donor-for-prsmag-fed-rifles/

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Oh. And it's guaranteed to shoot into an inch. Also has a 3 position safety like a winchester.

I am not a fan of 3 posistion safety. Like on or off. Why lock the bolt?

IC B3

D
dpd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Zerk
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
Palmetto State Armory has Weatherby Vanguards in stainless 30-06 for $400 shipped and blued for $350

Depends if you want Jap.

What is wrong with Japanese rifles other than racial bigotry?

Racial bigotry. But I prefer to support people in the country I live, for selfish reasons. Not like you can't find an affordable American gun.

As do I, so long as they make something that meets my requirements and tastes, which increasingly isn't the case with rifles made here, especially in the "affordable" class. MIMed and plastic action parts, cheap plastic magazines, etc, are unacceptable to me, so I don't buy stuff that have them. Some companies, Remington stands out, have consistently produced guns with serious quality and safety issues, and just don't seem to give a rat's ass about it. Ruger 77s are solid rifles with traditional features, and I've bought a couple recently, but they've edged out of the affordable class, except for internet close-outs. The Marlin X guns are decent, and if my money and opportunity align, I might pick one up, but they apparently fell victim to "not invented here" syndrome at the Freedom Group, who dumped them in favor of the Remmy crap specials. Honestly, I can't think of anything I like currently made here that retails for under $800, so in the affordable range, Howa/Vanguards and maybe Tikkas are what I look at. Haven't really checked out the Ventures, but the TC recalls, DMs and the lack of stainless models make them less attractive, the 5R barrels more so. One of those might happen in a moment of weakness.

Not directed at you, but it's funny how many decry foreign rifles, then slap Chinese or Japanese scopes on their American ones.

Leupold scopes have foreign glass in them. Japanese if I'm not mistaken. At least that's what the lady at Leupold told me.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Some binoculars have japanese glass. Not sure about scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 280win
[Linked Image]

I just bought the identical rifle today.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 280win
[Linked Image]

And with a $75 rebate going on them right now, they are a great deal.

B
B
Marlin X-7 rifle. I have 2 a 308 and 30-06 both are very accurate.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage or a Vanguard.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Oh. And it's guaranteed to shoot into an inch. Also has a 3 position safety like a winchester.

I am not a fan of 3 posistion safety. Like on or off. Why lock the bolt?

The bolt lock 'Safe' position keeps the bolt from partially opening if caught by brush, clothing or anything else, as can happen with the middle 'Safe' position. Prevents a 'click' when you are ready to fire.

That said, it is one of those things that is there to use or ignore, whichever you prefer.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
No contest...Buy a HOWA.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Agreed. Howa is the most for the least $

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Unalakleet_Yooper
Palmetto State Armory has Weatherby Vanguards in stainless 30-06 for $400 shipped and blued for $350

Depends if you want Jap.

We drive a Toyota and a Nissan, and I've had several Howas that shot quite well, and were built exceptionally well, too.Got no problem with the Japanese, they build quality stuff.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.