Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use small, fast, light and soft bullets for small, fast, light and soft animals.

Use big, slow, heavy and hard bullets for big, slow, heavy and hard animals. laugh

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Use small, fast, light and soft bullets for small, fast, light and soft animals.

Use big, slow, heavy and hard bullets for big, slow, heavy and hard animals. laugh

So brown bears are biggish, fastish, heavyish, and softish... how now?

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jwall
Work cannot be performed without energy. Can't be done.

>>edited today to add>> I Can't believe someone ELSE said THAT ^^^^^

I'm in bed now, tomorrow I'll post an answer from one of our members who also knows math & physics.
Abbreviated paraphrase for now. It takes Energy Transfer and Momentum to accomplish what we need/ look for
in efficiently killing an animal.

Those SAME things (energy transfer & momentum) are integral using archery, even tho the FPE numbers aren't close.

Good Night for now. Back tomorrow.

Okay - now is 'tomorrow' from last night. Please read ALL of the following quotes. The 'following' comes from "ASK the Gunwirters" forum, Killing versus Stopping thread--- P 29.

Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
[quote=jwp475]

A bullet impact is an inelastic collision, energy is not conserved, momentum is conserved. In an elastic collision both energy and momentum is conserved. This is fact not theory. [quote=jwp475]

This is correct regarding collisions,[/b] but it is important to note that although kinetic energy is not conserved in inelastic collisions, there is still an energy transfer from one object to another. In fact, an object can only have measurable momentum if it also has kinetic energy.[b] When you mentioned that a wound channel is produced by direct applied force, this is indirectly saying that there is an energy transfer, since change in kinetic energy is equal to the force applied, integrated over the displacement of the tissue. Likewise, the change in momentum of the tissue is equal to the force applied, integrated over the time of interaction.

[/b]So there is no question that when a bullet strikes, there is a transfer of momentum, kinetic energy, and that there is a force applied which is responsible for these changes in the tissue.[b] I think the reason that so many of us have become hyper-sensitive to the mere mention of the word "energy", is because of all the focus and emphasis that for decades was placed on energy as a metric of killing effectiveness, using distorted mechanisms and quantified thresholds. [/b]People used kinetic energy all wrong in trying to determine killing power, and now we can't stand when somebody brings it up.[b]Kind of like our reaction to an over-played song coming on the radio (even if we liked the song when it was originally released).

Excellent points, gentlemen. It's apparent you both paid attention in physics class.

M70 Guy -- We are correct ! I have known for a long time that E is 'integral' to accomplish work-- but didn't have the math/physics background to express it accurately.

THANKS Again to "Jordan Smith"

The analogy of 'arrows' killing to 'bullets' is actually Apples/Oranges

Simply consider the looks of 'bullets', NOW consider the looks of hunting 'arrows heads'. IF bullets were shaped like arrow heads' and could be propelled fast enuff to produce a reasonable trajectory, they would NOT have to weigh AS MUCH to kill dramatically. The diff is NOT in K E, it is in SHAPE and SHARPNESS of the projectile.

Jerry

Ok. How many "ft-lbs energy" do you need to kill a deer or elk? And with that number, what does the wound look like?

Last edited by Formidilosus; 08/22/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Formid. You either missed the point or were not looking.

Jordan stated it quite well that FPE has been used all wrong as a killing indicator.

THE point is E is essential (integral) to accomplish work !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Work cannot be performed without energy. Can't be done.

It's like it never ends....

There is not a legit DOD, DOJ, or medical entirety that deals with terminal ballistics that lists, measures, or even cares about "ft-lbs energy". It is a number that people who are ignorant about terminal ballistics try to use. NO matter how many "ft-lbs energy" a bullet has, it still tells you absolutely nothing about what that bullet will do in tissue.

Best example of this is a full metal jacket bullet vs an expanding bullet of the same mass and same velocity (= same energy). Which will kill faster, excluding CNS hits?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Formid. You either missed the point or were not looking.

Jordan stated it quite well that FPE has been used all wrong as a killing indicator.

THE point is E is essential (integral) to accomplish work !

Jerry

I get the "point" exactly. When people bring up "energy" they are focusing on a thing that tells them absolutely nothing. If knowing a bullet has a certain amount of "ft-lbs energy" won't tell me anything about what that bullet will do in tissue, why bring it up?

Yes, energy is a mathematical fact... It's also a useless number for anyone to focus on as it doesn't tell anyone a single thing about what that bullet will do in tissue.

However, knowing that "X" bullet at 1,700fps impact velocity will penetrate 21 inches, have a 1.5 inch neck length, have a max temporary cavity of 7.8 inches, a TC that is 11 inches long, with the max TC at 9 inches DOES tell you something.

