John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Wow. Like a Tikka but 3x more money!

Yep. Just like a Tikka. Just like one.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
What happened to all the Kimber owners saying the reason for all the complaints with Montana inaccuracy... is because "light rifles are hard to shoot".....?

I get what you're saying..... Of course, heavier are easier to shoot (all other parameters being the same). I do think the grip design of the Fieldcraft/NULA stock allows for a trigger pull that seems to effect the hold less than the more open grip of the Kimber. Also think the butt/cheeckpiece design of the FC allows for more contact and a more natural hold resulting in a steadier hold than the Kimber. But...this is just for me, stock fit and grip are personal. Long way of saying the FC is easier for me to shoot than the Montana...and I'm a fan of the Montana.

None of that really effects anything off of a bench. The problem isn't "light" rifles, the problem is crappy built guns. The reality is that Kimber has no quality control and assembles junk rifles.... with excellent components. And I like Montanas. I just find it funny that thread after thread is about Kimbers that don't shoot and everyone runs around saying it's because "light rifles are hard to shoot", yet no one has a problem getting the Barret to shoot. Quite the opposite, actually.

Probably close to a year ago in one of the hundreds of threads about Kimber issues, I posted that no one would have problems getting the Barret to shoot because they'll be assembled correctly.

Just reloaded for a friend's Kimber 8400 in 338WM with excess headspace. Bumped new WW brass to 35 caliber and sized it down to fit the chamber. Left the brass slightly tight just to ensure positive primer strikes.

The properly adjusted cartridges literally measured exactly (sheer fluke) .125" longer than SAAMI specs from shoulder to case head.

Kimber's response? Yawn!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Yea,with no plastic,and a pound lighter,but since that doesn't matter, just like any other rifle that will shoot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm in for a lefty, 2 depending on calibers. It would seem 8% of rifle shooters being southpaws is a little low. Best estimates are 10-12% for the general, but maybe those rifle shooters have adapted to righty guns. I have a couple right handed guns that I'm culling as left handers become more available.

Looking forward to Mule Deer's breakdown of the Fieldcraft in Rifle.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well The Barrett 7mm-08 is settling in nicely. Now if the old man behind would stay steady. This is a 5 shot group at [Linked Image]

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very nice! What load?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice shooting!
Tennessee - have you heard if a .280 (or ai) may be in the future?
If not, can you bend someone's ear!! :-)

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
its a 140 gr ballistic tip 46 gr h4350 not to fast

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I'm really liking the look of these rifles. Aesthetically for me I don't like the black bolt shroud and the safety. Can anyone that has handled one of these tell me what is the black stuff? Paint, cerakote? I'd blast the black to stainless if that's what's under there.

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've been looking at these rifles and wanting one since seeing them mentioned on here. I went back and forth between this, the Howa and Montana. The Barret seemed like the best of the class but of course was the most money. One thing I have learned through experience, is it's better to get what you really want instead of settling for less and ending up spending more in the long run.

Anyway, I ordered the Barret and picked it up Friday afternoon. I mounted a Bushnell LRHS yesterday and went to shoot it today. No dies yet, so I got two boxes of Horn eldM 140's. First two shots from a clean barrel went about 1/4". Got it zeroed in two or 3 more, set turrets and cleaned it. Next 3 were at 300 and went in 1 1/2". Next 3 went into 2". Both groups were fired quickly, not letting the barrel cool between shots. Looks like we got a shooter. I ran it all the way out to 1000 yards, and it shot way better than expected. Two shots at 500 were about 3" apart and two at 1000 were about 5" apart. Other than wind getting me sometimes, the vertical in that ammo was well below a minute, closer to 1/2. I would say a deer from 0-600 yards is in trouble. I was getting about 2625 fps according to my dope, which was 10 mils at 1k.

Overall, this rifle is more than I imagined. It is very handy and fits me perfectly. It shoots way better than a 5 lb rifle has a right to and is well worth the money.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Nice shooting!

280 is not on the list yet but ears will be bent....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Chiro
I'm really liking the look of these rifles. Aesthetically for me I don't like the black bolt shroud and the safety. Can anyone that has handled one of these tell me what is the black stuff? Paint, cerakote? I'd blast the black to stainless if that's what's under there.

The black finish is hard coat anodize. The part is 7075 aluminum alloy. Not advisable to blast it off. The best solution would be to Cerakote over the hardcoat to match the stainless if you really want it to match.

I'm making mine RED

Last edited by Tennessee; 09/03/17.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by Chiro

The black finish is hard coat anodize. The part is 7075 aluminum alloy. Not advisable to blast it off. The best solution would be to Cerakote over the hardcoat to match the stainless if you really want it to match.

I'm making mine RED

Thanks for that Tennessee much appreciated.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This rifle likes Sierra game kings as [Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Uhhhh are you being serious?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Nice shooting!

280 is not on the list yet but ears will be bent....

Sorry I didn't read the entire 21 pages. Is there a list of future calibers, or just what is currently on their website?

I sprang for one NULA in my life and this is about as close as it gets for a reasonable price.. and it's stainless.

------------------------
John
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
I'm in for a lefty, 2 depending on calibers. It would seem 8% of rifle shooters being southpaws is a little low. Best estimates are 10-12% for the general, but maybe those rifle shooters have adapted to righty guns. I have a couple right handed guns that I'm culling as left handers become more available.

Looking forward to Mule Deer's breakdown of the Fieldcraft in Rifle.

Like CharlieFoxtrot, I'm in for a lefty, likely 2, depending on calibers offered.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by starsky

Uhhhh are you being serious?

No..he's being stupid..

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Any lefty updates?

Page 25 of 31 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (10ring1, 160user, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,712
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.