Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
muleshoe,
All my Marlin levers, including my 39A, are older models and I share your dislike of the "side safety." However, that is an easy fix. The safety can be removed and replaced with a two piece gizmo that for all the world looks just like one of the screws in the receiver. I always found it interesting that Winchester never felt the need for a safety on the lever action 94/22 rifle, even when their centerfire lever models came equipped with the safety. Browning didn't butcher the lines of the little BL22 with one either.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Swampman1;

There should be a few of those 39As with 20" tubes and straight stocks at the Charlotte, NC gun show on Feb. 24. Just an FYI...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd heard they had a "fix" for the safety they stuck on both the 39A and the centerfire family of levers. Kinda funny how they stick those things in there then build a gizmo to hide it. Didn't Remington do the same thing for their wart looking J-lock?

Black Cows Matter!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Keep looking around and definatly buy a Marlin not a henry!! I just picked up a fairly beat up Golden 39 made in 1984 for $250. Its got some small rust freckles and stock is just ok, but I cleaned her up and she shoots great!! My 15yr old son don't know about it yet, but next time we shoot (if it ever gets above 10 degrees) I'll suprise him with it and not care if he dings it up. Be patient and keep looking.Deals can be found if you're not in a hurry.And to my thinking if I'm not looking for some "rare" collectors item condition don't matter too much as long as its basically sound and shoots straight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Main flaw with the 39 is poor gas handling, if a case head pops there is a straight path for gas and bits of brass down the sides of the firing pin to the shooter's eye. This is not just theory, there have been a few accidents, one boy lost an eye. Be sure to wear glasses .... which you should shooting any firearm anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My M39A has a small gas vent hole in the left side of the receiver to handle such a catastrophic case failure.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Swampman,
When you get ready to buy look me up. I have stuffed in the back of the safe an extra golden 39m from the late 70's thats in very good condition. I think its what you're after. My first rifle was a 39a from the same period and I buy em up when I see em.

Politicians and Diapers both need to be changed often, and for the same reason!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I may sell mine,39AS, had it all of 2 weeks and just dont like the feel of it,,,guess I am to used to lighter weight bolt actions

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
My M39A has a small gas vent hole in the left side of the receiver to handle such a catastrophic case failure.

Did you drill it yourself? I think the hammer pretty much covers the bolt and fireing pin.

Bob

one horn, I might be interested in a not too fancy 39M if you had a extra. Just a good shooter nothing that cant be taken out and used by my grandsons.Give a hollar.

IC B3

Some of them come like that. I dont know what year they started it . Maybe about the time of the C.B.S.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No, it's a factory thing. My rifle is a 1976 version.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Give me some feed-back on the Marlin 39!
Have owned 6, 94-22's Presently have a 94-22 Legacy with pistol grip and 24" barrel. My all-time favorite!
But all this talk of the 39, got me to thinking...I've never owned one! Might have to buy one for a comparison!
How's the micro-groove rifleing hold up? could a guy shoot it for a "lifetime" of rimfire fun?
The button saifty is a turn-off. From what I've read, these were inplemented about 1985. Is this about right?
Might have to start looking for an older gun (grin!)
Thanks! Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't belive no one has tried to "twist my arm" on the Marlin 39.
Guess this thred is just fizzeling out.
Most people seem to favor the Marlin.
Might have to give one a try!(grin!)
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you do a search you'll find out many, many, shooters and hunters favor the M39A. There just isn't much, if anything, to dislike about the Marlin. Buy one and you will not regret it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC,
I've got $400. "burning a hole in my pocket" and am thinking an investment in a quality 22 would be sound advice.
Anyone know of a Marlin pre saifty, for sale in Oregon???
Am thinking I would prefer a "mountie" but am open to the 39A with 24" barrel also.
Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
All my Marlin's are pre-safety guns, but I don't think it is really a huge deal about the safety. Somebody makes a little widget that replaces the safety and looks like a screw in the receiver. It actually works quite well. Keep on the lookout and eventually you'll find your M39. I know you'll enjoy the rifle, they are class acts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC,
Dose the newer 39, with the saifty have a half-cock notch in the hammer? Have read they have a "rebounding" hammer?
Need more info here!
Also, how 'bout that micro-groove rifeling? Dose it hold up over the long-run?
Thanks! Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 04/25/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My Marlin's are older models without the safety and have a half cock. Honestly, I haven't fiddled with a newer one in so long that I really cannot remember if the 39AS has a half cock or not. Regarding the micro-groove rifling, absolutely it "holds up." The M39 is one of the oldest rifles still being produced and are dead nutts reliable. Troubles are few and far between, and, usually easily fixed. Rimfire barrels don't get "shot out" like a high velocity centerfire barrel. They can be damaged or neglected, but with proper maintenance and care you just don't shoot out a quality .22 LR barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MOGC,
Thanks for the feed-back!
I'll start looking at gun shows, and pawn shops for a pre-saifty model. If I run out of patience, I'll go ahead and "spring" for a new one! (grin!)
Still would like to have the mountie, but once the "bug" bites, I might not settle for only one! (grin, again!)
Prolly have to call Sportsman's Warehouse tomarrow....
Virgil B.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,941
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.