Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up a Kimber Montana .300 Win Mag and am considering scope options. I have a Vortex Razor HD 1.5-8 I could put on it, and have a half-dozen or so Leupold VX- 3 and 3is laying around (2.5-8).

However, there's some good deals on Leupold VX- 6 1-6s out there. I tend to lean towards lower magnification scopes.

My question is, to those who have had experience with both scopes, how does the Leupold VX-6 compare to the Razor HD?

The second part of my question is, how much better is the VX-6 vs the VX-3 line, in your opinion?

I don't twist turrets, and mostly just use 'em for hunting with the occasional range time thrown in.

I guess I'm just lookin' for a push to buy a new scope smile.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're talking about this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Razor-Riflescope-1-5-8x32/dp/B019ZUE18W
I bought this 2x10 a month ago... almost the same scope
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019ZUAF4Q

It has a long range reticle. A Leupold 3X with CDS might be better.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I own 2 of the razor HD LH scopes 2-10 models..I like them better than my VX6...I've heard a lot of complaints about the Razor's turrets and they are soft compared to leupold but so far they have been spot on when dialing!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I personally think the vx6 is the way to go, glass is more clear to me and very easy to get behind. It's like there's no glass in between you and your target.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Personally,I can't tell any difference in the glass. I have the Razor you have and love it on my 84m Montana. If you had the smaller 84m,I would definitely suggest the smaller Razor scope. On the 300 Win Mag.I might suggest the VX6 2-12 with CDS just to better match the longer range capability of that caliber. You will still have 2X for the close stuff. It would just be personal preference however,but I can't imagine burning that much powder just for short range capability.

IC B2

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your responses. R_H_Clark- I only have that Razor because of an exchange we were on last year on the perfect scope for a Kimber 84M Montana- I recommended a Leupold VX3 2.5-8, and you the Razor 1.5-8. Later I got a deal on a Razor LH from Doug, so I picked it up for my .308 Montana.
I'm a sucker for a good deal, that's why I'm considering a left-over(non-HD) VX6 1-6.

I'm not a long-range guy, by any means. I had no intention of getting a .300 Win Mag Montana, or any .300, for that matter. It's just one of those crazy stories- I know a guy who bought his first rifle and 4 boxes of .308 ammo. Went to the range and after 2 shots realized something was wrong.
You may have already guessed the problem. He bought a Montana .300 Win Mag and .308 ammo.
He thought, somehow, that he'd bought a rifle in .308. He was telling me this and, on a whim, I offered to trade my used 4 year old .308 Montana for his brand new .300 straight up. I figured what the heck, I could help the guy out and, after all, I have 3 .308s but have never owned a .300 Win Mag.
It's just a tool to me. A means to an end (though admittedly, like most of you, I have some type of weird rifle fetish). I'd poke at a deer with my .243 the same distances I would with my 7mm Mag.

Since I posted this thread, I did come across a deal on a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 with the amber triangle post that I couldn't resist. I have the 1-4 on an AR, and love it. I'll probably just roll with that.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by skeen
Thanks for you responses. R_H_Clark- I only have that Razor because of an exchange we were on last year on the perfect scope for a Kimber 84M Montana- I recommended a Leupold VX3 2.5-8, and you the Razor 1.5-8. Later I got a deal on a Razor LH from Doug, so I picked it up for my .308 Montana.
I'm a sucker for a good deal, that's why I'm considering a left-over(non-HD) VX6 1-6.

I'm not a long-range guy, by any means. I had no intention of getting a .300 Win Mag Montana, or any .300, for that matter. It's just one of those crazy stories- I know a guy who bought his first rifle and 4 boxes of .308 ammo. Went to the range and after 2 shots realized something was wrong with his rifle.
You may have already guessed the problem. He bought a Montana .300 Win Mag and .308 ammo.
He thought, somehow, that he'd bought a rifle in .308. He was telling me this and, on a whim, I offered to trade my used 4 year old .308 Montana for his brand new .300 straight up. I figured what the heck, I could help the guy out and, after all, I have 3 .308s but have never owned a .300 Win Mag.
It's just a tool to me. A means to an end (though admittedly, like most of you, I have some type of weird rifle fetish). I'd poke at a deer with my .243 the same distances I would with my 7mm Mag.

Since I posted this thread, I did come across a deal on a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 with the amber triangle post that I couldn't resist. I have the 1-4 on an AR, and love it. I'll probably just roll with that.

That Accupoint would be great. I'm considering one on my next rifle.

I would be interested to know if you liked the Razor HD LH better than the 2.5-8 Leopold. Both are good scopes but I still prefer the Razor 1.5-8.

The guy fired 2 shots of 308 in a 300 win,with no damage to him or the rifle before he got a clue?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Since you aren't twisting the VX-6 hands down. MUCH better than the VX-3 (I own both).

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

The guy fired 2 shots of 308 in a 300 win,with no damage to him or the rifle before he got a clue?

I would like to see a picture of that brass! Probably looks like a straight-walled 300 H&H!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I would be interested to know if you liked the Razor HD LH better than the 2.5-8 Leopold. Both are good scopes but I still prefer the Razor 1.5-8.

R_H_Clark, I gotta tell ya' I feel guilty, hell, almost sacrilegious saying this, but I like the Razor better. That's hard for me to admit as I've been a Leupold fan my whole life. I believed, and still believe, dollar for dollar, the VX-3 line is the best scope value.

I snapped a pic of the 3 scopes, and in order, from left to right, is my preference. I like the Razor over the Leupold, but I like the Trijicon over the Razor smile.

As soon as I can find a deal on the Accupoint 1-6, that'll be my next purchase.

That's just my opinion, and you know what they say.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by skeen

R_H_Clark, I gotta tell ya' I feel guilty, hell, almost sacrilegious saying this, but I like the Razor better. That's hard for me to admit as I've been a Leupold fan my whole life. I believed, and still believe, dollar for dollar, the VX-3 line is the best scope value.

I snapped a pic of the 3 scopes, and in order, from left to right, is my preference. I like the Razor over the Leupold, but I like the Trijicon over the Razor smile.

As soon as I can find a deal on the Accupoint 1-6, that'll be my next purchase.

That's just my opinion, and you know what they say.

[Linked Image]

I like the Trijicons too. I wished they made a 1.5-8x42 with a constant 4" of eye relief at 16 ounces or less. If that were the case,it would be a perfect hunting scope for me and I wouldn't own anything else except for long range. Just dreaming,but I like them as they are also.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Trijicon with duplex cross hairs and a green dot at center, and love it in the woods.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cotis
Since you aren't twisting the VX-6 hands down. MUCH better than the VX-3 (I own both).

+1

The VX-6 is a good jump up from the VX-3 and VX-3i. I have all three.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by cotis

Supposedly that problem was solved with the 5HD & 6HD series, time will tell after I quit cranking...even the vx6 was spotty with problems not effecting all owners, I have the vx6 also,,,,just haven't turned turrets yet.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by StrayDog
I have a Trijicon with duplex cross hairs and a green dot at center, and love it in the woods.

Does it do well in the very last light? I've never used one right at dark and I've always wondered if it would get dim enough not to mess up your night vision.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The dot is never very bright and you can dim it if you like. I have 4, one 1-4, and three 3-9. Obviously, I like them.

Last edited by bludog; 08/20/17.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 79 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,628
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.