Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ShakyHands
I wouldn't. The Tract Toric is at least as good for $650. It's a high quality, high performing glass made in Japan.

China or Japan ... almost no difference. The Japanese are only producing cheaper, lower quality copies of the EURO makers. It's all about the glass and the R&D. Sorry, but there are only three countries where they make a high-quality glass. Germany, Austria and Czech Republic (MeOpta). Everything else is cheap, low-end glass. Not sure about the US makers but my guess is that even the high-end glass is sourced from the Euro makers and their products are assembled here.

How does Kowa make one of the finest spotting scopes in the world then?

About 75% of your post proves you know zero about which you are talking about.

Agreed, Shaky does not know much at all about what he is talking about. Some of the best optics in the world
are made in Japan.

I will not give a lesson, on what models, as I don't think he would comprehend, and is someone with little
experience.

Welcome to the Fire, Shaky, but don't try to blow smoke out of your azz...!

How many posts like this before I put him on "ignore"? Let's give him a few. Maybe he's been drinking.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't. The Tract Toric is at least as good for $650. It's a high quality, high performing glass made in Japan.

China or Japan ... almost no difference. The Japanese are only producing cheaper, lower quality copies of the EURO makers. It's all about the glass and the R&D. Sorry, but there are only three countries where they make a high-quality glass. Germany, Austria and Czech Republic (MeOpta). Everything else is cheap, low-end glass. Not sure about the US makers but my guess is that even the high-end glass is sourced from the Euro makers and their products are assembled here.

You can insult all you want. Kowa is just another Japanese maker that that is copying the Euro glass. Maybe even sourcing the glass from them. I would compare it to Lexus in the car industry. Just an upgraded Toyota. No thanks

Why would I spend $3K+ on Kowa spotting scope when I can get the MeOpta S2 for way less and the quality of the glass is maybe even better.

Heck, I would even rather buy the Cabelas Euro spottings scope for $1800 which is close to half price of the Kowa and you get rebranded S2. If I'm spending over $3K, I can probably afford to buy Swaro, Zeiss etc.

Sorry, you will never see an upgraded Toyota in my garage or a Kowa spotting scope in my gear bag.

I don't consider it an insult when it's the truth. When you said, "China or Japan ... almost no difference", you revealed your lack of knowledge.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

Agreed, Shaky does not know much at all about what he is talking about. Some of the best optics in the world
are made in Japan.

I will not give a lesson, on what models, as I don't think he would comprehend, and is someone with little
experience.

Welcome to the Fire, Shaky, but don't try to blow smoke out of your azz...!

Sorry, just because you know that soybeans never recover from a setback, does not prove you know anything about optics...

You can save your lessons for those with even fewer optics clues than yourself (hardly a target-rich environment)...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cdb

You can insult all you want. Kowa is just another Japanese maker that that is copying the Euro glass. Maybe even sourcing the glass from them. I would compare it to Lexus in the car industry. Just an upgraded Toyota. No thanks

Why would I spend $3K+ on Kowa spotting scope when I can get the MeOpta S2 for way less and the quality of the glass is maybe even better.

Heck, I would even rather buy the Cabelas Euro spottings scope for $1800 which is close to half price of the Kowa and you get rebranded S2. If I'm spending over $3K, I can probably afford to buy Swaro, Zeiss etc.

Sorry, you will never see an upgraded Toyota in my garage or a Kowa spotting scope in my gear bag.

I don't consider it an insult when it's the truth. When you said, "China or Japan ... almost no difference", you revealed your lack of knowledge.

And you just showed your ass...

Specify what you want at a particular pricepoint in either and see what happens...

Things are different today from just a couple years ago.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The.Kowa 883 is a top notch spotter infact, after comparison I Sold my Swarovski and keep the Kowa. David Tubbs use Kowa spotters.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
The.Kowa 883 is a top notch spotter infact, after comparison I Sold my Swarovski and keep the Kowa. David Tubbs use Kowa spotters.

Say it ain't so!

Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Ringman

Say it ain't so!

It's definitely so!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by cdb

First of all, when I'm talking China or Japan almost no difference, I'm talking hunting optics and Nikon or Canon photo gear is something completely unrelated.

99% of the hunting optics made in Asia are low(er) quality products targeting the mass market and that one small boutique shop in Japan makes one decent product does not make them an optics experts. "one swallow does not a summer make"

After all, Kowa products are not even available at any local retailer (Idaho) and if Kowa (or March) was the chit, I'm sure at least Cabelas would carry it. Heck, Kowa doesn't even make or sell rifle scopes anymore. Didn't they use to make some cheap scopes? Well, maybe they stopped making them because they were junk.