Knowing the "ft-lbs energy" does not in anyway tell you the above.

Again, people that are ignorant of terminal ballistics talk "energy". People that understand wound ballistics talk "placement, depth, width, and shape".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've never given this wound channel stuff a single thought in the 45 yrs I've been hunting big game. I guess I figured out that simply using partitions, accubonds, interbonds, interlokts, or the later version BT's told me everything I needed to know, i.e they kill the schittt outa game.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I posed the question of "Foot pounds of Energy" some years ago and "Mule Deer's" response was elegant in it's simplicity,

to paraphrase,

"Animals die, not from foot pounds of energy but from broken body parts"

Another way to say it, place a decent bullet properly and things go well enough.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I've never given this wound channel stuff a single thought in the 45 yrs I've been hunting big game. I guess I figured out that simply using partitions, accubonds, interbonds, interlokts, or the later version BT's told me everything I needed to know, i.e they kill the schittt outa game.

That's true. I'm sure that you know this (which is why you use them), but all of those bullets produce similar wound characteristics. Some penetrate a bit deeper, some a bit wider, but all similar.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With cup and core bullets I suggest twice the Foot Pounds Energy as the animal weighs. I. E. 750 pounds needs 1500 pounds at impact.

My suggestions are not for " long range" shots. ( over 500 yards) I have no experience.

Sectional density should be .25 for elk. As in 165 grain 30 caliber.

What I still do not understand is if FPE is so inaccurate to refer to why is I it so published and calculated in reloading manuals?
Further more why is it so bad to share and recommend such easily documented indices of a kinetic energy based projectile?

Is some one trying to re invent the wheel? Is this based on kidney stone removal data?

Why would I make this recommendation? In case one encounters a point blank shot, or a raking shot.

If one is disciplined to wait for the perfect harvest scenario by all means shoot just exactly what you rehearse.

But also please don't tread on me because I may suggest " overkill".

The monolithic bullet will behave differently, Terminal Ballistic Research web sight or some excellent studies posted here will also help you make informed decisions.

From what I have gathered you need roughly 2000 fps at impact with a monolithic to get it to expand. A study posted here showed a 130 grain 30 caliber will penetrate very well even at point blank on bovine femur ( stifle) joint.

Hope this helps.

Gather wood where you may ,we all feed the same fire.

Last edited by Angus1895; 08/22/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Forget energy, get the best of all worlds, use a heavy stout bullet your rifle will shoot well in an appropriate cartridge and get speed AND massive penetration, win/win.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
With cup and core bullets I suggest twice the Foot Pounds Energy as the animal weighs. I. E. 750 pounds needs 1500 pounds at impact.

My suggestions are not for " long range" shots. ( over 500 yards) I have no experience.

Sectional density should be .25 for elk. As in 165 grain 30 caliber.

What I still do not understand is if FPE is so inaccurate to refer to why is I it so published and calculated in reloading manuals?
Further more why is it so bad to share and recommend such easily documented indices of a kinetic energy based projectile?

Is some one trying to re invent the wheel? Is this based on kidney stone removal data?

Why would I make this recommendation? In case one encounters a point blank shot, or a raking shot.

If one is disciplined to wait for the perfect harvest scenario by all means shoot just exactly what you rehearse.

But also please don't tread on me because I may suggest " overkill".

The monolithic bullet will behave differently, Terminal Ballistic Research web sight or some excellent studies posted here will also help you make informed decisions.

From what I have gathered you need roughly 2000 fps at impact with a monolithic to get it to expand. A study posted here showed a 130 grain 30 caliber will penetrate very well even at point blank on bovine femur ( stifle) joint.

Hope this helps.

Gather wood where you may ,we all feed the same fire.

And if you get it dry enough even bullshit burns! wink

Reread what Formidulosis wrote... FPE does not measure anything of value in determining whether the bullet will kill effectively.

Consider E=MC2 (cannot figure out symbols on this tablet)
Velocity is squared and weighs in far heavier on Energy than Mass... yet a rather sedate heavy bullet will usually go very deep...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Forget energy, get the best of all worlds, use a heavy stout bullet your rifle will shoot well in an appropriate cartridge and get speed AND massive penetration, win/win.

Imagine, some folks like to eat what they shoot!

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by las
Dead is dead. ght.

I've always thought this is a poor arguement. I prefer dead nearby, to dead a mile away the next day. Of course, some with say, its dead and doesn't know the difference.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by gunner500

Imagine, some folks like to eat what they shoot!

Ya, and stout bullets aint grenades, but you already knew that!

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Depends on range and impact vol.....in theory ,but I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference if you killed 100 head with each bullet..

