Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Unbelievable

If your interested

1) Single piece mounts like LaRue and ADM where there is a vertical protrusion from the base that contacts the scope tube from underneath. The two ring halves clamp onto that protrusion on the bottom and are then tensioned on the top

2) Symmetrically split separate ring halves like those on Warne rings. These come in two varieties: permanent attach and QD. With permanent attach, the two screws that tighten the rings onto the rail can potentially be loosened/opened when the top screws are tightened (that is what the Youtube video someone linked above showed). With QD set-up there is a separate clamp that grabs the rail, so with those, tightening the top screws is not going to effect how well the ring grabs the rail.

3) Asymmetrically split two piece rings like Vortex Viper. With these, one side of the ring and the bottom form a single unit. The ring clamp is separate and is not affected by any of the screws that are used to secure the scope. With these, you tighten the bottom two scews all the way and then secure the top two screws

4) Vertically hinged symmetrically split one piece mount made by Aero Precision. WIth this one, the ring halves hinge together at the top and you tighten these at the bottom, so you have two screws per ring.

Obviously, all of these can be susceptible to out of round ring halves which can apply assymetric pressure to the scope. I can definitely attest to that happening with the Type 4. I bought several of these on sale a while back since I was intrigued by their light weight. Half were out of round, so I had to lap them lightly. Once set up, they seem to stay put and the scope stayed zeroed. They do no return to zero well if removed, but they are light cheap and stay put after installation.

I have seen out of round Type 2 rings as well (I have a lot of mileage with Warne rings), but my take on these is largely the same: I try to not use them for tracking tests, but once set-up they stay zeroed. I have seen a couple of "out of round" 1" and 30mm models.

With Type 1, you can have a sort of a unique problem where the scope slides a little with respect to he base, since the bottom of the rings clamps onto the base of the mount, rather than onto the scope. These were all "set and forget" types.

With Type 3 (Vortex Viper), it sounds like they should work fine if they are not out of round, but no experience here

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Zerk
Also a problem I didn't know existed.

Yet, you feel like you're in a position to argue with a guy like mathman on the finer points of it.

What I am saying, is I have been using the factory method, and so far so good. There will always be people who go farther and like to modifying things. I am often one of them. But since this is working so far, I can't see an advantage. Someday after many reloads maybe I will think I should have done it different.

So yes I think if people were reading the instructions on line, they may not buy it. If they read anothe set of instructions with a couple of turns and done, they would buy that one. Maybe after using it, they would feel different. But people are not going to buy the harder one to use. Yes I know it is easy enough to do. But just turn the die is easier. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.

But since it has been working fine for me, I do feel that is acceptable to have an opinion. Why is he the only one allowed to have an opinion?

I suspect his is better, but since the factory is working, it can't be completely wrong.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/18/17.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well this thread took a turn.....

Zerk,

You aren't wrong for having an opinion and nobody is arguing that the points weren't intended to be used. However, some of us have found that alignment rod flats show certain lines and angles better than two round points. Keep using whatever method works for you, I don't think anyone here would have a problem with that.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Zerk,

You aren't wrong for having an opinion and nobody is arguing that the points weren't intended to be used. However, some of us have found that alignment rod flats show certain lines and angles better than two round points. Keep using whatever method works for you, I don't think anyone here would have a problem with that.

We wouldn't...

Zerk's problem transcends rings and alignment rods; those are but a symptom... whistle

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What often gets people into trouble is not knowing what they don't know. I've been there myself.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yep.

Being deceived is to not know that you don't know. Double negatives can make a positive, you think you know.

If you don't know and know you don't know, you may ask and seek.

That sounds almost Biblical.

DF

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Zerk,

This is pretty much what I said. Use what ever way you can see better. I believe it has to be lined up from either direction.

What makes me stupid, is saying the traditional way of using the points, will work.

Oh, and yes people will have problem if you use the points. They will say you are dumb or retarded. So yes, they will have a problem.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
What makes me stupid, is saying the traditional way of using the points, will work.

Those are your words. And it is not saying the points will work...it's the fact that we are at 8 pages now and you will not let it go...even when someone offfers you an olive branch...giving you an out.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
No, we are at a stalemate. I believe either way will work. Some do not.

Last edited by Zerk; 08/19/17.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Stalemate...because you will not let it go? Does it matter what other people do? Do you feel the NEED to bring people around to your way of thinking...have to be right?

IC B3

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
I am not trying to bring people around. We are not here for that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If that be the case, you could have stopped posting on the subject after your second post.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1Longbow, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,678
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.