-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using my hunting backpack but it's shot and its time to upgrade. I like the looks of the Eberlestock F1 and the Bull Pac.
I think if the Bull Pac frame had the Eberlestock shoulder straps and belt, it'd be a winner. Bull Pac has the open frame plus the eyelets to tie and lash on. I gotta find something. So..... What are you guys using? Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My current rig:

Eberlestock F1, with roll top dry bag from kifaru, add a gun bearer and you have a very light and versatile system.

You're right about the critique on the shoulder straps. But those can be replaced.

mainframe pack weighs 4 lb 5 oz, roll top dry (55L) bag is 6.2 oz, gun bearer is 4.2 oz

All in you have a set up that is 5 pounds, before you put stuff in it.

The bull pac starts at 5 lb 7oz, definitely heavier.

I have tried several packs, including the basic kelty cache hauler/ freighter pack. That one weighs 6 lb 1 oz.

If money is not a consideration then buy yourself a kifaru platform, add a cargo panel or cargo net...and you won't be disappointed.

I tried on a Tenzing CF13, and loaded it with weight....did not feel like a winner especially with $840 price tag.

No clue about Kuiu, have heard from hunting buddies both good and bad. Bad was fit, good was strength for weight.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been using the Kelty Cache frame as my load hauler/training pack. I've had 100lbs of salt and minerals on it and no issues......with the pack, legs were another story.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I use the F1 Mainframe Eberlestock pack. I've packed about 65 pounds of meat and gear several miles over steep, rocky timbered country with no complaints.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been happy with my barneys frame for hauling moose and elk out. This year I'll used kifaru tactical frame with a cargo pocket.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have/use one of the original Bull pacs. Its comfortable for me. The biggest load I hauled was a large bodied mule deer out of the mountains, completely boned out. I've also used it on 20 plus mile backpacking trips with no complaints, I have an old Boy Scout pack bag that fits it like it was made for the thing.
I can't comment on the Eberlestock F1, but I have the little X2 pack. Good pack but the shoulder straps don't fit me right.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
I've been happy with my barneys frame for hauling moose and elk out. This year I'll used kifaru tactical frame with a cargo pocket.

+1 this is what I would use for a meat hauler!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/991454/badlands-ox-backpack-frame-realtree-xtra-camo-medium

Midway has the Badlands Ox frame on sale right now for $138 bucks. It's a tank for just hauling loads, Just comes in abit heavy.
Good luck with whatever you choose

Last edited by Jedi_Swagger; 07/30/17.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I upgraded to a Cabela's Alaskan Outfitter earlier this year, It'll do all I need.

I hope to have a report after the season.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Scott
I've been using the Kelty Cache frame as my load hauler

+1 but I think they quit making them.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

FZY Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one of the Kelty frames from Sportsman's Warehouse a couple of weeks ago. They still show available on the website.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...ail/Freighter-Frames/prod72545/cat100861

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Great reviews on the Barneys, M1 and Kelly. I was scrolling on YouTube and found the Slumber Jack Rail Frame. Says it'll hold 200 lbs... Ain't no way in hell this hillbilly could haul 200lbs but it's a well thought out frame with load lifters.
Lots of frame choices out there with plenty of options.

Whatever I get, I've got to make sure it'll fit my 13 year old son comfortably laugh ... He's closing in on 6' tall and 180 lbs.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Kifaru hunting frame with the Cargo panel. Pricey but worth it.

Retired and loving it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another Kifaru fan here. For me, they fit very well and make hauling heavy loads as comfortable as is possible. American made so they cost a little more, but worth it in the long run.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, me too. G2 Longhunter guide here.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bull Pack. Have always thought the shoulder straps were plenty comfortable for me. Sturdy frame, easy to secure the load tight with all the hooks/tie down points on the frame. Works for me, but I only use it for hauling meat off the mountain.

Leftybolt

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
dana designs

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used the Cabelas Alaskan for many years as a dedicated meat hauler but a heavy load convinced me it was time for a change. Tha last 2 years I've used the Wilderness Specialties composite frame and a couple of different pack combinations. Properly adjusted it handles heavy loads much better for me than the Cabelas model. I was using the Eberlestock X2 as a daypack and first quarter out pack but now go with just go with WP frame and pack only when elk hunting

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a G2 Longhunter standard and an Eberlestock J34; both great packs. Between the two, the Kifaru handles heavier loads a little better but both packs are a bit heavy for day packs. For this year's 3rd season CO elk hunt I'm going with an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe and will be using their batwings and or their spike camp duffel. I also got their zip in J-type dry bag. Since last year's hunt, I've developed a lower back problem so, I'm having to go with a lighter pack. I like the versatility of my J34 and particularly how fits so I decided to try the F1.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.