Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
These in green. Sierra Trading post had them for $119 last spring, I bought a 2nd pair in brown to put back for when the green ones wear out.

https://www.rei.com/product/881783/salomon-quest-4d-ii-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Kenetrek Mountain Extreme and Irish Setter Elk Trekers for me lately

I quit Lowa and Danner

I ran Danners for 15 years when I went to get a new pair I thought they were crappy.

Just received my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes from MIDWAYUSA and the free gaiters they are giving with the Kenetrek's. They look good and I hope they last a few years!

Ted
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Early Danners were good, the last pair I had were American made East Ridge (I think) Switched to Mendl Ultralights and have been happy with them. I'm hard on boots, bought the first pair of Mendl's in 2013 and finally threw them out a month ago-almost no tread left, torn in several places but still waterproof. I average over 8 miles a day, in 2016 I put over 1,700 miles on them (mostly at work and the rest largely on a mix of asphalt and fairly easy terrain).

They made a mule deer hunting to Wyo in 2013 and an elk hunting run again in 2014, if there is anything to complain about with them is they may be a little soft soled under a heavy load but traction and ankle support worked well for me. I guess the best thing I could say is that I bought them again.

Golden............
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had 2 pairs of the Meindl Perfekt Hunters in the past year and both pair went back due to the rand separating. The first pair saw moderate use while the second pair I lived in for 2 months this summer and probably logged 200-300 miles in them over some nasty terrain. I won't be buying them again.

I also have a pair of Asolos and those have been working out well. A pair of Crispi's is in order before hunting season as I need something with insulation for fall.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For years I used Danner Canadians for western style hunting. Great boots as are the other made in the USA Danners. The over seas made ones are junk, however. Last year I bought a set of Meindl Alaskans. I really like them once I through the crappy cork insoles in the trash. They are a little stiffer than the Danners l, but not overly so. If the weather gets really cold and snowy and im on a horse I use Schneee pack boots. For ice fishing or stand hunting I use the white colored mil surp bunny boots made by Beta. The Chinese made bunny boots suck and bunny boots made by other brands don't seem to be as good as the Beta made ones.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty sure Salomon snuck into my bedroom, made a cast of my feet, put it on a pedestal, then designed their boots around it... but the perfect fit notwithstanding I love my Quest 4's and low top 2's. Flexy where they should be, stiff where they should be. Try a pair on at a minimum.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have spent some $$$ trying to find the right boot for our style of hunting. We do large scale deer drives as a gang. As a "driver" you want some nimble, almost cat like schit on your feet. Cold feet isn't a issue. While being a "watcher" you're trying not to get so cold where it's a problem considering you just got sweaty "driving" the drive before. Most of us drive one, watch one and so on. Amassing a set of gear that works for me doing both roles was a learning experience for sure. Boots? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Meindl-Mens-Perfekt-trade-Hikers/748580.uts

Love em.

Last edited by woodson; 08/26/17.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a pare of Salomon at the advice of Dober via Brad for the early season. I haven't really tried them out yet, but Salomon tennis shoes were pretty comfortable at my last job where I was walking on concrete all day. Boots should be no different.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
I bought a pare of Salomon at the advice of Dober via Brad for the early season. I haven't really tried them out yet, but Salomon tennis shoes were pretty comfortable at my last job where I was walking on concrete all day. Boots should be no different.

Brad knows his footwear. I did the first backpack with the Q4's with maybe an HOUR of break-in on mine. Not even a hint of a hot spot when backpacking. The low top 2's are divine. I will buy a non-Goretex pair next summer; it'll be wet here in a couple months so there's no point at this late date this summer. But man are they comfortable and more to the point they are downright therapeutic for my feet.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Meidle Perfekt hunters are what I am using now. Happy with them. Previous pair of Danners where terrible. Leaked down through the tongue and hard as heck to pull on. All of these problems with the Danners could be attributed to skimping on amount material.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like a lot of the boots mentioned here. But many of them are more suited for rocky, steep, elk hunting in cold and perhaps carrying heavy loads. My Meidle Perfekts and my old Danner Elk Hunters are such boots that work well for these purposes.

But what about a lighter boot, warmer weather, not such hard ground. An upland grouse or pheasant or quail boot?

Needs to be light, probably waterproof, and durable (which the Meidle Ultralights are NOT?) and maybe a good bit less than $300 as a result. For example are the LLBean Kangaroo boots worth a look (~$200)?

Any suggestions?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use Cabela Meindl Denalis for big game, Danner Grouse for turkey and pheasant. The Danners are not a boot for all purposes, but they are very comfortable and have been waterproof. The Denalis are tough as nails and took a while to break in, but I can go for days in them.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Remsen
I use Cabela Meindl Denalis for big game, Danner Grouse for turkey and pheasant. The Danners are not a boot for all purposes, but they are very comfortable and have been waterproof. The Denalis are tough as nails and took a while to break in, but I can go for days in them.

Thanks, that looks like the old Danner Antelopes I think they were called. They were a good American boot years ago. I suppose these are made in Asia, but might be worth a shot.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Most of $300 pluss Danners are made in the US. Though most anything under $300 is imported. Seems F'd up can't make a boot for $200 in US. Some companies can, but not many.

The cheaper boots use injection molding for soles. I am starting to thinking that is more comfortable than sewn bottoms. Ya they are throw away. But by the time the soles are shot often boot is. Worn leather may not give the support either. Sure it is soft. I suspect many of us keep our boots to long. I have a boot fetish and quite a few. Always looking for better.

So far meidl hunters with cork are best hiking. They lock the heel in, unlike denalis. Though I think I need to new cork. I got custom orthotics for work boots. Every year when I get new ones, I think why did I wait. Cheap orthotics are another thing people probably keep to long.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For early season hunting at my farm and bird hunting about anytime I use Russell Mohican Stalkers. I use orthotics in them and they offer pretty good all day comfort.

For late season when it is cold or snow is involved then I wear Pacs. I don't hunt high or in rock and scree environments these days but would have to try the Meindl boots should I do that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Danners & Redwings for me. The American made ones.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have started using the Meindl boots as well. Really like them and have not had blisters at all in the last 2 years with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that you will like the Lowas.

FWIW, I flat out love the fit and feel of my latest pair of boots: Salewa's.

They are now into their second full year of use and I hunt something almost year round, so they get a lot of wearing. They are so comfortable that I seldom switch out of boots into running shoes anymore for the drive home after a hunt. They are so comfortable I would wear them to weddings if appropriate.

A young climber who was a salesman at Second Ascent in Seattle talked me into them. For decades I have stuck to almost seamless leather boots, wrap around, folded bellows tongue etc. with the only stitching and seam up the back. These Salewa's are Goretex lined leather with a cloth tongue, rubber rand, some odd wire bracings--- and they are super light weight and superbly comfortable on steep scree or shopping mall steps, whatever. They are a little stiff for trail hiking but I don't do a lot of that nowadays.

I had never heard of Salewa boots. They are worth a look. Maybe their last merely fits my feet, but for whatever reason, they are the most comfortable or equal to my most comfortable shoe of any kind ever, plus they handle steep rock, snow, wet coastal moss and brush – and so far they have stayed dry inside.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Okanagan:

Which of the Salewas are you wearing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Docbill
Okanagan:

Which of the Salewas are you wearing?

On the size tab inside the tongue on my boot it says MS Rapace GTX.

Last edited by Okanagan; 09/27/17. Reason: found the model
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (222Sako, 160user, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,279
Posts18,486,792
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.