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree it don't predict exact harvest ability, but it certainly can get pretty close. Not on the positive side ( harvest success.....but on the negative. Harvest failure) especially at point blank raking shots.

. Also FPE can be measured. Therefore it can be discussed, and it can be suggested.

So show me please where my above suggestions would not work using a hunting style bullet.

On thin skinned smaller game there are lots of harvest instances where frangebile lighter bullets will do devastating damage and effective harvest.

There was a deer hunting forum post yesterday with excellent necropsy photos of a .223 at 300 yards WOW!

Terminal Ballistic Research touts frangebile light bullets for thin skinned game with proper shot selection.

But what's your point?

Energy equals mass time velocity squared. Divided in half.

What are the units used?

They are all in the same equation? Why?

It is like FPE is a measurement that considers both bullet mass I E ability to penetrate, And ability to mushroom, open up, work, or drive through tissue.....velocity. It does not consider shot placement, but where does a higher FPE measurement using a hunting style bullet make the round less effective? Unless it is using an extreme of one indice or the other exclusively to get the higher value.

So as long as the sectional density requirement is met, therefore keeping projectile mass within reason, and taking into account smaller calibers can penetrate using less mass, FPE will then be an easy way to compare potiential effectiveness between calibers. Not so much to predict success at the rehearsed range, but to prevent harvest failure due to cartridge performance at non conventional harvest events.

Just remember monolithics may need to be more velocity driven, so sectional density should drop with in reason. I think near 4000 fps things get funky....not to mention barrel damage. But just armchair reading research there, I have no practical experience at those speeds.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So there is little reason in my mind to not use a strong cartridge that is up to the task, even for point blank raking shots.

This is my point of view, and I love to hunt elk in the bugle season, so I think a lot about close range point blank harvest events.

Why is momentum not published in reloading data?

What are the units of measurement for momentum?

Just my thoughts?

How about frangibility?

Thanks

Last edited by Angus1895; 08/22/17.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I agree it don't predict exact harvest ability, but it certainly can get pretty close. Not on the positive side ( harvest success.....but on the negative. Harvest failure) especially at point blank raking shots.

. Also FPE can be measured. Therefore it can be discussed, and it can be suggested.

So show me please where my above suggestions would not work using a hunting style bullet.

On thin skinned smaller game there are lots of harvest instances where frangebile lighter bullets will do devastating damage and effective harvest.

There was a deer hunting forum post yesterday with excellent necropsy photos of a .223 at 300 yards WOW!

Terminal Ballistic Research touts frangebile light bullets for thin skinned game with proper shot selection.

But what's your point?

Energy equals mass time velocity squared. Divided in half.

What are the units used?

They are all in the same equation? Why?

It is like FPE is a measurement that considers both bullet mass I E ability to penetrate, And ability to mushroom, open up, work, or drive through tissue.....velocity. It does not consider shot placement, but where does a higher FPE measurement using a hunting style bullet make the round less effective? Unless it is using an extreme of one indice or the other exclusively to get the higher value.

So as long as the sectional density requirement is met, therefore keeping projectile mass within reason, and taking into account smaller calibers can penetrate using less mass, FPE will then be an easy way to compare potiential effectiveness between calibers. Not so much to predict success at the rehearsed range, but to prevent harvest failure due to cartridge performance at non conventional harvest events.

Just remember monolithics may need to be more velocity driven, so sectional density should drop with in reason. I think near 4000 fps things get funky....not to mention barrel damage. But just armchair reading research there, I have no practical experience at those speeds.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. So there is little reason in my mind to not use a strong cartridge that is up to the task, even for point blank raking shots.

This is my point of view, and I love to hunt elk in the bugle season, so I think a lot about close range point blank harvest events.

Why is momentum not published in reloading data?

What are the units of measurement for momentum?

Just my thoughts?

How about frangibility?

Thanks

Just WOW!!!

Sorry, but your failure to understand very basic Physics precludes taking the time to go over everything you do not get.

There is no "divided in half" in Einstein's equation.

All of these requirements you imagine exist, don't.

E has nothing to do with ability to penetrate as examples exist in every direction of inverse correlations between E and penetration, proving it is not a critical variable in every case.

E is what you are trying to mean, FP is simply the metric.

"Strong cartridge" is a pretty strange description in a Physics argument...

Your grasp of monolithics is monumental in its tenuous underpinnings...

Actually, are you visiting in Oregon and smoking someones stash?

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
[quot
There is no "divided in half" in Einstein's equation.

?

Kenetic energy is 1/2*mass* velocity squared.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/23/17.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Actually, are you visiting in Oregon and smoking someones stash?

Ketamine.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,132
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.