Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 on The Poobs, he's shot my little 303 too, also informed me that what I thought was drool on my rifle indeed WAS not. eek shocked

laugh

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
10-4 Jorge, I'm also well aware of all the big game the Scandinavians and Canadians slayed with the little 303, just wondering what to top out on in Africa, I have no doubt it will dispatch plains game up to Kudu and Sable, kinda wondering if it's enough of a hammer for Eland, Zebra and Wildebeest and such, those critters are tough as a boot heel and all have nice trophy fees attached, much different scenario than a native busting a bull moose with the luxury of tracking till found.

Pick your distances wisely and consider the terrain. Doubles are "up close" tools in my book, under 100 yards.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, would hunt the little double in the low bush where shots would more likely than not less than 50 yards, even though WhelenNut pulled up and rang 100 yard steel with both barrels, embarrassing when someone shoots your rifle better than you do. blush

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's got no class!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by hatari
10-4 Jorge, I'm also well aware of all the big game the Scandinavians and Canadians slayed with the little 303, just wondering what to top out on in Africa, I have no doubt it will dispatch plains game up to Kudu and Sable, kinda wondering if it's enough of a hammer for Eland, Zebra and Wildebeest and such, those critters are tough as a boot heel and all have nice trophy fees attached, much different scenario than a native busting a bull moose with the luxury of tracking till found.

Pick your distances wisely and consider the terrain. Doubles are "up close" tools in my book, under 100 yards.

Wisdom...

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Ingwe hunted extensively with the 303, maybe he'll see this thread and chime in,

Shortly after his service in the Boer War wasn't it?

Guy

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAAHAHAHAHAHA! laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
He's got no class!

Who?

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's got no class!

Who?

Whelannut for upstaging you with your own gun. He could have pulled a shot or two just to make you look good. wink

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
He's got no class!

Who?

Whelannut for upstaging you with your own gun. He could have pulled a shot or two just to make you look good. wink

Dat dudes cooler than liquid nitrogen! grin

Trump Won!
IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just recently I shoot a buffalo in Tanzania a little to far back and once in the rear as he ran off with my .400 H&H bolt action. He ran into the thickest, nastiest thornbush around. After waiting a while the trackers went in mostly on their hands and knees not to see the track but to try and see the buffalo ahead under the brush with the PH and I following. He took off in front of us once but we only heard him. Some 20 minutes later he charged from maybe from 20 yards, the PH hit him twice with his .577 double and I shot twice but apparently hit only once in the chest ( skinnners later found the 400 gr solid in his rear hip. Then he hit me high high on the thigh as I turned, fortunately I managed to hold onto the rifle as I landed on my back. He then went at the PH who was reloading his double while trying to keep a tree between him and the bull, both trackers were up the tree yelling "Piga, Piga" Shoot, Shoot. I then managed a shot while on my back that hit him in the jaw he then came back at me littererly stepping on my legs when I shot him in the neck. The PH now runs over shoots him in the forehead with the muzzle of his barrels about 6 inchs away. Two things, I got two shots off with a bolt pretty fast as he came in and I would never have been able to break open a double, pull two cartridges from my belt and reload laying on my back so in my case I was really glad to have 4 rounds and pretty pissed that I had not put 4 down in the magazine and one in the chamber.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, glad you came out ok! You should write a magazine article! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hidalgo
Just recently I shoot a buffalo in Tanzania a little to far back and once in the rear as he ran off with my .400 H&H bolt action. He ran into the thickest, nastiest thornbush around. After waiting a while the trackers went in mostly on their hands and knees not to see the track but to try and see the buffalo ahead under the brush with the PH and I following. He took off in front of us once but we only heard him. Some 20 minutes later he charged from maybe from 20 yards, the PH hit him twice with his .577 double and I shot twice but apparently hit only once in the chest ( skinnners later found the 400 gr solid in his rear hip. Then he hit me high high on the thigh as I turned, fortunately I managed to hold onto the rifle as I landed on my back. He then went at the PH who was reloading his double while trying to keep a tree between him and the bull, both trackers were up the tree yelling "Piga, Piga" Shoot, Shoot. I then managed a shot while on my back that hit him in the jaw he then came back at me littererly stepping on my legs when I shot him in the neck. The PH now runs over shoots him in the forehead with the muzzle of his barrels about 6 inchs away. Two things, I got two shots off with a bolt pretty fast as he came in and I would never have been able to break open a double, pull two cartridges from my belt and reload laying on my back so in my case I was really glad to have 4 rounds and pretty pissed that I had not put 4 down in the magazine and one in the chamber.

