Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Originally Posted by Nomosendero2
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Placing a prediction for Colorado/central rockys elk every year, batting .500 , I am.
With the September new moon @ the 20th , I'll wager early rutting activities with an earlier peak around the 4th of October and less vocal bulls by the end of muzzle loading season ~ 1st rifle.
Banking the wager (swag) on the September new moon intensifying the shorting days.

Since you are able to observe Elk alot I want to ask you about the effect of the full moon during the Elk Rut. My Wife has a either sex Elk tag for here in Arkansas, this will be Oct. 2-5 when the Full Moon will begin but hopefully still rutting.
I hunted in NM and WY. after the rut with a full moon and it was tough but was not sure how much of that was the Moon phase or previous pressure.
Thanks

I believe latitude could have a lot to do with the peak of rut. I should clarify the peak of first esturs and overlapping second esturs, I believe will be early then average. Assuming that overlapping time is what drives bulls totally crazy?
And only basing this on the shortening days vs the new moon, adding what might be wet fall if the Colorado trend continues.
No idea what the Arkansas elk will be doing as far as rut goes. Again my assumption is it will be earlier then your used to. Other then a full-moon does seem to effect feeding habits. In short, making it harder to catch elk moving through transition areas (feeding ~ bedding areas). Hunting the full moon in Arkansas, It's my guess you'll be finding, elk in heavy cover during shooting hours .

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, that is my concern, we have much more cover than open.We have much more timber/thickets. There are some fields along the Buffalo River, the Game Dept allows the Ranchers to use for hay if they no till drill food plots for Deer and Elk in early Sept. Most Elk are taken close to or in those fields but the full Moon concerns me. I will say we had those conditions last year and a friend shot a nice Bull in one of those fields. Also, last year it was 90 degrees, we hope for a cool snap.

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go