Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Judman
Winch would be a must...

A winch is a must for any 4 wheeler or SXS, under normal conditions. I have been thinking of adding one to my sled.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never seen a tracked UTV compared to a snowmobile. How does the track surface compare in acreage? I suspect that getting one stuck could be a nightmare although a UTV is more likely to have a winch aboard.

Have you rode a fracked machine in the snow? I'm not talking about hill climbing and doing 70 mph across a field. Cruising roads with too much snow for a truck to drive on looking for tracks, glassing etc....

Don't have a track kit, but looked into them some, so my thoughts for what they're worth:

You'll never see 70 mph on a tracked ATV or UTV. The tracks take a lot more power to run than tires. The installation adapters change the final drive ratios considerably - you'll turn a 70mph atv into about a 40 mph machine on bare ground, more or less, slower in snow. Don't know the exact ratio/top end changes. Spent some time talking to one of the track kit manufacturer reps at Harrisburg show last spring. Supposedly you can run in deep snow, but a lot slower than a snowmobile. The better kits are atv size and engine displacement specific - so you can go down to smaller 300-450 cc atvs, but they will be the slowest on tracks.

Lots of videos on youtube showing tracked atv and utv in snow, mud, rocks, etc. Looks like they are a big improvement on soft ground, swamps, muskeg, etc. (much lower ground pressure than tires). Seems like the tracks would be ideal for changing conditions where you run from bare ground to snow during a trip - that would be the real advantage over snowmobiles. They do not look they'll climb in steep snow covered terrain as well as a mountain or deep snow type snowmobiles. Some tracks can have a harder time crossing obstacles like logs that a machine with tires can "bump" over.

Now, I've experienced larger tracked vehicles that perform very well in deep snow. We had the Army's M-973 Small Unit Support Vehicle (SUSV) when I was at FT Greely in Alaska. http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m973_susv.php I've stepped out of one of those and sunk to my waist in snow that the vehicle was only sinking in a few inches. If the ATV/UTV track kits get the effective ground pressure down into the same range (around 1.8 psi) they should work well in deep snow. afterthough - 1.8 psi seems high, you probably should look to get below 1 psi

So, a little summary of what I've gleaned:
Track kits are expensive.
Tracks are much slower in snow than snowmachines.
Tracks will reduce gas mileage a lot.
Tracks are much better than tires on soft ground like muskeg, flooded ground, mud, anything you would break thru with tires and bottom out.
Tracks are about the only system if you're going to encounter both bare ground and deep snow on same trip.
The all season track kits available work fine on rocks, gravel, dirt whatever year round, but cost a lot more and take more maintenance than tires.
Check the manufacturer's info for ground pressure.

Last edited by MikeL2; 08/19/17.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you want something that will go anywhere, look at the new off road machine the Russians have developed and yes, you to can have one for the great price of $65,000

Last edited by coyote268; 08/21/17.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Good info, thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The dogs would love this.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha that's badass!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
The dogs would love this.

[Linked Image]
Our van has front wheel drive. Is that kit reversable?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (10Glocks, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 75 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,961
Posts18,480,521
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.