That would be more than enough excitement for me! Glad you and everyone else came out of that okay.

Guy

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
That buffalo was pretty sick from the 5 or 6 bullets that were in him when he got to me otherwise it would have been bad. When the trackers pulled me out from under the buffalo and started pulling up my shirt and pant legs I just started thinking I really don't want to go to a hospital in Tanzania. Fortunately most of the blood on me was from the buffalo. When my wife showed up with the game scout she was a little put out that they did not leave me under the buffalo so she could get a good picture. Not sure what that means. I've read about how only a hit to the CNS will shut one down and I think that's true but when that head is bobbing and ducking trees or maybe deciding on targets it's really hard to hit!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too much excitement! Makes for a good story.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
You guys got me thinking I HAVE to take that little 303 Brit double to Africa someday, wondering what 215 grains of Woodleigh Weldcore at 2175 fps will or wont handle?

I've only been once, hoping some of the experienced hands can guide me on what it is suitable to use on, that being said, and no BS at all, accurate hits to 200 yards are very doable from a good rest with the second leaf flipped up. smile

I used a farm kids Lee-Enfield 303 215 Woodleigh on an wildebeest. Dropped him, stumbled to get up, then sagged and died. Point of shoulder shot. Don't know what the bullet looked like..

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I started to post a while back but think I thought better of it ... certainly I don't have a ton of expertise regarding doubles. However, in my early teens I owned a very nice .303 double which came to me via my mom's father. My father was convinced since it wasn't a bolt action '06 like his it wasn't worth owning and convinced me to sell it. Somewhere someone has a very nice rifle. In the case with it was a telegram sent during WW II. The rifle was hand carried from England to Alaska for delivery. I guess that means it was worth something. I shot it a little out behind the house. My folks were afraid it would be seen and we'd be robbed. I also had a .450 double under-lever hammer gun. I'm not sure now if it was for the 3" or 3-1/4" case but I lean towards 3-1/4". It had wickedly deep rifling. I never fired it. In those days we were scared spitless of Damascus barrels. There was a bunch of ammo in a cloth sack which was loaded with cordite and used soft lead bullets with a sort of copper rivet in the middle.

I wish I still had them both ... or either one.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Zengela
You guys got me thinking I HAVE to take that little 303 Brit double to Africa someday, wondering what 215 grains of Woodleigh Weldcore at 2175 fps will or wont handle?

I've only been once, hoping some of the experienced hands can guide me on what it is suitable to use on, that being said, and no BS at all, accurate hits to 200 yards are very doable from a good rest with the second leaf flipped up. smile

I used a farm kids Lee-Enfield 303 215 Woodleigh on an wildebeest. Dropped him, stumbled to get up, then sagged and died. Point of shoulder shot. Don't know what the bullet looked like..

Great news, did you not see the bullet because you weren't at the skinning shed, or better yet because it exited?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I started to post a while back but think I thought better of it ... certainly I don't have a ton of expertise regarding doubles. However, in my early teens I owned a very nice .303 double which came to me via my mom's father. My father was convinced since it wasn't a bolt action '06 like his it wasn't worth owning and convinced me to sell it. Somewhere someone has a very nice rifle. In the case with it was a telegram sent during WW II. The rifle was hand carried from England to Alaska for delivery. I guess that means it was worth something. I shot it a little out behind the house. My folks were afraid it would be seen and we'd be robbed. I also had a .450 double under-lever hammer gun. I'm not sure now if it was for the 3" or 3-1/4" case but I lean towards 3-1/4". It had wickedly deep rifling. I never fired it. In those days we were scared spitless of Damascus barrels. There was a bunch of ammo in a cloth sack which was loaded with cordite and used soft lead bullets with a sort of copper rivet in the middle.

I wish I still had them both ... or either one.

Tom

Damn sick

Trump Won!
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Zengela

Great news, did you not see the bullet because you weren't at the skinning shed, or better yet because it exited?

I wasn't at the skinning shed. It did not exit.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,944
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.