Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to have an FR-8 rifle in 308. It had the original, step tapered, 18" barrel. I installed a Timney trigger. I had mounted the barreled action in a Fajen Midnight laminated stock with a Pachmayer triple magnum recoil pad (because it was on sale CHEAP)cut at 12.75" length of pull. I had cut the bolt handle off and had it tig welded back on at a 90° angle and had the rifle drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I mounted a Tasco Pronghorn 2x7x32 scope on it. That rifle shot 44gr of Varget and 150gr Ballistic tips into nice 3/4" groups. Apparently no misses were built into that rifle because everything it was ever pointed at simply died. No muss, no fuss. I lost that rifle in a canoeing accident 10 years ago.

I went several years without a 308 and I felt the loss deeply. I finally got a Savage 10 in 243 and replaced the barrel with a 308 a couple of years ago. Somehow or another I just can't love this rifle. It shoots ok, but it just doesn't have that certain something. I don't know if it's a balance issue or if it's because I put a fair amount of sweat into that old rifle or if it's the tupperware stock or what. I wonder if I "need" to drop it into a new stock, work on the balance, maybe chop the barrel......
Where would you start on a project to just put the "magic" into it?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
GB1

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Your work adds magic to what is there already. If it doesn't have some to start with, the added magic doesn't stick.

smile

Bruce

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The FR-8 was a Mauser. That's where the magic lies.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only Savage bolt-rifle I have played with that seemed to have some magic to it is my first-year M-1920 in 250-3000.

And it has a mini-mauser action. I think okie john hit the nail on the head.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd start by selling the Salvage...

P.D. I thought I'd beat Steelhead to it. smile

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I've often wondered if the blood sweat and tears of the SOLDIER who once carried that rifle had anything to do with it.

Stupidity is expensive
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some folks just look at a rifle as another tool. To me, they all have to have some kind of "appeal" to start off, or I don't want it. Even a synthetic stock stainless rifle ( for foul weather hunts ,etc.) can have the right appeal if certain things are done to it, especially if it is a bonafide shooter. Even a "showpiece" can be handled/maintained properly during a hunt, if a man "cares about it". I have seen many guys who may as well drag it behind their 4 wheeler to their hunt, never wipe it off with even an oily rag,etc. I used to "quietly/unobserved" look at a mans rifle when I was younger. I could tell right off who was likely to be a good rifleman by the state his weapon was in. Sure, many killed their game with rusty, beat up pieces, but many couldn't hit a paper plate 3 times in a row at 100yds either! No, I think one's rifle ( and "especially") his pistol should have some "magic" in it. Just my .02.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I own 4 Savage rifles. All are bone stock and they are my most accurate rifles. I completely understand what you mean by magic. As much as I like my Savage rifles, I don't think there's any amount of money I could spend on them to make them magic.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The "magic" is getting out and using them for the intended purpose, whether it is off the shelf or one you put time into. You call it magic, I call it memories.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me, these hunting rifles are beaten up pretty well. I just couldn't spend big money on a showpiece and then use it like it gets used . I do chop barrels though and like compacts.
..even have a BLR takedown with a shortened barrel and is very handy...just unpretty these days

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe all you need to do is install a Timney trigger, mount the barreled action in a Fajen Midnight laminated stock with a Pachmayer triple magnum recoil pad, chop the barrel to 18" and put a good scope on it. Then go forth and kill things with it. I find that having a good history with a rifle makes it's own magic. My Ruger All Weather Hawkeye 338 Federal is like that. There's nothing special about it as it's all stock except for installing an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring. The first year I had it I killed a nice buck and a moose with it. Now it seems that rifle "sees" more deer than my others.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some guns will call my name, and others won't. Don't understand why.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There are magic rifles out there waiting to ge bought, or built. Obviously, for you, Savage isn't one of them. Go to a big gunstore and handle some stuff. Maybe one will jump out at you. Mausers do it for me, and pre-64s, and falling blocks. Got a new AR, but not sure if it's gonna stick yet. A new Grendel bolt-rifle is in the pipe,and I hope it's magic as the cartridge has great appeal.

Of the stock on hand, my Ruger Hawkeye Predator is the one that speaks loudest to me. Nothing fancy about it, but it just works so well and the trigger seems to release with a thought.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang.this makes me wish I'd actually turned an FR8 I got in late '90s into a Scout rifle as intended. But couldn't adjust the sights to the bullets impact and I lost interest.

Finally doubled my investment at a gunshow 10 years ago. Dude gave me $200 for it.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My first hunting rifle is a Remington 700 Classic in 30-06, with a 22 inch barrel. I really don't care for a Remington 700 in general, Ive always liked a pre-64 Model 70 or Mauser 98 better. This rifle is particularly ugly, the stock is plain and boring, except for numerous dings and scratches. The metal isn't terrible, but there is some blueing worn off the barrel from riding in a pickup's gun rack and the bolt is turning purple. There is also a bit of roughness on the outside of the barrel from getting left in a gun case a few days after a rainy spring black bear hunt. It's ugly, and i'd probably not give it a second look in a used gun rack, but for me it is the most magical rifle I own. My dad traded an old prewar Model 70 in 270 for it and two others just like it at the Sportsmans Ski Haus back in the early 80's. It is responsible for taking three first bucks in my family, along with my dads best mule deer buck. The rifle looks a bit out of place surrounded by nice rifles, but it has definitely earned a place in my safe, and would be among the last I would ever sell.

Last edited by ismith; 08/20/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The magic is not in the rifle, it's in the elk steaks it produces.

You haven't killed something magical with it, yet.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i own a fr8 still in it's original configeration. the 8'ths had the wwII mauser action, lot stronger than the fr6 i think it was with WWI recievers.
i think it's a pretty cool rifle. They were made sort of as a stop gap until the cetme was developed.
got a cool round rear sight too, and a compartment for stuff under the barrel. The curved bayonet is pretty sweet too.
It reminds me of the idea of a scout rifle.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know that a savage would ever live up to my expectations, just something about the action. Personally I would find a kimber montana in 308 or rebarrel one to 308.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got a bad case of the hot running wants on a Howa light weight carbine in 6.5 Grendel. I handled a standard Howa today and liked it. I'd like to handle the carbine. Especially with a scope mounted.

I've thought about a new fr-8 but I'm just not sure if the magic would be there.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sako's, pre-64 model 70's, and Kleinguenther's have that magic to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.