Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Can't you follow the construction? In the pie chart slice removal process I took out the slices between the two that are left. So the two slices that are left aren't touching except at the tips.

GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Can't you follow the directions?

I don't care about a pie chart. Take to two pencil and puch them towards each other. Only way for the points to full touch is if lined up. Other wise point of one is touching part of point and side of other.

I've had a touch of math too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So you can't follow the construction.

As to math I've had more than a touch.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Zerk

I've had a touch of math too.

Should've paid attention for the geometry part.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by mathman

But I can follow directions.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

A psychology PhD would probably be more useful than your math PhD in this application... crazy

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

But I can follow directions.

Manufacturer supplied directions aren't always the best. For example, I've helped several posters improve their results when using the Lee collet neck sizing die. The first step in my instruction set is ignore the instructions supplied with the die.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
So what do you do different with the lee neck die?

I think you have mentioned this numerous times, so I'll bite. I use them for some stuff.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Look for a thread, in the reloading, big game section IIRC, called something like school me on the use of a sizing die.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Even if what you do works, or is even better, that doesn't mean that the instructions are wrong or don't work.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What it does mean is that in some circumstances the supplied instructions can be improved upon, and this applies to scope ring alignment rods as well.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I don't disagree things can be improved apon. But people are saying the instructions don't work for the rods. All along I have said both should work, and up to you to decide which is more visible for you.

A concern about using flats, could be one rod holding one off the ring. Have to make sure you slide them towards each other and not drop in.

As for lee neck sizing instructions. Yours may be accurate, but they are also alot more time consuming. Lee wrote their instructions to sell dies. They work for most people. If they put those instuctions in, many people would not use them, and would not buy another die. In comparrassion to the rods, each is about the same time and skill level, so the instructions are not watered down.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My instructions are only time consuming once, the first time you use a given type of brass in the die. After that the user just sets the die to where it was last time and goes to it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Even if what you do works, or is even better, that doesn't mean that the instructions are wrong or don't work.

So if someone like mathman is willing to show you the best way to do something, you're sticking with the instructions.

Brilliant.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Ya, but they are alot more time consuming then lee's. They would not sell alot of dies. So in this case you could argue the instructions are not as detailed. But that is not the case with the rods. I am sure there are other instructions where they don't want to take on liability with risky set up or one that requires you pay attention. Again not the case with the rods.

Usually when people come up with something better, it is usually easier. Yours may be more accurate, but I didn't know there was a problem in the first place. Now people shooting greater ranges than me, do all kinds of stuff I don't do. I like learning about it. But my range is only 100 yards. Last year with a chainsaw I was able to make a spot where I could shot 100 yards. I kinda like up close better. But I like being able to move around more. But that is neither here nor there.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by smokepole

So if someone like mathman is willing to show you the best way to do something, you're sticking with the instructions.

Brilliant.

For the sake of time yes.

I didn't think there was a need in the first place to change them. Are they better? People do somethings with more detail when it is required, and less when it is not. Same with scope alignment. I do it now. But for years, shooting at close range, it didn't matter.

Scope alignment is easy to do. Mathman's may produce a better product, but I am not sure they are worth the effort.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You seem to be missing what I said: My instructions are only more time consuming once per type of brass.

I don't think taking the time once to optimally adjust the die is a hardship.

It's similar to the FL die situation. The instructions supplied with them work, but they are not necessarily optimum for each particular chamber. So a meticulous handloader may take the time to learn how to adjust his FL die to suit each chamber for which he loads a given cartridge.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
You seem to be missing what I said: My instructions are only more time consuming once per type of brass.

e.

What makes you think I missed that?

Your instructions would not sell alot of dies. Because as I wrote they are more time consuming. May be better. Also a problem I didn't know existed.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/18/17.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

e.

What makes you think I missed that?

Your instructions would not sell alot of dies. May be better. Also a problem I didn't know existed.

You kept harping on the time consuming aspect. If you think the one time deal per brass type is too time consuming then I don't know what to tell you.

As to sales, I'm inclined to believe my instructions would sell more second, third and fourth sets of dies. I base this on the positive feedback I've received in the open and via private message about how following my instructions clarified things, cured problems, et cetera.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Also a problem I didn't know existed.

Yet, you feel like you're in a position to argue with a guy like mathman on the finer points of it.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (1_deuce, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 11point, 53 invisible), 2,557 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.