Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
The 'you-can't-know-if-you-haven't-tried-it' argument gets so stale and crusty.

Wellll, I'm old and stale and crusty...so that works!
laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Join the club!

Originally Posted by ingwe

laugh

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Then again, so does the "I'm an expert on all sorts of things I've never even tried" approach...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So many teenagers today would declare their cell phone does NOT affect their driving.

Is it just simple genetic stupidity....or a lack of experience (accidents)?

Does driving to work one day without an accident....prove texting is safe?

Can a non-texter declare it is not safe? What if they've heard of accidents caused by texting?

The wheels fell off with the TTSXs. I was at least hopeful that the 3950 fps velocity would compensate for the copper bullets but that didn't prove to be the case.If you ever have a pressing need for something to die somewhere else this is your bullet. Practically everything that wasn't spined or brained ran, and many that fell to the shot got up an ran.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Then again, so does the "I'm an expert on all sorts of things I've never even tried" approach...

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jstevens
I think when you shoot the TTSX, you don't aim for lung tissue, aim for bone, break down the structure. I've had very good luck with 100 TTSX in the .257

Also works well in the .257R, 3,250 fps over max charge of H100V.

DF

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by jstevens
I think when you shoot the TTSX, you don't aim for lung tissue, aim for bone, break down the structure. I've had very good luck with 100 TTSX in the .257

Also works well in the .257R, 3,250 fps over max charge of H100V.

DF

Amen! from the back row! wink

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Model70Guy,

Yep, as you say, "A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that."

I've seen it and done it with a bunch of bullets, including (gasp!) the dreaded Bergers, and even Federal "blue box" and Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo. My wife did it, very deliberately, with the heaviest-bodied Montana whitetail buck she's ever taken, using a .243 Winchester and a 100-grain Nosler Partition at a measly 2900 fps. The lousy Partition even went through both shoulders and the spine--and exited.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
..animals are in general sort of way made out of meat and meat-like substances. Since animals are killed by damage to the most immediately necessary bits, it stands to reason
that whatever does the most damage kills the fastest.

.257 or .375 well placed through the heart or brain of deer, those organs are going to stop working might fast regardless.

In the case of say substantially larger elephant hearts and brains .458 cal solids seem relatively minuscule and damage not that visually impressive.

size for size, .257 through a deers heart has a smaller ratio than .458 through an elephants.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There are more negative reports on the TSX line than all the other PREMIUM bullets combined. Where there is smoke....

My "sample of one" was using them on one trip to Africa that included 12 animals ranging from Cape Buffalo and Giraffe to Impala and Bushbuck... I'll never use them again and still wonder why they were for sale to begin with. I know a lot of really good men that swear by them. I swear at them and have earned the right to have my opinion about them.

Todd

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Model70Guy,

Yep, as you say, "A high shoulder will drop game in a heap, but the TTSX is far from the only bullet that will do that."

I've seen it and done it with a bunch of bullets, including (gasp!) the dreaded Bergers, and even Federal "blue box" and Remington Core-Lokt factory ammo. My wife did it, very deliberately, with the heaviest-bodied Montana whitetail buck she's ever taken, using a .243 Winchester and a 100-grain Nosler Partition at a measly 2900 fps. The lousy Partition even went through both shoulders and the spine--and exited.

Ain't that the truth. I'm sort of at the point of wanting the softest bullet I dare instead the hardest I can get. Heresy; I know. smile

My second rifle on this trip was a .300 win with a favorite load with the 190 Accubond LR, and a hastily camp developed one with the 210 Hunting VLD. Spectacular wound channels and exits were the norm, even on shoulder shots at close range.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

Well, I got ya beat by a couple of years, probably not with stale and crusty... laugh

Fast monos do mess up soft tissue.

High shoulder shots may produce faster DRT's, but here's how a 120 gr. TTSX impacted a 200# sow's heart. One caliber up from .257 (26 Nosler) and at 3,450 fps. This pig couldn't have been more DRT. I've posted this before but PB whacked it.

DF

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Justahunter
Barnes bullets are a funny subject. People that shoot them and don't like them really don't like them. People that shoot them and like them really really like them and are very sensitive about any negative that surrounds them. Almost like talking bad about their mothers.

I'm in the group that shot them on one Africa trip and was wondering why they were for sale to begin with..

Thanks for taking the time for the write up.

Todd

In my experience folks that hate Barnes haven't used them much...kinda like the guys that'll tell you a .223 is inadequate for deer, and have never used one on a deer....

FWIW Ive formed more than a few staunch opinions myself, based on a "sample of one"... wink

My girlfriend lunged a forkie whitetail a couple years ago. 223 with a Barnes bullet. Double trouble!

That buck ran a LONG way before falling over.

I've also seen long runs with the 80gr TTSX in a 25-06

Not the best bullet around, IMO.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A bullet that gets lost in the latest and greatest shuffle is the 87gn Hornady.
It was Roy E Weatherby's favorite and I used it on Fallow, goats and pigs in a .257 Weatherby and it did work very well.
Also tried it in my .25/06 and would definitely consider it for White Tail sized game.

In the Weatherby, I loaded it to 3800fps and in the '06, up to 3600fos in my 26" barrel.
JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Model70Guy,

I've seen quite a few animals killed with both Barnes X's, from the original to TTSX's, as well as Berger bullets. In my experience, hunters who THINK Barnes X's destroy a lot of tissue are amazed when they see the amount of internal-organ destruction caused by a Berger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The lack of a returning "WHOMP" is interesting to me. I have not noticed that on game with the mono's but have certainly noticed it on steel.

All you get is that unrewarding "tink."

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Model70Guy,

I've seen quite a few animals killed with both Barnes X's, from the original to TTSX's, as well as Berger bullets. In my experience, hunters who THINK Barnes X's destroy a lot of tissue are amazed when they see the amount of internal-organ destruction caused by a Berger.

Things like being able to look at a wound and see the sky on the other side? Or smacking a deer so hard that it looks like its snowing out? wink

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
The TTSX failures may be caused by them shedding petals when driven at that velocity. If that is the cast they basically become FMJ bullets.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Gatogrizz27
The TTSX failures may be caused by them shedding petals when driven at that velocity. If that is the cast they basically become FMJ bullets.

If I pretended that I found any, I could pretend that I knew what they looked like. wink. Many other TSXs that I have found were de-flowered though, and all of which were fired at lower velocity.

I've been trying for many years now to not to get wrapped up in what a bullet is "supposed" to look like, what it is supposed to weigh, measure, what member of the fungus family it should resemble or even what letter of the alphabet it might resemble if you squint just right. All I care about anymore is results.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting report. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Model70Guy,
...hunters who THINK Barnes X's destroy a lot of tissue are amazed when they see the amount of internal-organ destruction caused by a Berger.

Yep, those can be pretty messy at the skinning shed...

DF

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,616
Posts18,473,964
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.