A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by akjeff
Hi Ed! So, would the good stuff be labeled EVSO(Extra Virgin Seal Oil)? smile
Jeff

Only if the seal had never had sex... duh!

Hi, Jeff! Yes, Art has it right. If it had already had sex, then it would simply be VSO. If that goes rancid, it is known as VSO-P (Virgin Seal Oil-Putrid) NOT to be confused with a decent brandy. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The seal oil I had was very clear so first rendering. I don't know how it had been cared for after rendering or how old it was. Maybe it was perfectly good and I just don't appreciate seal oil. I'd be up to trying it again especially with some dried fish or caribou.

Could have been oogruk (Bearded Seal) which is stronger flavored and more common. Could even have been Walrus, but I don't know anyone who renders that down for oil.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of things sounded wrong with what happened with that whale - not the least of which was the reporting. I don't recall anyone getting their undies in a wad when one was netted locally some years ago....and subsequently cut up and dispersed to grateful residents. Not sure if it was pay-back a few years after when another grey came to the same area and hauled another similar net out to deeper water 30 miles away or not... Kind of fun to watch the big red buoys go 'swimming' away though.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They net whales? That brings dipnetting to whole new level laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They net whales? That brings dipnetting to whole new level laugh

Belugas, yeah. The school kiddos even learn to tie whale nets. One of my favorite memories of my early years teaching was seeing an 'academically challenged' kid who had tied a net the previous year in his bicultural class learn to cut the whale it caught the next fall. As for what it takes to hold them, #72 twine is minimum for the web on a net specifically intended to hold small whales. The strength of even a near-dead beluga is pretty amazing when he's tangled in the lines of a salmon set-net which is tied to the rail of a 90 hp'ed skiff. I knew it wasn't going to end well when he headed for an anchored barge and the metal flukes of the prop were no match for flukes of flesh.

Dip-netting? Now that's an idea that I better not mention to my 16-year-old. Though he's presently recovering from a broken wrist which he suffered when he took a dive on his long board, I could just see him try riding a whale-powered 'jet ski'.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be awesome!

I assume you guys are still in Fairbanks based on the skate board injury. Do you get back to SMK during the summer to get some fish?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Were you able to get dip time Paul?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be awesome!

I assume you guys are still in Fairbanks based on the skate board injury. Do you get back to SMK during the summer to get some fish?

That son has become a permanent 'city resident', but I, and three boys drove into town at 7AM yesterday. Some fishing got done, though pinks were choking our efforts considerably...... when we weren't dealing with clean-up issues. A brother who last came up for a visit 29+ years ago was about the only bright spot in an otherwise dreary summer. That was a fine week.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Were you able to get dip time Paul?

I spent a day down on the Kasilof with a friend and brought home 21. It was slow fishing but I won't complain about having some fish in freezer.

So have you got your tractor yet?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Later this month.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 992 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.