Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There was a when I would have assumed this was satire, or the lead in to a joke.

Watson, notably, does concede that “while this policy might hinder the development of group skills and mastery of the class material,” those outcomes are ultimately a student’s “responsibility,” though he promises to “provide every opportunity for [students] to gain high level mastery.”

[Linked Image]

Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

• A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.
  • Similarly, students who feel stressed by "group dynamics" are allowed to walk away from their groups without explanation, and will only be graded on "non-group work."
  • The professor acknowledges that "this policy might hinder the development of group skills and mastery of the class material," but says this is each student's own responsibility.

A University of Georgia professor has adopted a “stress reduction policy” that will allow students to select their own grades if they “feel unduly stressed” by the ones they earned.

According to online course syllabi for two of Dr. Richard Watson’s fall business courses, he has introduced the policy because “emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences for all involved.”

As such, if students feel “unduly stressed by a grade for any assessable material or the overall course,” they can “email the instructor indicating what grade [they] think is appropriate, and it will be so changed” with “no explanation” being required.

“If in a group meeting, you feel stressed by your group’s dynamics, you should leave the meeting immediately and need offer no explanation to the group members,” the policy adds, saying such students can “discontinue all further group work” with their remaining grade being “based totally on non-group work.”

Similarly, when it comes to “tests and exams” for Watson’s “Data Management” and “Energy Informatics” courses, all will be “open book and open notes” and “designed to assess low level mastery of the course material.”

Finally, for in-class presentations, Watson will allow “only positive comments” to be made, while “comments designed to improve future presentations will be communicated by email.”

Watson, notably, does concede that “while this policy might hinder the development of group skills and mastery of the class material,” those outcomes are ultimately a student’s “responsibility,” though he promises to “provide every opportunity for [students] to gain high level mastery.”

Campus Reform reached out to Watson—a “Regents Professor” at the university, a title “bestowed by the Board of Regents on truly distinguished faculty”—but did not receive a response in time for publication.

From CAMPUSREFORM

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Great idea! When they graduate do they get to choose their own job offers and salaries?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been on the radio here in Atlanta. Unbelievable!

I see this and really think we must live in an alternate universe sometimes. This is the outgrowth of "being offended" by being called names and the creeping warped definition of sexual harassment. Anita Hill vs Clarence Thomas really thrust this into the spotlight 25 years ago. She was "offended" that Thomas joked that a 'fro hair on a Coke can looked like a pubic hair. From there, anything that "offends" was reason to attack any messeage you didn't like. "I'm offended" turned into "I'm not comfortable with that". you know what, maybe I'm not comfortable payingmy mortgage every month. Think Wells Fargo will let me slide? I'm not comfortable matching my employees FICA. Think the IRS is ok with that? Hell no they aren't ok with that.

Time to take the Hello Kitty underwear off of our college students and make them face the real world. Trouble is, they want make the real world like this - the corporate world, anyway.

I'm hoping this jackass Prof. gets so much heat for this that UGA makes a policy against such stuff. However, they've been so liberal at the Admin level for the last 20 years I have no faith in them. At least Georga Tech still does it right. "Everybody is taking calculus. No exceptions. Football players, baseketball players, everybody". Don't get to pick your greade either. God Bless engineers.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I was a student for a long time, I earned two master's degrees and a doctorate in engineering and mathematics. What I found to be an effective reducer of stress and test anxiety was to know what the hell I was talking about. Learn the GD material kids!

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Another example of college stupidity.. Son-flake stress relief..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in college in the '60's, we had our share of these nut case professors but they were normally in the general classes required of all students. They usually weren't found in the specialized classes pertaining to your major. Freshman English was notorious for nut jobs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by mathman
I was a student for a long time, I earned two master's degrees and a doctorate in engineering and mathematics. What I found to be an effective reducer of stress and test anxiety was to know what the hell I was talking about. Learn the GD material kids!

Ain't that the ever loving truth.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I though this was a joke.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
See how well that works when it comes time to pay off the student loans.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I though this was a joke.

Well actually it is....

Just like the Degree they will be awarded will end up being a joke...

Remember, this is the product of "Everyone gets a Trophy" Generation...

They hope to be enjoying their job when graduating where they can say at 10 AM...

" I'm going home now, I'm too stressed out.. and this having to work with other people
is really getting me down..."..... " plus I need to stop at Starbucks, as I could really use a Latte' "

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I was running a company ( use to do so, but now retired) there is no way I would recruit for employee candidates at that school.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
If I was running a company ( use to do so, but now retired) there is no way I would recruit for employee candidates at that school.

Schools get reputations. I know that's one of the things I check when a resume comes across my desk.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think of how well that grading policy would work when I taught paramedic classes.

And letting folks opt out of the practical exercises because they were too stressful.

GENIUS!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They might as well opt out of life if they can't handle it.

LOL
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A new engineer at wife's work must have came from that background, He couldn't grasp that 1/2" pvc pipe did not have a part number....Reality bites stupid people harder...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
These folks need to go to Hatari for some procedures with make-believe anesthetic. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
These folks need to go to Hatari for some procedures with make-believe anesthetic. ;-{>8

Rude dude! Want to help with that? I'm sure you can dig up some brotches and Hedstroms someplace in your drawers.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
His students are in for a rude awakening when they graduate and enter the current job market, otherwise known as the "real world". There are no safe rooms or trophies for everyone in the real world, just a chance to compete. I am thankful there were no professors like that at the UGA business school when I was there in the early eighties.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of my intents as a teacher/prof was to induce certain forms of stress in learning situations - very effective when applied properly. Maybe the polar opposite of this clown. Dealing with "stress" is an important aspect of a successful life and teachers do no favors for students by shielding them from it.

Did I care for and about students - yes, very much - and paid careful attention to insuring that they were treated well, and fairly, to the greatest possible extent. But, mastery of the subject is the driver and the goal. Reality can be very tough - coddling undermines intellectual growth.

As a grad student, it sometimes seemed productive (even enjoyable) to induce positive stress for colleagues, and and especially for profs.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 2UP, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,150
Posts18,523,363
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.