So comparing Kowa, March etc to Zeiss, Swaro etc is like comparing Toyota & Porsche.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Is that why more high power rifle shooters use Kowa spotters than other brands. The Kowa 883 is as good as it gets.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
ShakyHands,

So comparing Kowa, March etc to Zeiss, Swaro etc is like comparing Toyota & Porsche.

Give me a break! I bought a Zeiss 5-25X50 the other day. It was not as good as my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 in bright light. In the low light test it punked out twelve minutes before the Bushnell! Don't try to convince me about the quality of Swarovski. I bought four z5 5-25X52s. None, and I can't say it loudly enough, NONE had glass as good as my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. That is with four different guys comparing them.

Have you had a March or a Kowa? Why would you compare a Toyota to a Porsche? One is a sedan and pickup and the other is a sports car.

Last edited by Ringman; 08/31/17.

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
ShakyHands,

Give me a break! I bought a Zeiss 5-25X50 the other day. It was not as good as my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 in bright light. In the low light test it punked out twelve minutes before the Bushnell! Don't try to convince me about the quality of Swarovski. I bought four z5 5-25X52s. None, and I can't say it loudly enough, NONE had glass as good as my Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50. That is with four different guys comparing them.

Have you had a March or a Kowa? Why would you compare a Toyota to a Porsche? One is a sedan and pickup and the other is a sports car.

You are the only [bleep] person on the face of the plant that says Bushnell glass is better than Swarovski.

As for the Zeiss, its japanese glass and not schott.

BTW Dipschitt, toyota makes sports cars and porsche also makes sedans..

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Is that why more high power rifle shooters use Kowa spotters than other brands. The Kowa 883 is as good as it gets.

The Kowa is a great spotter, but in my experience most lr shooter are either using the Night Force (rebranded meopta) or the STR which both have ranging reticles.

As for the rest of this debate, the Japanese do make some good optics. The problem is name recognition, its hard to buy a Kowa or a 2k set of nikons when you can actually buy Alpha glass for that money.

I've never looked through a set of tracts, but the other japanese/asian glass I've used as a general rule is no where as good as the top end stuff from leica, swaro. or zeiss. (that being said, I'm not a fan of a lot of the new zeiss. The HT's are good, but the new SF's are meh)

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
ShakyHands,

While Porsche does not make trucks, Porsche makes sedans and SUVs, just like Toyota.

To wrap it up, if you were to compare German glass to Japanese glass at the same price range, Germany would still win 99% so the only reason to buy Asian products is to save money while giving away some quality and the 1% of the population would buy some small boutique manufacturer items such as the Kowa spotting scope.

So go ahead and keep driving your Asian vehicles while I stick to my German cars.

Porsche sedan
[Linked Image]

Porsche SUV
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WRO

The Kowa is a great spotter, but in my experience most lr shooter are either using the Night Force (rebranded meopta) or the STR which both have ranging reticles.

As for the rest of this debate, the Japanese do make some good optics. The problem is name recognition, its hard to buy a Kowa or a 2k set of nikons when you can actually buy Alpha glass for that money.

I've never looked through a set of tracts, but the other japanese/asian glass I've used as a general rule is no where as good as the top end stuff from leica, swaro. or zeiss. (that being said, I'm not a fan of a lot of the new zeiss. The HT's are good, but the new SF's are meh)

There's a lot of truth in this, IMO, especially the consumer respect issue. After owning a Nikon 82ED, Kowa 884, and briefly a Zeiss 85FL T spotter, I've landed with the Meopta S2. I think it's the finest thing on the planet with the exception of the Swaro modulars, but I find $4000+ for this setup is ridiculous. That being said, the Kowa 883/884 gives up very, very little to either one, once again IMO.

The highest end Z,L, and Swaro binoculars are probably the best binoculars made, but you have to include the very Japanese Nikon EDG. It gives up nothing to any of them, but with Nikon's terrible marketing efforts, and borderline CS, I won't own one. Then again, with Leica's well earned schitty CS practices and pathetic warranties, I won't own one of them either. That's a shame because the old 10x42 Trinovid BA was probably my favorite binocular ever. As you and everyone else knows by now, Z and L both "make" some of the optics in Portugal, Japan, and even China nowadays. There are also Schott glass facilities in China if I'm not mistaken. If I were to put my Meopta 10x42 HD's, Swaro 10x50 SV's, Gold Ring HD's, and Toric UHD's on tripods, side by side in the field, I would not be able to see a big muley buck for instance, through one without being able to easily see it through any of the others. You can add the Vortex Razor HD and Conquest HD in there too.

