Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've told people where I've seen game while on my way out, have helped look for game they either shot or shot at, but haven't been in a position to help pack out. If it is near a road and just need to load it up, no problem. But stopping my hunt to help a stranger out for half or a whole day, nope.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pointer
[

So I shouldn't have you on speed dial for this fall? wink

For birds? Yes.

To carry heavy schit that isn't mine? No.

Although my son would surely help you. For money.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
[

For birds? Yes.

Dave

What about dead hookers? Can I count on you? Bro

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh yeah.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone that **expects*** me to take time out of my hunt to help them pack their elk out on my back is definitely going to be disappointed. I'd say more so if they expect me to do it for free, but it isn't going to happen either way. Although I've helped people a bit, we're there to hunt for our own animals. I always try to have the phone number of a pack service in my pocket, in case we get one down further than we can or want to pack it ourselves. Be happy to share that.

I've had to pack animals out by myself on multiple occasions. It is no fun but it can be done.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy shoot a pretty good size bull moose by himself during archery season in Alaska. He got ahold of a buddy said he needed help (he was by himself) his buddy showed in a Argo they got the moose out. For the trouble coming out to help ol boy got a back strap and hind qtr. granted not much packing but still wear tare on a machine. If I'm out and about in Ak moose hunting or whatever and someone needs help we will stop and help out. Granted we are out hunting 7-10 days what's a half a day helping someone out. Hell might get a beer out of it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In general, I enjoy helping people. Now, I haven't had much opportunity to be in the elk woods, mainly because I went 10 years between tags. But, when I was a kid, my dad, grandpa and I would offer our help to anyone who looked like they needed it while elk hunting. Elk dead? Lets load it up. Far from your truck in the cold? We'd give a ride. Stuck in the snow? Do our best to pull you out with out getting stuck ourselves. First elk on the ground and you don't know how to gut it? Grab your knife, we'll show you how.

As stated previously. If someone TELLS me I'm helping them, Ill prove them wrong. Ask for help in a non-douche way, and I'm more then happy to help.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Elk dead? Lets load it up. Far from your truck in the cold? We'd give a ride. Stuck in the snow? Do our best to pull you out with out getting stuck ourselves. First elk on the ground and you don't know how to gut it? Grab your knife, we'll show you how. .....

Ask for help in a non-douche way, and I'm more then happy to help.

Perhaps I should re-frame the question, as Clark did so eloquently:

A couple miles form the truck with a heavy load that needs to be packed out on your back and will take half a day round-trip?

That was the question. No one has brought this angle up yet, but as for myself, I'm 60 and I only have so many of those round-trips in the legs. If the situation is right, sure I'll help. If it's not right, no thanks regardless of how nicely you ask. You shouldn't be asking in the first place. especiailly an old man like me, LOL.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If a stranger asks me to help pack their elk out while I have a tag in my pocket, the answer will be "uhhhh no."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, wouldja if I offered to carry your tag?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only if I then got to ride on one of the horses, buddy ol pal.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That is a tough question you post, at least to me.

I feel guilty telling someone no if they ask for assistance. Will it cost me hunting time? Obviously. But, at the end of the day I know it would be on my mind when I laid my head down on my pillow at night if I told them no. I would probably carry as much out as I could in one trip and move along.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
[

For birds? Yes.

Dave
Deal. On at least parts of that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
If someone I didn't know ASKED me for help, I would most likely help them.

Would I VOLUNTEER to pack out their elk? Nope.

Will always help out a friend.

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~

3-7-77
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Elk dead? Lets load it up. Far from your truck in the cold? We'd give a ride. Stuck in the snow? Do our best to pull you out with out getting stuck ourselves. First elk on the ground and you don't know how to gut it? Grab your knife, we'll show you how. .....

Ask for help in a non-douche way, and I'm more then happy to help.

Perhaps I should re-frame the question, as Clark did so eloquently:

A couple miles form the truck with a heavy load that needs to be packed out on your back and will take half a day round-trip?

That was the question. No one has brought this angle up yet, but as for myself, I'm 60 and I only have so many of those round-trips in the legs. If the situation is right, sure I'll help. If it's not right, no thanks regardless of how nicely you ask. You shouldn't be asking in the first place. especiailly an old man like me, LOL.

If somebody asked me to help them out I would become angry.

Clark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most hunters are good people. willing to help out if needed.

Texas
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thank you for the fine stories, gentlemen. I think I may have gotten too cynical regarding people the last few years. Sometimes it seems like the world has filled up with idiots, morons, scumbags, and sociopaths. I'm humbled to be reminded otherwise.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Thank you for the fine stories, gentlemen. I think I may have gotten too cynical regarding people the last few years. Sometimes it seems like the world has filled up with idiots, morons, scumbags, and sociopaths. I'm humbled to be reminded otherwise.

I don't think you are too far off in your assessment Huntnshoot. When meeting new people I usually figure them to be an A-hole. Then when I am proved wrong,I am pleasantly surprised. This keeps me from being disappointed when I initially figure they are good people. I have found, thru out life, that I would have been more disappointed than I would have been pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/22/17.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If someone nicely asked if I'd use my llamas to help them, I'd likely do it. I just like working them if nothing else. They're fun on the trail.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hell, if I had llamas who needed work I'd let saddlesore call me an a-hole and still help him out. That wasn't the question though. And of course, he's not the type to be in the backcountry with his thumb up his butt wondering how he's gonna pack his elk out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.