Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would give a guy a gimpy walk.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thirty years and more ago there were very few trailers and RV's at the rally. Today there seem to be more RV's and trailers than bikes at times. Some surely do have problems that cause them to trailer in but it isn't the majority. The majority are not motorcyclists in the true sense of the word. They are people who own a Harley or Indian, not people who ride a Harley or Indian. Nothing wrong with it of course just the way people live these days.

Lewie's just out of Lead is the place to get a great cheeseburger but........ not during the rally.

Now that the Chip is a town with their own sales tax and government they are pulling in lots of events like the motorcycle racing to add to the activities.

My biggest gripe with the bikers who come is that for some reason fifty of them at a stop sign think they are one vehicle. When one goes they all go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'74 was my first year of going.
There has always been a lot of trailers and camper/motor homes/buses there. People just can not take enough time off of work to ride there and back unless you live in the mid west.
In '81 I was living in El Paso TX. Myself and a friend had one week vacation and we rode. Three days riding each way didn't leave much time in the Black hills. It was a great ride and glad I did it but after that the bikes went in a trailer and we took turns driving the 18 hours to get there.

I miss the good old days when I-90 and US 212 were littered with Harley and British parts. There was a different colored saddlebag lid every few miles. Chrome mirrors, foot pegs, coil and battery covers sparkling in the sun. With no GPS we always knew we were going the right way.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My experience with motorcycles ended when I outgrew dirt bikes.
But talking to a friend, I was told there's 5 or 6 hundred thousand bikes there. I thought I'd seen all of Sturgis. Where in the name of God do they put everybody?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sold my Harley years ago when my first kid was born. I miss the machine a lot, but not the ass holes on the road.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stantdm
My biggest gripe with the bikers who come is that for some reason fifty of them at a stop sign think they are one vehicle. When one goes they all go.

Just an observation, but I have had way more bikes pull out in front of me, than I have ever accidently pulled out in front of. But I am probably a little more cognizant of motorcycles than most. Even being very defensive and aware, I had to brake hard on more than one occasion.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I ever bring a bike to Sturgis, it will NOT be during rally time. I understand the roads in the Black Hills have some adventurous sections, but I'll be darned if I'm going to wreck my tires with a thousand miles of superslab, plus the bugs, plus the heat, plus the rain, plus not being able to ride for all the slowpokes in my way.
I'll just trailer my rice rocket -- or spaghetti streak -- and rifles and enjoy "normal" South Dakota conditions.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Huntz

Hey, those were Harley flip flops.
Touche! laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Imagine a line going from the space between the big toe and second toe, and running back to the outside edge of the heelbone; everything outside of that line was ground off. If I can find the pic I'll post it.

(urp) Please don't - I wanna eat supper some time tonight.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Official traffic counts released. 2017 up 1.1% from the 460k 2016 Rally. 2016 was one of the smallest on record going back 30 years.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
2016 had 460K? Doubtful.. Methinks that's wishful thinking on their part..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been there many times. I've endured the rally whilst on a H-D a number times and I don't care to do that again. I really enjoy the area and the riding but the influx of people sucks. Even as I get older I'd rather trailer my dirtbike down there and ride trails with the locals. It is such a beautiful and enjoyable area off-season.
I might bring the kid there when he gets old enough (if antifa hasn't shut it down) for the experience but I don't personally like dealing with all of the arswholes. I've seen one or two skun out and dead on the highway because that was the first curve they encountered. Colors can be a problem in areas as well. No thank you.

I don't mean to leave a negative view of the place as I think almost everyone should experience it at least once. I'd just rather grab my t-shirt and run then enjoy the beautiful area outside of those two weeks. I spent close to a week down there in July of this year with the family and shot a truck load of PD's to boot.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
[quote=CRS]
But one thing about the Rapid City/Stugis area is the very real probability of near-daily storms in the afternoon - many with hail in 'em. And the hail there can easily be big enough to knock yer azz right off the saddle.. IIRC, that bad storm that hit the Throttle a few years ago had cars stopping on I-90 to allow bikers to get in the back seats out of the hail.. Also, IIRC, one or two died in that storm.. Tennis-ball-sized hail can do that to ya.. eek

Thankfully the big stuff missed rally week this year. Monday, the 14th, Rapid City had 1.5" of rain, very strong winds, and big ass hail which did a lot of damage. As an aside the Rushmore Mall shopping center got flooded. Not the kind of weather to wish on bikers or sportscar enthusiasts for that matter.

And I agree that the temps were the coolest in memory for the Rally. I've been here since '94.

-=[Bob]=-
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A 6 page Sturgis thread and not one picture.... ?
Good grief.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2016 had 460K? Doubtful.. Methinks that's wishful thinking on their part..

I do not know, but 2016 was way down. I will let the eggspurts do all the calculating. Do not know how much politics is involved with manipulating numbers.

Just reporting what was on the news last night. confused You know we can trust the news. wink

Last edited by CRS; 08/16/17.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have ridden Harley Davidson motorcycles for 40 years. I have never understood the advantage of "laying her down."
Does it help you steer? How about braking? I DIDN'T think so.
WTF

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Myself, I would go there for the Rally. While it is pretty I have rode many rural locations. I went to see everything.

Never was burdened. Got a beer faster than most busy bars around here. One time waited to gas up, but not that happens. If you are smart, you just gas up on out skirts.

I quit going to FTS. I just park on outskirts of town, a block or two away.

Like seeing all the different bikes. I am not a people person. Hate cities. I usually don't go to busy places. But it was worth it to watch.

Only problem I had was drivng through Sturgis, so I quit doing that. Last time stayed in Deadwood. Busy, but not as busy.

If you are smart enough learn the streets, and where to go for what, it is not bad. Granted, many people don't want to do that. But Sturgs is a small town.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by whelennut
I have ridden Harley Davidson motorcycles for 40 years. I have never understood the advantage of "laying her down."
Does it help you steer? How about braking? I DIDN'T think so.
WTF

One time, interstate, I found it better than going over the wall into 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. But I get the arguement, not about steering, but shedding as much speed, for as long as you can. Braking is why you should not lay it down.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by Huntz
I never once trailered a bike to Sturgis or any other run.What a bunch of [bleep].
Oh, really?? And you're in need of some education my friend..

We always rode ours out every year, but the wife cannot do long trips any more. About 250 miles is her limit - and we're 675 from the campground. She can't take 4 extra days off work to drive to/from - so (ergo) the trailer..

Usually trailering is done for (a) health reasons or (2) time constraints..

I would just do something else. Go some place closer. Trailering just doesn't interest me.

I would start with full dresser, then a good seat. Take lots of breaks 250 mile limit, and 675 from campground. So 6 days of travel, if you take week off you get 9. But I getting up early, and lots of breaks would probably go a long way.

If you can sit in a car, you should be able to sit on touring seat.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I wonder how many people would attend if no trailers and motorhome were allowed? I bet it wouldn't be so crowded. I do understand that riding in a South Dakota thunderstorm is an acquired taste.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (anothergun, 6MMWASP, BB3, ar33c9, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,522
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.