Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I want to get a digital scale to go along with my used beam scale I just bought. Here are 3 scales from the $20 range to just over $100. I have no idea what makes the difference other than price. Any input would be appreciated. I have heard complaints of the Frankfort Arsenal $20 scale. An old guy told me his would reset to sleep mode before he could trickle to the weight he wanted. The price isn't so much of an issue,but I don't want to buy one just because it costs more.

Here's the 3 in question.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/438260/hornady-gs-1500-electronic-powder-scale-1500-grain-capacity

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/340674/hornady-lock-n-load-bench-scale-electronic-powder-scale

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...r-scale-2000-grain-capacity-110-220-volt

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the top one on your list. It works but is a pain in the rear. I weigh my charges 4 or 5 times to make sure they are what I am wanting. For some reason the weight fluctuates and I can't figure out why. So I weigh, take off shake and weigh again and so on. Like I said it works but its a pain in the butt when you want it to be perfect. If I am weighing say 52.5 grains, sometimes i'll get 52.5 then i look down and its 52.7 then look again and its 52.4 so before I finish my load I weigh weigh weigh. Sometime even turn off and back on and recalibrate and weigh. Might be too much work for some. For me its ok smile
Hope that helps

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have had several digital scales, two RCBS and a couple of less recognizable brand names. All had problems, mainly needing to be recalibrated during a loading session, didn't feel they were trustworthy. I now have an Ohaus 10-10, a classic and one of the finest in my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Save yourself more grief and get one of these..I've had Lyman,RCBS and some off brands all junk IMO...Jewelers use these for a reason..

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I wish I hadn't wasted money on a beam scale. I would never buy a beam scale, if I had it to do over. Buy a RCBS Chargemaster combo. I have a GemPro250 digital scale to check the Chargemaster, but haven't had any issues with the Chargemaster.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by N2TRKYS
I wish I hadn't wasted money on a beam scale. I would never buy a beam scale, if I had it to do over. Buy a RCBS Chargemaster combo. I have a GemPro250 digital scale to check the Chargemaster, but haven't had any issues with the Chargemaster.

^^^ My situation exactly. If you don't want a Chargemaster combo, just get the scale portion.

Chargemaster 1500

I have an RCBS/Ohaus scale that hasn't been out of its box in years.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Save yourself more grief and get one of these..I've had Lyman,RCBS and some off brands all junk IMO...Jewelers use these for a reason..

[Linked Image]

First I've ever seen of one of those. I spent a small amount of time checking it out online. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! That seems to be exactly what I am wanting. My goal is precision over speed every time. In fact I am not really concerned with volume produced at all. i would much rather produce 20 perfect rounds in a session. I am only reloading right now to tweek my rifle's performance and shoot the bullets I want.

What do you think about the 250 model compared to the 500? Where is the best place to buy one so that I know I'm not getting a fake and will make sure to get the warranty? I mostly saw the 250 for sale. Does the 500 model come with a lifetime warranty as well? I plan on getting one,either 250 or 500 very soon?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/18/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought mine from Fleabay about three yrs ago but the price has come down since then..They presently have the 500 listed for $ 139.80 and the model 250 for about $ 10 less...I would imagine the 250 is just as good as the 500 and of the same high quality but I need the 500 for big 45 cal bullets .They are well worth the investment you won't be disappointed !

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I tried a Lyman similar to the one pictured above. Darn think kept trying to kill me.

I went back to a beam scale and powder measure and threw that Lyman POS in the garbage.

At some point I may try the Chargemaster combo.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm about to buy a new model, the PACT is probably the highest rated by shooters on about 10 sites...informal polling.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well,I'm back to square one or more research. Guess I need to research that PACT.

Looking into the Gempro 250,it seems that it is great, until it isn't ,which happens fairly often.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Pact is about the same price as the Chargemaster 1500 I linked above, and they both weigh to within 1/10 grain. What is the advantage of the Pact?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by NVhntr
The Pact is about the same price as the Chargemaster 1500 I linked above, and they both weigh to within 1/10 grain. What is the advantage of the Pact?

No idea yet. It was just a suggestion by Bwana1 that I said I needed to check into.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pact is made in Texas. I've had one over 15 years. They used to make RCBS scales for them. I've sent mine back for repairs several times over the years. Repairs are cheap and fast. All things electronic are going to need to be fixed sooner or later. I now use a charge master, pact and a RCBS 2000. CM for rifles. Electronic scale under a Harrell powder measure for pistols. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Pact is made in Texas. I've had one over 15 years. They used to make RCBS scales for them. I've sent mine back for repairs several times over the years. Repairs are cheap and fast. All things electronic are going to need to be fixed sooner or later. I now use a charge master, pact and a RCBS 2000. CM for rifles. Electronic scale under a Harrell powder measure for pistols. Hasbeen

I see that the previous discontinued Pact BBKII scale was American made. I don't see anywhere on the Pact site that the current Digital Precision Powder Scale is American made. The description doesn't even say what the capacity of the scale is.

Pact Digital Scale

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried several consumer type electronic scales years ago(Dillon, Pact, etc..) and found them to be overly sensitive, flaky, POS. Finally ponied up for an Acculab via Sinclair, but Acculab has since gone out of business. It's still a great scale. Just make sure you, your bench, and scale are at the same potential. Also the usual caveats, no fans, drafts, etc...

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I see that the previous discontinued Pact BBKII scale was American made. I don't see anywhere on the Pact site that the current Digital Precision Powder Scale is American made. The description doesn't even say what the capacity of the scale is.

Pact Digital Scale

Can't say for sure now where they are made. They have a phone number, give them a call. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.