While I may prefer the SV (it's my pick of the litter), the differences are "picking nits" nowadays.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/31/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It is a matter of preference, I picked the Kowa and sold my Swarovski. I'd never heard of Kowa until I was Read David Tubbs and that is what he was useing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
To wrap it up, if you were to compare German glass to Japanese glass at the same price range, Germany would still win 99%

What are you smoking? The Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 goes for less than $900. The cheapest I paid for one of the four Swarovski z5 5-25-50 was $1,350. The most was $1,575. The Zeiss was $1,100 on closeout. You don't know what you're talking about.

Everyday Hunter
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If I were to put my Meopta 10x42 HD's, Swaro 10x50 SV's, Gold Ring HD's, and Toric UHD's on tripods, side by side in the field, I would not be able to see a big muley buck for instance, through one without being able to easily see it through any of the others. You can add the Vortex Razor HD and Conquest HD in there too.

While I may prefer the SV (it's my pick of the litter), the differences are "picking nits" nowadays.

The SV's are my favorites by far.

I'd disagree on putting the Razors or the Conquests in the same class as the others listed, The razors IMHO have the worst pin cushioning/Distrotion on the edges I've seen in almost any model. I don't like the conquest glass at all.

I had the gold rings for a couple years, they did very well except for light transmission and low light.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WRO

I'd disagree on putting the Razors or the Conquests in the same class as the others listed, The razors IMHO have the worst pin cushioning/Distrotion on the edges I've seen in almost any model. I don't like the conquest glass at all.

I had the gold rings for a couple years, they did very well except for light transmission and low light.

No argument here. I'm not real "bird watcher picky", if you know what I mean. Looks like we agree 100% on the SV's and S2 though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Kowa TSN-883 Spotting Scope

Kowa TSN-883 Spotting ScopeThe TSN-880 series is the larger of the two newest scope lines from Kowa. We've reviewed scopes before. We've reviewed Kowa scopes before. We've never seen anything like this scope before! We received the angled fluorite model TSN-883 ("Prominar", for those of you familiar with Kowa terminology) for review from Kowa along with the TSN-773. These are 88- and 77-mm objective lens size scopes respectively. The TSN-773 will be reviewed in another article. First impressions mean a lot in this game, and the new TSN-883 makes a big one - the view through this optic is breath-taking and unbelievably bright and crisp. In short, we really liked it.

Physically, the TSN-883 is a very compact 13.5 inches long (without eyepiece) and weighs in at just over 3 lbs (53.6 oz.). For an objective this size, that weight is impressive - it's actually lighter than some 77-to-82-mm scopes on the market, thanks to its magnesium alloy casing. The body is fully sealed, nitrogen-purged and completely waterproof. So are the eyepieces! The eyepieces lock in place, with a push-button release mechanism. The lens hood pulls straight out, and as always, we recommend using it, if only to protect the objective lens from potential damage by scratching or whatever. Beyond a shallow double groove on the hood, the TSN-883 has no device to enable sighting.

When we reviewed the new Kowa scopes, we pulled out the best instruments from other manufacturers that we had in stock. While we won't tell you what the competitor models were (we still have friends at those companies…), we will say right out that the 883 and 773 blew away everything else in their class. By that we mean, these are simply the finest spotting scopes we’ve seen yet. It was a revelation in the field. The degree of detail visible was simply astounding with characteristics of feather wear so clear you would think you were staring at a museum specimen. The image brightness and clarity were riveting. We tried hard to find things wrong with these scopes, and it was really difficult to do. The image stays razor sharp right to the very edge of the field. There is no zone of blurriness, no distortion, no image-bending - nothing. We did note that at the very edge of the field on a bright, high contrast object, there was the slightest hint of color-fringing. So what? The effect is very minor, and very difficult to detect unless you’re looking specifically for it. It’s unlikely to affect a user in any way. Like we said, we had to work hard for this! The colors were absolutely true with no detectable bias. In failing light, the image was remarkably bright at 60x, delivering detail that wasn't even visible in other high end scope models we compared it to. The image quality is so high that it is difficult to write about without sounding like we're gushing.

The rest of the review can be found here, http://www.optics4birding.com/kowa-tsn-883-spotting-scope-review.aspx

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by WRO

No argument here. I'm not real "bird watcher picky", if you know what I mean. Looks like we agree 100% on the SV's and S2 though.

I'm not either, but I do like my glass to be clear from edge to edge, CA controlled, and colors to be right.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 3,393 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,608
Posts18,473,753
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.